Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 11:01 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,908,733 times

Advertisements

Rudy has always been a weird dog, LOL, and he has a few odd phobias... most aren't much of a problem, and his reactions are nothing major (putting his ears down, i.e.). But he has one that seems to be getting worse, and I'm thinking it should be dealt with asap. So what's the phobia? Chewing gum! I don't chew it myself, but my roommate does, especially since I got a little gumball machine at a party recently. It's not the gum itself that scares Rudy, but the popping/snapping - which sends him into a total panic. Usually he will flatten his ears, hide behind me as tightly as possible, and sometimes he will quiver... once he "put himself in jail" under the end-table, and refused to come out until I bribed him with cheese. I actually got a picture of that:

Now he gets anxious at the sound of the gumball machine, or if he notices anyone with gum in their mouth... so how do I deal with this? Is it all about de-sensitizing, or should I use bribes? I don't want to scare him on purpose, but I seem to remember that is a way to cure phobias. TIA for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 11:07 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times
Kinda like Katie when she pops her balls! I say get rid of the gum! There is no way to explain to him what it is. And he may have had a mean gum eating kid in his past!

Old 11-21-2008, 11:28 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,908,733 times
I rescued him as a young puppy, and he lived in the shelter before that (from probably 6-7 weeks of age)... so there were no gum-chewing kids that I know of! I guess we could make it a non-gum household, but other people might chew gum around him - and he should learn to face it, right?

Old 11-21-2008, 11:35 PM

426 posts, read 1,570,074 times
Replace the gumballs with dog treats! And let him see you getting the treat out of the gumball machine. Of course, wash it REALLY good afterwards. (Mmmm, liver flavored gumballs...)

Seriously though...you can desensitize with bribes. Give him really, really good treats when, and only when, the gum chewing is occuring. Then he should learn to associate the two.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:24 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,907,926 times
Yep, Misfitz has it right. Give him some high-value treats and chew gum while your're doing it. Work the gumball machine and give him treats. Once he accepts the chewing and using the machine, snap and pop the gum and get him used to that. There's obviously some weird association going on in his mind to gum, but you should be able to get him used to it. You can even chew gum while he eats.

One of my dogs is afraid of one of our bathrooms. He'll go into two of them, but the other one scares him to death for no reason I can figure out. He'll now come in and get a treat, then run right out. I figure I'll keep at it for another week or so, then start moving his food dish closer to the bathroom until he'll eat in there. That should do it.

Food is a wonderful thing!

Old 11-22-2008, 08:29 AM

400 posts, read 1,237,920 times
What a beautiful baby!?!?
Poor guy, our dog is afraid of the sound of fireworks (or any sound that remotely resembles it) and we live smack in the middle of about 4 areas that do fireworks regularly in summer. We're starting to use treats when the noise is going on, and it's working, slowly but surely. Try the above suggestions. Gum free house isn't really feasible since you'll probably run into gum chewers everywhere you take him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs