Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 10:24 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,345,883 times

Advertisements

OP screams cat person if I've ever seen one lol.

I love cats personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 10:55 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,057,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Do you want one that does not shed, but will need regular grooming appointments?
I should also say I'm somewhat allergic to dogs. It's nothing like my cat allergies, which are crippling within 15 minutes of being around a cat. But some dogs make me short of breath to even be around, while other dogs don't cause an issue at all. So I think we'd need to try a dog out to make sure it doesn't cause allergy issues as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I agree either be in all the way or don't get a dog. What if for whatever reason (trip, school project etc) the wife and kids aren't around and you will have to take care of the dog. Also if they're all out of the house, the dog is going to want to hang out with your because you are the only one there.
Again, I'm not upset about the care. I've cared for animals before - that's no big deal at all. The only thing I have trepidation about is walking a dog, mainly because I'm worried that other dog walkers might want to make small talk with me, and I don't care for small talk at all.

What I'm concerned about is just that I'm not sure I will be able to bond with a dog emotionally. I'm not someone with a high need for companionship anyway. I prefer my pets as roommates, and in some cases like my cats and rats I'd say I was even friends with them. I can't see ever see considering any pet - dog or otherwise - as "part of the family" however. I'm just worried that without that emotional bond that there will be no "payoff" to owning a dog for me, and I'll come to resent a creature which of course deserves love.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:59 AM

8 posts, read 7,033 times
I might be the only one but I think it is ok for just you to not like the dog. just as long as you don't abuse it or be mean to it.

My dad does not like dogs but he let me get one when I was living at my parents' house. he ignores my dog and vice versa. my dog is independent and likes to be in the same space but is not the type to cuddle. she is a mutt but she was independent even as a pup.

ironically I have an Australian shepherd who is a love bug and needs to be loved by all family members. she is always in our faces and no amount of affection seems enough. my dad loves her so much that he even dog sits for me but he still ignores my mutt and she nor I care.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:48 AM

1,762 posts, read 2,100,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimaro1 View Post
I might be the only one but I think it is ok for just you to not like the dog. just as long as you don't abuse it or be mean to it.

My dad does not like dogs but he let me get one when I was living at my parents' house. he ignores my dog and vice versa. my dog is independent and likes to be in the same space but is not the type to cuddle. she is a mutt but she was independent even as a pup.

ironically I have an Australian shepherd who is a love bug and needs to be loved by all family members. she is always in our faces and no amount of affection seems enough. my dad loves her so much that he even dog sits for me but he still ignores my mutt and she nor I care.
I actually agree with this too. As long as you are not abusive to the dog and you can take minimal care of it if needed, I don't see why you need to love the dog as much as your wife does. My mom was never a big pet person but she always let my brother and I have dogs and while she respected the animals, she was never overly affectionate towards them.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:25 PM

10,368 posts, read 8,006,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I should also say I'm somewhat allergic to dogs. It's nothing like my cat allergies, which are crippling within 15 minutes of being around a cat. But some dogs make me short of breath to even be around, while other dogs don't cause an issue at all. So I think we'd need to try a dog out to make sure it doesn't cause allergy issues as well.
You might want to consider a well-bred Standard Poodle. They generally cause fewer problems with allergy sufferers than most other breeds do, and while affectionate they are not generally "love me, love me, love me RIGHT NOW" pushy.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:33 PM

997 posts, read 938,894 times
I think that should be your wife's decision. It will be her dog. Some dogs are less allergenic.

You might end up liking the dog. You don't have to be a dog lover to like your own dog. Some people aren't kid lovers but they like their own kids.

I would let your wife decide what dog she wants. You might get a shelter dog. That is what I have done in the past and had good luck. I would at least look and maybe your wife's dog will let you know which one it is. You don't have to decide right away but if you make a family outing out of it then there might be a special trip where you find the right dog.

You can look online and see what dogs are available at the shelter.

It is good that your daughter is reading about dog breeds because that information might come in handy.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:46 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,599,150 times
You may surprise yourself. I have found that many people that claim they do not like dogs have never lived with a dog so they do not understand the bond one can have with one.Knowing other people's dogs is not the same at all.

I grew up with dogs and they have always been a part of my life yet my relationship with each one has been different.They all have brought something different into my life.There was one that I call my once in a life time e dog as she was extremely intelligent and clever and our relationship was so different then with any of the others. Until one has that experience one can not uunderstand it, same goes to living with a dog.

One of my coworkers husbands was a cat person claimed he did not like dogs but she did.She accepted that then one day he came home with a puppy that sort of got dumped on him at work...They kept it and it did not take him long to realize that he did enjoy having a dog.That dog became so spoiled and much of it by him. The dog is 12 yrs old now and I know how much they both are dreading the day he will no longer be around.They also have been enjoying dog sitting a couple neighbors and friends dogs for several years now something I would never have seen happening before he brought home the dog.

If you do get a dog do not go in with a closed mind saying I do not like dogs I do not want a relationship with one,instead open your mind to tthe possibilities that you could like this dog.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:07 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,599,150 times
You may surprise yourself. I have found that many people that claim they do not like dogs have never lived with a dog so they do not understand the bond one can have with one.Knowing other people's dogs is not the same at all.

I grew up with dogs and they have always been a part of my life yet my relationship with each one has been different.They all have brought something different into my life.There was one that I call my once in a life time e dog as she was extremely intelligent and clever and our relationship was so different then with any of the others. Until one has that experience one can not uunderstand it, same goes to living with a dog.

One of my coworkers husbands was a cat person claimed he did not like dogs but she did.She accepted that then one day he came home with a puppy that sort of got dumped on him at work...They kept it and it did not take him long to realize that he did enjoy having a dog.That dog became so spoiled and much of it by him. The dog is 12 yrs old now and I know how much they both are dreading the day he will no longer be around.They also have been enjoying dog sitting a couple neighbors and friends dogs for several years now something I would never have seen happening before he brought home the dog.

If you do get a dog do not go in with a closed mind saying I do not like dogs I do not want a relationship with one,instead open your mind to tthe possibilities that you could like this dog.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:33 PM

32,672 posts, read 48,139,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
......, bad match for OP, .........
The dog is not for OP. The dog is for his wife and kids, and kids generally want a dog that will play with them and be a buddy to them.

OP is emotionally distant, doesn't want to be bothered, doesn't want to talk to people, wants to be left alone in the evening, so his kids could probably use a little unconditional attention and some furry cuddling.

OP's family needs a family dog for the family and OP can just sit in the corner and not interact with the dog. The dog isn't for him.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:47 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,421,525 times
Hey OP - you should try fostering before getting dog as a long term pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs