Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2018, 08:44 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times

Advertisements

my 7 year old sheltie started to lose hair on the top of her nose. her coat and tail thinned. her skin was flakey. she put on a few pounds with the same food and quantity. she was slightly less happy and energetic, a few nervous tics appeared. I noticed the changes but attributed all of them to age. all these changes were very, very subtle.

Yesterday, I happened to see a photo of my dog 6 months ago. her physical appearance had noticeably changed.

we made an appointment with the vet immediately after I saw that photo. a blood test revealed she was severely hypothyroid....her thyroid was barely functioning. our vet had seen her a few months ago for her annual check up. He ran standard blood tests, thyroid function tests aren't standard, because she is a senior and all came back normal. the diagnosis was missed at that time. she was put on a diet because of her weight gain.

anyway, she is now taking an inexpensive, daily pill to correct her low thyroid function and her life should drastically improve in just a few weeks.

just a heads up to dog owners. hypothyroidism is not uncommon. this disease can cause very, very subtle changes over time which are easy to miss. vets don't check for it regularly in annual exams. If your dog seems 'off', consider asking your vet to check for it. especially for middle aged dogs. I wish I had been educated and observant enough to recognize these subtle symptoms earlier, but at least I found out yesterday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 01:33 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
Thank you for your informative post. Hopefully, it will help others to recognize these symptoms enough to take their dog to a vet.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Thank you for your informative post. Hopefully, it will help others to recognize these symptoms enough to take their dog to a vet.
thanks, gouligann. I hope my learning curve and post triggers recognition in one owner who will get help for their suffering companion. my vet said 1 in 100 to 150 dogs develop hypothyroidism. and that is the ones who are lucky enough to get diagnosed and treated. hypothyroidism is common in dogs! I've owned 9 dogs in my life and this is my first dog with this disease.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:47 AM

Just a quick follow up. after two months of being treated for her hypothyroidism, my dog is a new dog!

Physically, she has started regaining her lost fur. her skin no longer flakes. she has lost weight and has energy to play.

emotionally, she wages her tail and happily engages with the family again.

one daily, little, cheap thyroid pill has made such an amazing difference to the quality of life for my little girl.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:09 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,154,449 times
Bless you dog owners who DO take your furbaby to the vet. Too many owners fail to do this. I talked to one lady just yesterday whose dog has UTI symptoms--she's giving the dog asprin for it. (thank goodness she wasn't giving the dog Tylenol!! as ibuprofen is highly toxic to dogs). I urged her to take her dog to the vet and bring a urine sample if possible.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:54 AM

19,838 posts, read 12,099,283 times
There is a great Hypothyroid Dogs Facebook group. I joined when one of my fosters returned and I suspected hypothyroidism but he was tested and is okay. I’m still watching but his energy improved when I switched him to raw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs