Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 11:00 AM

234 posts, read 162,850 times

Advertisements

Just got him the other day and so far I couldn't be happier. He's such a sweetheart and is super super mellow for a heeler (at least from all accounts I've read). I thought heelers were supposed to have boundless energy and always go, go, go but this little guy is content to just lay by my side a lot of the time and get loved on. He never barks and doesn't nip at your heels like heelers often do. Since I can't take him out in public much yet (until he's got all his shots) I wanted to show him off on the web Anyone of you guys on here have heelers? What were the first few months like with your heeler puppy?
Attached Thumbnails
My new (and first) little fur baby-puppy.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 11:38 AM

6,624 posts, read 6,583,261 times
What a cutie!~ Love the split colouring on his face

I don't know his age, but he might be still too young to have the "zoombies" yet. When they are young, they sleep a lot.

Have fun!

Old 11-19-2016, 11:42 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,643,340 times
Adorable! Congratulations!

Old 11-19-2016, 11:54 AM

643 posts, read 413,203 times
Awwww, he's so cute - love the eye patch! Congrats on your new fur baby.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:00 PM

965 posts, read 944,696 times
How old is he? He looks quite young since he is still so light. If it has just been a day or 2, or if he is quite young - things will change. Is he really your first dog ever?
o.m.g. I love heelers above all others, but don't be fooled

What is your lifestyle? I hope you are super super super active, it sounds like you have read, have you met any heelers?

Take this time as a blessing, that will not last! In my family we joke that they start to mellow about about 13 years old, 11 maybe, but by then you are use different to it. But hey, we choose them because we want that active, brilliant, soul in our lives. So, it is a good thing!

Do you have obedience classes set up? Do you know anyone who does agility, Nosework, herding? If not, now is the time, as your vet, groomers, your local shelter, or pound, friends, and your local paper and Craigslist for training classes. The best ones aren't found online ime.

Find a group that has puppy classes, start now, and go continuously, trick classes, anything you can find at least until he is at least 2 years old. By classes I mean not big box store classes.

Take him everywhere with you now, and get him used to everything strange. If you have friends with good dog friendly dogs do introduce them in a disease free yard. Don't wait until he is 4 months. He needs early and consistent training, and socializing. They can be prone to same sex aggression, so be sure he has good experiences, and try to avoid the dog park, and rough, strange dogs.

Since he is (I think) your first, you won't really know his is a lot of work if you keep him busy for hours every single day he will be a treasure. Don't expect that a walk around the block will be enough. If he starts to destroy things in the house you will know you have not given him enough exercise.

Are you crate training?
Keep us posted. He is really precious.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:15 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,881,233 times
oooh look at the expression-
hes an adorable little baby- but that expression
hes all heeler-

he will have boundless energy and sharp little teething teeth-
think raw marrow bones and lots of exercise !

I think its great he's a great snuggler and is bonding to you- thats what these sweet baby days are for- enjoy them-
you're in a great location for fun outdoor adventures-
my guys usually are good about staying close on hikes- and I definitely second the puppy class idea/ plus its fun to get out and see other peoples puppies too--

(don't worry about crate training too much its not an absolute necessity and only came into fashion the last 20 years or so, really, I personally think its a huge industry the manufacture/ selling/ training classes around crates -
I have had boxers, a Bernese mountain dog, a golden, a treeing walker, an airedale, a giant schnauzer- as house dogs- no crate training - so believe me on that)..

Heelers are great dogs. I've never had one it will be interesting to hear how he grows up- keep us updated!!

Old 11-19-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
What a cutie!~ Love the split colouring on his face

I don't know his age, but he might be still too young to have the "zoombies" yet. When they are young, they sleep a lot.

Have fun!
He's 8 weeks old. What are the "zoombies"?

Old 11-19-2016, 01:47 PM

32,757 posts, read 48,432,926 times
He's gorgeous.

I'm going to give you some good advice: have your plan in place to deal with high energy because it is coming to your future.

Heelers do not nip heels if you do not permit it. It is a training issue.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
How old is he? He looks quite young since he is still so light. If it has just been a day or 2, or if he is quite young - things will change. Is he really your first dog ever?
o.m.g. I love heelers above all others, but don't be fooled

What is your lifestyle? I hope you are super super super active, it sounds like you have read, have you met any heelers?

Take this time as a blessing, that will not last! In my family we joke that they start to mellow about about 13 years old, 11 maybe, but by then you are use different to it. But hey, we choose them because we want that active, brilliant, soul in our lives. So, it is a good thing!

Do you have obedience classes set up? Do you know anyone who does agility, Nosework, herding? If not, now is the time, as your vet, groomers, your local shelter, or pound, friends, and your local paper and Craigslist for training classes. The best ones aren't found online ime.

Find a group that has puppy classes, start now, and go continuously, trick classes, anything you can find at least until he is at least 2 years old. By classes I mean not big box store classes.

Take him everywhere with you now, and get him used to everything strange. If you have friends with good dog friendly dogs do introduce them in a disease free yard. Don't wait until he is 4 months. He needs early and consistent training, and socializing. They can be prone to same sex aggression, so be sure he has good experiences, and try to avoid the dog park, and rough, strange dogs.

Since he is (I think) your first, you won't really know his is a lot of work if you keep him busy for hours every single day he will be a treasure. Don't expect that a walk around the block will be enough. If he starts to destroy things in the house you will know you have not given him enough exercise.

Are you crate training?
Keep us posted. He is really precious.
He's 8 weeks old and he does sleep a lot during the day and then at night squirms around alot in his sleep or wakes me up in the middle of the night with kisses. Ive been letting him sleep in my bed with me to help with any separation anxiety he might have from his mom/siblings. I tried letting him sleep next to my bed on the floor, but he woke in the middle of night unbeknownst to me and peed on my room floor. But when he's in bed with me, I can hear him whimpering and let him outside to potty before any accidents happen.

Haven't enrolled him in puppy classes yet as he hasn't had all his vaccination shots yet. If I go into town, I'll keep him in a puppy sling so he can see what's going on, but keep him safe from anything he might catch like parvo. I did try to introduce him to the neighbors 2 dogs but they are bigger dogs, and very hyper and bark loud. He didn't like that at all and cowered and then bolted into the woods to hide lol.
For now, I'll just take him for walks in the woods near my house for the most part and try and socialize him as much I can after his 2nd round of shots.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
oooh look at the expression-
hes an adorable little baby- but that expression
hes all heeler-

he will have boundless energy and sharp little teething teeth-
think raw marrow bones and lots of exercise !

I think its great he's a great snuggler and is bonding to you- thats what these sweet baby days are for- enjoy them-
you're in a great location for fun outdoor adventures-
my guys usually are good about staying close on hikes- and I definitely second the puppy class idea/ plus its fun to get out and see other peoples puppies too--

(don't worry about crate training too much its not an absolute necessity and only came into fashion the last 20 years or so, really, I personally think its a huge industry the manufacture/ selling/ training classes around crates -
I have had boxers, a Bernese mountain dog, a golden, a treeing walker, an airedale, a giant schnauzer- as house dogs- no crate training - so believe me on that)..

Heelers are great dogs. I've never had one it will be interesting to hear how he grows up- keep us updated!!
Thanks! Yea he definitely has some sharp little teeth on him but he's pretty good about not biting hard. He loves chewing on his rawhide bone.

Yea, I don't think I'll do the crate thing....so far I don't think I'll need it.

And yes, we live on 5 acres at the end of a private road surrounded by woods. And LOTS and LOTS of amazing hiking here. I plan to take him on lots of small hikes in the spring and eventually do the PCT through WA with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs