Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 08:21 AM

50,405 posts, read 47,145,000 times

Advertisements

Ok, They appear to not be dog people at all. They get a rescue dog and just leave it in the backyard to fend for itself. It barks allllll day long. We are preparing to have a talk with them as last we did talk they were about to get two more on top of this one.

Even when they are home it is in the yard barking wanting in. Points I should bring up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 09:43 AM

3,575 posts, read 2,203,506 times
First I would talk to animal Control see if they have a noise ordinance many places do. Then you can use this piece of information when talking to them.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:30 AM

50,405 posts, read 47,145,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
First I would talk to animal Control see if they have a noise ordinance many places do. Then you can use this piece of information when talking to them.
Had to do that with another neighbor but hoping to avoid that again as it was ugly.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:54 AM

30,575 posts, read 16,263,911 times
I agree with your friendly first approach.

I'd mention it's annoying, point out that dogs are pack animals and not happy being left alone so much. Maybe even suggest the dog has separation anxiety (doubtful but who cares.) Maybe even suggest that it's not a dog compatible with their lifestyle and they might consider returning it.

before you contact animal control, see if the rescue group has a follow-up type procedure and suggest they visit.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:23 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,384,967 times
You might want to ask why they are considering getting even more rescues on top of this one (my suspicion...they will say it is so the current dog doesn't get lonely and has someone to play with). If they do respond with this sort of answer, suggest that getting another dog will most likely only exacerbate the already existing problem. Often people feel inclined to get another dog as a "fix" when the true problem is that the owner has no intention of putting the time into giving the animal love and attention. A dog left in a yard gets bored quickly, even if another dog is present, when what he or she really needs is attention, walks and the opportunity to explore ("follow their noses") and run and have fun. Interaction with the owners is a must if they want to have a happy dog.

Unfortunately, if this is the case here then you might be making suggestions that fall upon deaf ears. I too would suggest you find out what the bylaws are in your area, and if, after you've suggested that the dog isn't getting the exercise and exploration "out of yard" that he or she needs, then let them know that the dog's persistent barking is becoming disruptive. It may put the people on the defensive, but try to keep the conversation calm and friendly. And then if the problem still exists, call animal control.

Unfortunately we can't choose our neighbours, but we shouldn't be expected to put up with their irresponsible ways either. Hopefully the dog will eventually wind up finding a home with someone who really wants him.

Old 11-25-2016, 12:45 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,396,566 times
I would definitely get in touch with the rescue. That's insane. Are you the only neighbors who could report them? If you are, that could get awkward.

You could also comment that you think their rescue dog seems stressed and see if that opens up the conversation.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:15 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,878,056 times
my general process in situations like this.

Step 1: approach dog owner, Calmly kindly and "dumbly" epress your cncerns (be as sweet as pie and twice as friendly)
step 2: if you know which rescue they got the dog from a formal complaint to them
ste 3: an anonymous complaint for noise ordinances to local law
step 4: approach neighbors LESS friendly like, let them know the noise is a problem
step 5: a NONE anonymous complaint to local law.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:36 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,566,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ok, They appear to not be dog people at all. They get a rescue dog and just leave it in the backyard to fend for itself. It barks allllll day long. We are preparing to have a talk with them as last we did talk they were about to get two more on top of this one.

Even when they are home it is in the yard barking wanting in. Points I should bring up?

They should not have a dog, at all. This is very cruel to leave the dog like that, and should return the dog to the shelter. How in the world did they pass screening to adopt a dog in the first place! These type of people are unreliable and should be reported, soon; what a shame.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:10 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,007,153 times
When I was a child (a LONG time ago) my mother bred dogs. All of our dogs were "outside" dogs. They slept outside, and the attitude around our house was that was the "proper" way for dogs to behave. In my mother's way of thinking, "indoor" dogs were spoiled, and could be retrained.

I do not hold this view today. My dogs sleep inside. But I mention this because some people today think the way my mother did. However, I have seen dogs who would only adapt to sleeping outdoors if you gave them months to make the adaptation. If your neighbors are of the "outside" persuasion, I think you are not likely to convince them that more dogs will do nothing to help the barking dog's loneliness. (Although I wish you luck, and perhaps you CAN persuade them - do try!)

Dogs have, as part of their instincts, a desire to bond with humans. In some dogs this insinct is strong, in some it is not. Trying to reprogram a "social" behavior once the dog is an adult can be next to impossible. If the dog is a pup, you can teach them to be an "outside" dog, with little problem. But rescues are frequently past that "pup" stage, and so, in my opinion, their social inclinations are pretty well set for life.

So, I agree with the other posters who think this barking dog is not a good fit for this adopting family. His social habits do not match your neighbor's expectations of dog behavior. There are dogs who will be ok with being "outside" dogs - but this one doesn't sound like one of them.

Personally, I don't know why someone would have a dog if the dog stayed outside all the time, But folks do a lot of things I don't understand. I'm inclined to think you should call the rescue agency they got this dog from. A lot of rescue agencies will care about how well the placement is going, and a complaint from you may mean a lot. On the other hand, perhaps your neighbors are rescuing from an animal shelter that finds it necessary to kill a lot, or most, of the dogs they receive. Such a shelter may not be so inclined to have a response to a complaint.

So, good luck! Go gently at first - diplomatically so to speak. Toughen up as required to get results.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:33 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,245,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I would definitely get in touch with the rescue. That's insane. Are you the only neighbors who could report them? If you are, that could get awkward.

You could also comment that you think their rescue dog seems stressed and see if that opens up the conversation.
I would contact the rescue that they got their dog from if you know it, anonymously. They do not sound like what most rescues look for in potential adopters.

Most rescued dogs come from neglect cases, and these folks definitely sound neglectful to me. I know that most rescues do not advocate for leaving the dogs out alone all day in the yard, they look for owners that include them in their household.

Sounds like you'd be doing this dog, and any other dogs they are trying to acquire a favor of finding better loving homes IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs