U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-16-2008, 04:40 PM
 
960 posts, read 1,463,151 times
Reputation: 409

Advertisements

Has anyone had xrays done on their dogs in relation to a lump?
Long story short, our vet is assuming that our dog has a hernia, but has not ruled out the possibility of a tumor. She has a lump in her lower stomach, that has increased in size over the last week. She is going in for surgery in about 2 weeks, the soonest we could get her in.
I was wondering, however, if anyone has had xrays done prior to this kind of exploratory/repair surgery? Or do vets in general, only do xrays for broken bones and those kinds of situations?
Thanks for all your responses.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-16-2008, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Marion, IN
8,191 posts, read 29,269,163 times
Reputation: 7294
My last dog had x-rays done to confirm cancer. My current dog has had x-rays to look for an intestinal blockage.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2008, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Beautiful place in Virginia
2,679 posts, read 10,906,672 times
Reputation: 1339
Xrays are helpful to look at bowel gas, kidney stones or large tumors in the chest/abdomen. You can also diagnose problems with bones (fractures/tumors).

If there is a problem with soft tissues, an ultrasound is better.

I have heard that the zoo uses a CT scan for large animals but I don't know if they do domesticated animals like our pets.

My firsthand experience is imaging humans (CT,MRI, Ultrasound, Nuclear Medicine, Mammography, Fluoroscopy, Xrays) not dogs.

Our dog had a hernia. However, it was clinically obvious. We did not have imaging. A cheaper alternative would be to listen to the 'mass' with a stethescope - if there are bowel sounds then it's a hernia. However, there are other types of hernias that contain fat or other tissues that do not obviously have bowel sounds. LOL!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2008, 01:51 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
409 posts, read 2,643,939 times
Reputation: 386
My shih ztu has a large soft lump on her side. Looks weird, but doesnt bother her at all. My vet did a needle biopsy and tested as a fatty tumor. It really hasnt gotten much bigger, was big to begin with, but he truthfully told me removing it means putting her under and next year it could return. We are living with it and she is fine.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2008, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Jax
8,204 posts, read 33,277,737 times
Reputation: 3417
I just had a lump removed from above my 6 year old dog's eye.

It was a contusion that got infected. Since it was so close to her eye, and we had a good idea of what it might be, I just said "take it out".

We could have x-rayed and everything, but we didn't. My vet thought the x-ray might help, but might tell him nothing and I knew I wanted it out while it was smaller rather than let it grow.

Once he opened her up, he could see it was infected and it was a good thing we removed it. An x-ray would have told him nothing of the infection.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2008, 05:26 AM
 
Location: Beautiful place in Virginia
2,679 posts, read 10,906,672 times
Reputation: 1339
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I just had a lump removed from above my 6 year old dog's eye.

It was a contusion that got infected. Since it was so close to her eye, and we had a good idea of what it might be, I just said "take it out".

We could have x-rayed and everything, but we didn't. My vet thought the x-ray might help, but might tell him nothing and I knew I wanted it out while it was smaller rather than let it grow.

Once he opened her up, he could see it was infected and it was a good thing we removed it. An x-ray would have told him nothing of the infection.
IN HUMANS:
An ultrasound would be used to diagnose those if it were difficult to assess by examining the patient. I will tell you some emergency room physicians go so far as to order a CT scan. Ear, Nose and Throat specialists order CT scans of certain things (depending upon location) to make sure it is not brain tissue.

Xrays are pretty limited in the context of what Riveree said, unless there was subcutaneous air - which is hard to see sometimes.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2008, 05:19 PM
 
960 posts, read 1,463,151 times
Reputation: 409
Thanks for all the responses everyone.
titaniummd - Thanks most especially for your first hand knowledge of medical imaging.

I just assumed, like doctors do for us humans, our vet would have ordered x-rays followed by an ultrasound. But I understand from all your responses, since my dogs lump is clearly visible, xrays would not be of any benefit.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2008, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Beautiful place in Virginia
2,679 posts, read 10,906,672 times
Reputation: 1339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
Thanks for all the responses everyone.
titaniummd - Thanks most especially for your first hand knowledge of medical imaging.

I just assumed, like doctors do for us humans, our vet would have ordered x-rays followed by an ultrasound. But I understand from all your responses, since my dogs lump is clearly visible, xrays would not be of any benefit.
The most important thing about the 'hernia' is that it is reducible. if it is not reducible (the Veterinarian cannot push it back in) and the dog is not eating/changing eating habits or vomiting, the concern is about a bowel obstruction. I saw a patient's CT scan a week ago with a strangulated hernia. Bad....
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2008, 08:03 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
409 posts, read 2,643,939 times
Reputation: 386
Mine has an abdominal mass that xrays didnt really show, but ultra sound did. It is biopsied as lymphoma and traveled to intestines. My poor baby is ok so far, but only has about two months. We did the prednisone route to be middle of the road. Can't just stand by and let her pass, but refuse to make her go thru chemo. She's tired of doctors now so i promised this was the last. She is already eating better and looking better, even tho we know it is temporary. Life sucks sometimes and this is one of those times. She is the love of our life.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2008, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Manhattan, Ks
1,280 posts, read 6,553,485 times
Reputation: 1810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
Has anyone had xrays done on their dogs in relation to a lump?
Long story short, our vet is assuming that our dog has a hernia, but has not ruled out the possibility of a tumor. She has a lump in her lower stomach, that has increased in size over the last week. She is going in for surgery in about 2 weeks, the soonest we could get her in.
I was wondering, however, if anyone has had xrays done prior to this kind of exploratory/repair surgery? Or do vets in general, only do xrays for broken bones and those kinds of situations?
Thanks for all your responses.
If your vet suspects cancer, they may be doing x-rays of the lungs. This would be to make sure the cancer has not spread before they do surgery. Another thought is that if you're going to remove a growth, it's helpful to know exactly where it begins and ends before you go in.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top