Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 11:55 AM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times

Advertisements

I'm not quite sure what has upset her.

The next door neighbor has a high end yard service. They are here often, snow removal, leave blowing, mowing, none of which bothers her.

They were here yesterday and unexpectedly, Pensive is worried about something in that direction. She keeps glancing that way, shuffles her feet, raises and lowers her head. She has abandoned her favorite race course that runs partially along the common fence. Even inside my garage she glances in that direction and worries.

I walked over to the fence today and she kept flinging herself across my knees to block me, to stop me from walking over there.

I know they brought in a small tanker truck and I think they sprayed fertilizer on the lawn. Not pesticide because I can't smell anything and pesticides smell strong, I've never heard of a dog being spooked by fertilizer.

The neighbor has a 6 foot fence all around, so no need to put animal repellant on the lawn.

Maybe they fired up some sort of bug zapper for the season? And the hum bothers her? Anyone had a dog bothered by a bug zapper?

There is some sort of heavy construction going on past the neighbor's house, but she just sleeps through all the clanging and banging and booms of explosives. That doesn't bother her at all.

I'm mystified by her behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 12:06 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,002,632 times
You'll have to let us know when you figure it out! Sounds like she's doing her job, tho!

Old 04-24-2018, 03:09 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,917,240 times
Oh, that's so sad.

Her world is just really off.

Check her physically to see if one of the workers threw something at her or hit her. Run your hand all over her body. If it were me,I would even consider a quick vet visit to check.

You need to go over there and check it out. See if they have something new. That zapper...I didn't know they were sold anymore. But the actual zap might startle Pensive. We used to have one many years ago before we realized it wasn't dissuading bugs but quick frying them.

Ask the owners and also call the company that worked there. Maybe someone brought a dog. Even if it was left in a vehicle barking.

And put Pensive somewhere she can't see when you go over there because she is showing great love stopping you and in her current condition it's best to thank her for her faithfulness and do as she says.

Is she so sensitive that someone yelling at her from the other side of the fence would upset her? Seems more than that though.

Keep us updated.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:55 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
Under ground electric fence that Zaps her when she get near it.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:41 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,917,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Under ground electric fence that Zaps her when she get near it.
Oh, good idea, sounds like that could be it.

The neighbor's fence...is is see through or wood?

Old 04-25-2018, 10:44 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Oh, good idea, sounds like that could be it.

The neighbor's fence...is is see through or wood?
Wouldn’t work unless Oregonwoodsmoke is so absentminded to notice a second collar on his dog...

Any sign of a varmint or snake or whatever? Could be it isn’t correlated to the yard service.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:16 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,837,514 times
My neighbor's smoke alarm went off the other day (false alarm) for about an hour and it really spooked our dog. We suspect that there are even higher harmonics than we can hear as part of the alarm.

Could it be that your neighbor put in some of those "ultrasonic" rodent or bat control things that give off a signal above human (but not dog) hearing?
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 04-25-2018, 04:41 PM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times
No one has thrown anything at Pensive or spoken crossly to her. She is never out of my sight when she is outdoors.

The neighbor has never lived there. There has never been a dog there, so no reason for him to have an invisible fence. Not that I can figure out how that would bother Pensive.

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a supersonic bat repeller. I'll have to find out if the neighbor has one because if he does, I'll put up a bunch of bat houses and try to coax the displaced mosquito eaters to my yard.

I walked around my lawn today, trying to see into the neighbor's yard. Pensive followed me. I couldn't see much. I looked at Pensive and said "what?
There's nothing there". That's what I tell her when she barks and I can't see anything to bark at. At that point, she noticed a very attractive stick and grabbed that up to do the stick dance.

She's decided that whatever is over there isn't coming over here. But several times she has stopped playing to stand in the middle of the yard to listen in the direction of the neighbor's.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:10 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,964,408 times
Can you go over there and take a walk around the place? See what you can see.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:14 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
Made me think of that old Hitchcock movie "Rear Window."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs