Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 11:24 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times

Advertisements

I have two senior dogs, 10+. While the lab could still walk for what I am guessing, days, the chow/shepherd/etc. just can't walk that far anymore. We are getting ready to go camping and we walk quite a bite, and I saw this jogger stroller for dogs up to 75 lbs. I haven't looked for any others yet and the price is sort of but I have the money and if it looks like a good choice, I'm ready to spend the money. We would be on dirt-type roads walking through the campgrounds. Rinnie loves camping!

This is the stroller: G7 Jogger Pet Stroller by Gen 7 | Jeffers Pet Thoughts would be appreciated. I have only been considering this since yesterday because previously I only saw strollers for smaller dogs and this looks to be a real possibility for slightly rougher terrains.

Thanks for your thoughts and advice. Rinnie weighs in at about 60 lbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 11:32 AM

231 posts, read 334,427 times
It looks like the dog would have to sit the whole time which might be uncomfortable.

I recently bought a doggyride original dog stroller ($280) for my senior dog who weighs 75-80 lbs but it did not work out. The stroller was wide enough but it was not long enough. My shepherd mix has long legs. Another big problem was that the stroller was much higher than anticipated (due to the wheels) so it would have been hard for my dog to get in.

I also wish my senior dog could walk with me more but I haven't found a solution. Also, if you do get a stroller where a dog could lay down, please buy a crate mat or some kind of cushioning.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:44 AM

Here is another choice at Amazon: Amazon.com : Pet Gear Expedition Pet Stroller for cats and dogs up to 150-pounds, Blue Sky : Pet Carrier Strollers : Pet Supplies and another one: Amazon.com : Best Choice Products® 2 in 1 Pet Dog Bike Trailer Bicycle Trailer Stroller Jogger w/ Suspension Red : Pet Supplies

In the past, I have had pretty good luck with what JeffersPet has carried as far as products and can get input from someone that works there and has worked with dogs for years even having volunteered at the shelter when Rinnie was puppy.

Thanks for your input "nomnom". We have a couple different sizes of crate mats, memory foam now that would cushion.

Rinnie has short legs like a chow. She can still climb stairs although I am hoping to move to eliminate that for the future.

I always assure that Rinnie is comfortable. She's my baby.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:58 AM

My update: After reading a ton of reviews, I ordered this one this morning and will come back with a review should anyone need such info in the future.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&psc=1&smid=

Old 04-14-2016, 08:34 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,479,957 times
I'm too late to chime in with advice but I wanted to wish you good luck! Let us know how it works out.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:11 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
I hope this works for you! Your little one will be really glad to still get her "walks". We used a regular baby umbrella stroller for our little pug, but she only weighed 12 pounds. She was soooo glad to be able to walk and sniff about 20 feet and then ride for the rest.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:47 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I am not familiar with the stroller, but I've ordered from Jeffers for decades and it has always been a good experience.

I wanted a jogger stroller for my Papillons, so I could lift them up and place them in a safe place when loose dogs attacked.. I found an off road jogger stroller made for humans, with a removable car seat, for $15 at a thrift store. The car seat is removed and a wire dog crate is fastened in its place. Sort of like a shark cage for tiny dogs who go out in public with the out-of-control loose land sharks.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:31 PM

We have had her out 3 times with it. Per the reviews if the dog puts all of its weight toward the back it tips some what and you just have to hang on tight. When she sits toward the front or lies down it is a breeze. She has a long body like a shepherd with chow legs. She can sit, turn around and lie down in it. It runs very smoothly on the pavement and a little rougher in the gravel. We found it is easier for her to load from the front than the back. I put a memory foam crate pad in the bottom. It is too wide to bring in the house but it works out better storing in the garage anyway because of all the steps we have. My husband said if we removed the wheels and something else, we could get it in the house and he said it wouldn't be that difficult to do.

If only I could ride in there and she was pushing, I would enjoy quite a bite more.

We do draw attention from the traffic.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:44 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
I love that; what a great dog owner.

It's funny every night I see a guy wheeling his GSD around in one of those heavy duty folding wagons.

He has a second GSD who's always walking with them and circling the wagon, too.

Everyone looks very happy.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:00 PM

231 posts, read 334,427 times
Glad to hear that it is working out for you! I attract attention with my dog ramp for my car so I'm sure it's even more for you but you'll get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs