Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 01:49 PM

777 posts, read 1,337,732 times

Advertisements

anyone use any of them or had experience giving them to your dog? Side effects? Pros? Cons? Price?

The topical stuff isn't working very well at all for my hairy Cairne Terrier mix, and on top of that, she has allergies and is scratching way too often. We are moving back to CA where she ended up with a really bad flea infestation last time we were there, so I want to get her on something that is nearly 100% effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 01:56 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,365,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaundercover View Post
anyone use any of them or had experience giving them to your dog? Side effects? Pros? Cons? Price?

The topical stuff isn't working very well at all for my hairy Cairne Terrier mix, and on top of that, she has allergies and is scratching way too often. We are moving back to CA where she ended up with a really bad flea infestation last time we were there, so I want to get her on something that is nearly 100% effective.
We use Revolution........are dogs do not get fleas or, tics.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:05 PM

777 posts, read 1,337,732 times
I'm reading that even though these pills are effective, they only kill adult fleas. So if there's eggs and babies growing in the yard, is it going to repel them at all? Or will the dog just end up with baby fleas until the stuff kills them as adults?

Old 05-10-2016, 02:12 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,365,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaundercover View Post
I'm reading that even though these pills are effective, they only kill adult fleas. So if there's eggs and babies growing in the yard, is it going to repel them at all? Or will the dog just end up with baby fleas until the stuff kills them as adults?
Revolution is an oil......you just rub it in their necks.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:37 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,255,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Revolution is an oil......you just rub it in their necks.
Just to be clear...Revolution is much more than an oil. All the spot-ons are serious chemicals and all have reports of adverse side effects. Some of those reports are certainly coincidental and unrelated but there are far too many for those products to be considered safe IMO. Many dogs tolerate them but some do not. The unfortunate part is that you don't know if your dog is one of the "some do not" until it's too late...you can't take it back after you've applied it.

And please don't rub Revolution on your dog's neck...that is not good for you or for your dog. Simply part the hair and squeeze out the contents of the tube, dragging the tube lightly along the skin. Do not touch the contents of the tube.

I use natural methods successfully (Bug Off Garlic, Tickz herbal and Geranium Bourbon essential oil). My holistic vet suggests Nexgard for those who, for whatever reason, desire a different approach.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:17 AM

422 posts, read 336,734 times
Our vet recommended nextgard and gave us one free to try to see how the dog took it. No problems! I haven't seen any fleas or ticks, but honestly, our pup isn't outside too much, but we do have lots of wild animals around so I do get concerned with possible ticks.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:16 AM

80 posts, read 72,780 times
It is safe to deworm every month. I use heartgard/nexgard combination for my dogs and cats. (both from either walmart/amazon/ petbucket)

Old 05-12-2016, 01:37 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,573,644 times
We get Nexgard from our vet for both dogs. It is a chewable and gets rid of fleas and ticks.
It's not cheap, but fleas and ticks are bad here in Dallas.

We used to use topicals for our other dogs. They come with tons of warnings. Bad for the humans, and bad for the dogs (IMHO).

Old 05-12-2016, 04:19 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,551,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
We get Nexgard from our vet for both dogs. It is a chewable and gets rid of fleas and ticks.
It's not cheap, but fleas and ticks are bad here in Dallas.

We used to use topicals for our other dogs. They come with tons of warnings. Bad for the humans, and bad for the dogs (IMHO).
We have two small dogs. One is 16 and she has lost weight due to a poor appetite. I have Revolution here but haven't applied it to either of them yet. I have done some research online and what I read is scaring me. Even on the package it says not to give to an underweight dogs or dogs with delicate digestion issues. Our older dog has both problems.

I also read that Nexgard can have adverse reactions. The Soft, Beef-Flavored Chew Dogs Love | NexGard® (afoxolaner) Chewables from the makers of FRONTLINE® Plus

Quote: " IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION:
NexGard is for use in dogs only. The most frequently reported adverse reactions include vomiting, dry/flaky skin, diarrhea, lethargy, and lack of appetite. The safe use of NexGard in pregnant, breeding or lactating dogs has not been evaluated. Use with caution in dogs with a history of seizures."

Now I don't know what to do. We hardly have any problems that I've heard of where we live, but will be traveling into the states this summer and wonder if we should just not give them anything and take our chances? So confusing and scary... is it worth the risk?

Thoughts?

Old 05-15-2016, 08:24 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,255,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
We have two small dogs. One is 16 and she has lost weight due to a poor appetite. I have Revolution here but haven't applied it to either of them yet. I have done some research online and what I read is scaring me. Even on the package it says not to give to an underweight dogs or dogs with delicate digestion issues. Our older dog has both problems.

I also read that Nexgard can have adverse reactions. The Soft, Beef-Flavored Chew Dogs Love | NexGard® (afoxolaner) Chewables from the makers of FRONTLINE® Plus

Quote: " IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION:
NexGard is for use in dogs only. The most frequently reported adverse reactions include vomiting, dry/flaky skin, diarrhea, lethargy, and lack of appetite. The safe use of NexGard in pregnant, breeding or lactating dogs has not been evaluated. Use with caution in dogs with a history of seizures."

Now I don't know what to do. We hardly have any problems that I've heard of where we live, but will be traveling into the states this summer and wonder if we should just not give them anything and take our chances? So confusing and scary... is it worth the risk?

Thoughts?
My holistic vet supports my use of Petzlife's Tickz herbal supplement (every two months) combined with daily Springtime's Bug Off Garlic and daily Plant Therapy's Geranium Bourbon essential oil (one drop applied to the topskull, withers and base of tail). I've had very good results with this approach on our tick-infested property in WI. We have tons of rabbits so we likely have lots of fleas too but not on the dogs. For her clients who require a stronger or easier approach she does recommend Nexgard. She looked at the reactions reported for Nexgard and felt they were likely unrelated. She does not advise any of the other flea/tick chemicals as she feels many of those reports are likely related to the products used. Just some info for your consideration.

Tick borne disease is nasty and if you are traveling to an area with ticks you should use some type of prevention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs