Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 02:40 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,571,613 times

Advertisements

I would like to rehome one of our dogs, and I need ideas for how to do it.

She is a lovely girl and has a wonderful disposition, but is not an easy dog, and has some issues.
While NOT AN ISSUE FOR US, but an issue as far as rehoming is concerned, she pees when she gets excited (submissive urination). The vet said some dogs just don't grow out of it.
She's about 2 1/2 years old now, so I don't think that's going to change.

But with that issue, breed rescues aren't going to take her.
Besides she's part Aussie mix and part German Shepherd, not just primarily one breed.

So, I'm looking for ideas other than breed rescue.

I'll ask her kennel if they'll put up a flyer.
I'll let the dog-loving neighbors know.
I'll let her vet know.

What else can I do to find her the right home?

Ironically, in two days it'll be two years since we adopted her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 04:35 PM

32,640 posts, read 48,015,234 times
She is lovely and you aren't bothered by her submissive urination... so why are you rehoming her?

She's not a purebred so bred rescue probably isn't going to work.

If she us such a lovely animal, perhaps one of your friends, who knows the dog, will take her?

There are homes available for dogs with behavior issues. I hold myself up as an example. I took the maniac Wyatt McRiot, who was an absolutely awful animal, and I gave him a good home where he is very loved and is still defiently naughty at times. Submissive wetting would have been a cakewalk compared to what we dealt with. Not to mention that if I had to rehomed him (not going to happen) there are dozens of people who would take him, even knowing what a naughty dog he is.

You might look for no kill shelters. Ads in local newspapers sometimes work to find a local home. You just need to interview carefully and inspect the future home before turning the dog over.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:46 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times
You are allowed to post on CraigsList and ask for a small re-homing fee. I adopted one of my senior dogs from such a listing and suggested that I make a donation to the local rescue of the person who was letting Monty go. His owner thought that was a great idea. I wrote the check, she put it in the envelope and we walked it to the nearest mailbox with the dog. He was a great dog (except his love of escaping any chance he got and then coming home from some pasture after rolling in ????)

Many organizations will help you out with what is called a courtesy post. You provide a picture and description of the dog and they will put it on their website and maybe FB page. Ask the person who is interested to provide some references that you can call.

Take a look at some rescue group applications to get a sense of what to ask the potential new owner.

Last edited by zugor; 11-08-2016 at 05:18 PM..

Old 11-08-2016, 04:55 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
Please do NOT use CraigsList. IMO that is the worst way to rehome a dog. Dogfighters will look for bait dogs and resellers will lie and claim to give the dog a loving home and then resell.

If you adopted a dog from a rescue, most rescues have it in their contract that you must return the dog to them so I would start there if applicable.

Mixed breed rescues will often due courtesy posts as noted above even if they can't take the dog.

Whatever you do please charge a rehoming fee. Do not give the dog away for free and check references.

Why are you wanting to rehome? Have you tried working with a behaviorist? Often rescues will have recommendations on trainers. I know both rescues that I volunteer with use them to work with dogs that have issues. Usually the "issues" can be fixed.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:16 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,571,613 times
Thank you all for not reaming me out. I do appreciate it.

We adopted our girl from a kill shelter two years ago, and she is now somewhere between 2.5 and 3 years old.
With much effort and expense, we took her from being a wild child to a reasonably-behaved dog.
We even adopted another dog (I adore him) for her to be rowdy with. It took introductions to many dogs before we found one that not only didn't hate her, but plays roughly the way she insists.

Our girl is an Aussie mix/German shepherd mix, and has a lovely personality. She loves everybody and everything, except small animals.
But she is incredibly energetic. She is an incredibly fussy eater. It's a fight to get her to take her monthly meds. She has submissive urination issues. We can't break her from jumping on people. THESE THINGS we can deal with.

What we can't deal with is the fact that she reacts to every little noise in the morning and afternoon hours with barking.
My husband has been working rotating shifts for the last six months, and she wakes him up with the barking.
I am so stressed out by trying to keep her quiet while he's sleeping.
I can't do any more training with her. I've reached my limits.
My husband would prefer to give her a treat than work with her because he's so tired.

Pets are supposed to be enjoyable. She has been so much work. We're exhausted.
We need some peace in our house, and she needs an environment where she can be taught the rules and be herself.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:42 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
I would really try a bark collar...generally amazingly effective and the dogs catch on really quick typically.

You could still look into different rescue options. While I don't recommend turning a dog in to a rescue because you could be dealing with either an upstanding group or maybe more of an organized hoarding situation (sorry but it's the truth) there are rescues out there who will allow you to keep the pet while they advertise it as a available and do the screening of the perspective owners. Basically you're fostering your own pet until a home becomes available and they keep the rehoming fee. I think this may be ideal given the situation.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:10 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,981,246 times
We had to rehome a doberman. We had a 9 yr old male doberman and wanted to add another. So we rescued from a shelter a 6 month old female Dobie.
As she grew she became aggressive . Drew blood on everyone breaking up fights..we couldn't leave them alone for fear of her aggression.
When we used to walk them together our neighbor would always fawn over them..he was a previous Dobie owner.
When the time came to make the hard decision to rehome her he was the first person we thought of.

She did very well in their home. She was the only dog. Her whole personality changed for the better.
She got lucky. We missed her terribly but this was the best choice.
We looked on Craigslist first...but each time we inquired about the doberman in the ads....the reply would never pan out..there were some sketchy stories.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:36 PM

231 posts, read 334,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I would really try a bark collar...generally amazingly effective and the dogs catch on really quick typically.
I agree. Please try a bark collar because I talked to a lot people who used that and they swear by it. They say you only have to use it a few times for the dog to "get it." Smart dogs need to have the actual collar on even though you don't plan on using it.

I know it's frowned upon but as a last resort, I would definitely try it before I re-homed a dog.

Also I know how annoying an Aussie's bark is. It is high pitch and incessant. It really can get on a person's nerve. On the other hand, my dog is so affectionate/loyal that it's hard to stay mad for too long.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:46 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
If the choice is rehome her or a bark collar, I'd try the bark collar. I'd start with one that sprays citronella.

Good luck.

Last edited by Rowan123; 11-08-2016 at 07:04 PM..

Old 11-09-2016, 12:04 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
also check out the home she will be going too . sometimes people are just filthy amongst many other things . I went to a ladys house one day and I tell you she had 5 kids and the house smelt of urine and mildew and I told her no I think I have changed my mind sorry . yeah I was not about to leave any animal there and she already had like 4 dogs and they did not look well cared for either . I called animal control the next day I hope they did something .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs