Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2016, 08:54 AM

439 posts, read 959,376 times

Advertisements

Hello...before I go running to a vet, I wished to see if anyone else has experienced this issue. Trying to narrow down possibilities. Here is my story.

Teddy is a three year old big male GSD, we live in Tucson AZ and our back yard is landscaped with small rocks. Teddy is one of two dogs we have, our lab is not having this issue.

He is not left outside unattended, only goes out to do his business and see what is happening. Yes our yard receives alot of sun and the little rocks I am sure get warm.

I have been looking on the web for possible issues, one being a seasonal outside allergy, food issue or he has like athletes foot {fungal infection}.

I have on occasion seen him licking his paws and nibbling on his legs however he is not limping, back pads and flesh seem to be worse.

There is no grass in our yard, however I have been considering planting some feeling maybe the small gravel is an irritant for some reason. I do not see any lesions just yet

My vet is a no nonsense guy however tends to immediately prescribe costly scripts and by process of elimination come to a final diagnosis. Maybe I should take Teddy to another..

Anyway if anyone else has experience with this issue, please share your story.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 04:11 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,327 times
Sounds as if the rocks are too hot and may be burning the pads of his feet. Also if they aren't smooth rocks they could be cutting the pads.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:09 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Pics would be useful

Old 08-28-2016, 01:11 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
Sounds as if the rocks are too hot and may be burning the pads of his feet. Also if they aren't smooth rocks they could be cutting the pads.
Yes, I wonder about this too.

However it is also possible that the gravel is irritating his paws. If he plays and runs around back there the gravel, rocks, concrete, etc could be wearing his pads down too.

FWIW- I would look for another vet. If you can't trust your vet to give you an object fact-based diagnosis or best guess in a case like this, then why are you using them? Not everything requires an Rx and you need a vet who you can trust to reliably do right by you and your dog.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:37 PM

811 posts, read 1,556,967 times
Sounds like his pads are burned... The standard test is if you can't hold the back of your hand on the surface (rocks, concrete, whatever) for 5 seconds it is too hot for your dog to walk on. And that doesn't mean 6 seconds is OK.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:23 AM

439 posts, read 959,376 times
Default Teddy Going to Vet

Thank everyone for their response. It appears now what ever is bothering him has migrated to his ears. So I am giving in and taking him to a vet. Most likely allergies, yeast infection I suspect.

Regarding one comment or two about burnt paws, I considered that however I would think my Lab would have similar issues.

In the end I am hoping my vet will be able to give me a diagnosis on the spot and not subject my Teddy Bear to a lengthy pill regime.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:13 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudydog1 View Post
Regarding one comment or two about burnt paws, I considered that however I would think my Lab would have similar issues.
Not necessarily- it is entirely possible for the hot gravel/stones to bother one dog's pads and not the other dog's pads, in a similar way to how different people's skin has different heat/sun tolerances.

At any rate, hope your vet can sort it out quickly.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:05 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Consider some shoes. No joke. We almost ended up getting some for one of our old guys but the issue went away during his final months.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:42 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
One of my senior black labs has severe allergies and it took lots of time, lab tests, etc to come up with a treatment plan that really helps.

One of my senior black labs came to me with severe allergies. Did a full and expensive work up, blood to the lab to see what her biggest issues were. Then we did a 12 week food trial of Hills Science Diet Prescription Z-D. She improved a great deal on the scrip' food and we switched her to something else but she's very itchy again so I'm going with another prescription food, venison. Some improvement but I may go back to the Z-D.

Dust mites and Storage mites can be a big part of the problem. Here's some info about that:

FAQs about house dust mite and storage mite allergies

She is also taking Allercept Therapy Drops - Allergenic Extract Prescription Product prepared by Heska, the lab that does the blood work and the drops are custom formulated for her specific issues. They will help her body adjust and tolerate what she's got the biggest problems with but it takes about a year, according to my vet. Here's a link with info about this treatment:

Sublingual immunotherapy: A new option for allergy patients

She gets treated with gentocin/miconazole drops in both ears twice a day. When I first got her her ears were so blocked/inflammed that the vet could not get an otoscope down in them but they are much improved now. She will need this stuff for the rest of her life.

She also takes three 25 milligram tablets of diphenhydramine twice a day as an antihistamine. I get the generic bottle by Rexall that has 365 tablets for $6.75. She will also need this for the rest of her life.

I know this is a lot of info but I hope it helps others learn about dog allergies and how to deal with them.

I now buy the antihistamine at Costco - bottle of 600 is about $4.

On Sunday I started her on a fairly new drug, Apoquel. It is pricey, (about $73 bucks for the first two weeks) at least this first batch of 16 mg. pills taking 2 a day for the first 2 weeks, then the dosage will drop to half that if it helps her. Costco doesn't carry it yet because they can't get it from Zoetis, the manufacturer. Their website claims that they have fixed the problems of availability.

So if it is allergies it may take some time to figure it out. I hope your dogs problem is no where near as severe as mine and that it won't be too costly to figure it out and treat it.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:19 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
The rocks are burning his feet. Try using a thermometer to see how hot the rocks actually are.

Also, maybe wash the surface, incase a weed killer had been applied.

I would also contact my vet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs