Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 12:30 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times

Advertisements

I have always lived in warm climates with dogs, and now I am in a cold climate. I know its going to vary quite a bit, but I am having a hard time figuring out how much time my dogs can be outside in the winter.

I know my 15 year old dog (golden mix) should not be expected to be outside much at all. Just to go potty and come back in.

But I have a 2 and 4 year old high energy pit mixes who would rather NOT be outside in the cold. But they are getting into things, having accidents, etc inside. I don't walk them for a few reasons not relative to winter. But we have a big yard. In decent weather, they spend an hour 2 or 3 times a day running around our large yard together.

How do you decide how long they should be out?

I have ordered a "dog house" and a warming pad and we have a sheltered area so they can retreat to someplace warm if they get super cold. But should I expect that they spend some time outside playing?

P.S. Of course if the weather is terrible, I wouldn't expect them to do more then potty. But today is 20F, no wind, sunny but about 6 inches of snow on the ground. They are spending the day snoozing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 03:33 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
I had two Brittany Spaniels who did not like spending much time in the yard in the winter but if I took them for runs then I froze before they did especially the one. We also tried sweaters for them as winter could be up to -30C when we took them out for runs. We once lived in a even colder place and our Golden/Settler cross lived outside and was uncomfortable indoors for very lone. He had a very thick coat and a well insulated home under the steps, insulated and with straw bales around in as well. The less they spend outdoors I think the less they can handle the cold.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:22 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
As much as they want. Katie my corgi that died in October Would go out if a Rain Drop hit her she couldn't get back in fast enough. Snow some times 15 mins tops.... she the one with double winter coat!! Now the Pap Lady-Bug Once she goes out I cant get her back inside!! Nasty weather Sunny you name it she loves it.... So I need to judge if she even goes out. Paps have Long Silky coats They don't get Double coat.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
As much as they want. Katie my corgi that died in October Would go out if a Rain Drop hit her she couldn't get back in fast enough. Snow some times 15 mins tops.... she the one with double winter coat!! Now the Pap Lady-Bug Once she goes out I cant get her back inside!! Nasty weather Sunny you name it she loves it.... So I need to judge if she even goes out. Paps have Long Silky coats They don't get Double coat.
Yeah my pit pups have almost no fat layer, single coat, short hair. Clearly not built for the cold. I think I am going to make them a really warm area for them to go to outside so I can leave them for more then 2 minutes. But also I went out in the front yard with them and they seemed to enjoy playing a little. Maybe if I play with them in the snow some, they will learn to enjoy it more. I finally got my winter boots today (last year's disappeared)

Old 12-12-2016, 05:38 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Buy them a Horse Blanket Style coat.

https://www.amazon.com/Zack-Zoey-Nor...for+small+dogs

Last edited by Katie1; 12-12-2016 at 05:51 PM..

Old 12-12-2016, 06:58 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
Pitties really could use a coat or a sweater to be outside for an extended period of time. Also keep an eye on their paws, I had a big furry English Shepherd who could only last 5 minutes in the snow because her paws got too cold, they can get frost bite just like us.

I think it's a good idea to play with them in the snow it will help them burn off some energy and keep everyone sane.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Pitties really could use a coat or a sweater to be outside for an extended period of time. Also keep an eye on their paws, I had a big furry English Shepherd who could only last 5 minutes in the snow because her paws got too cold, they can get frost bite just like us.

I think it's a good idea to play with them in the snow it will help them burn off some energy and keep everyone sane.
For sure when watching them, it looks like their paws get cold pretty quickly. I just want them out and running around 20 minutes 3-4x a day to make sure they get some energy out and potty

Old 12-15-2016, 11:43 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
If your dog house ceiling is high enough, you can install one of these into your dog house https://www.prolighting.com/commerci...aporproof.html (so they don't chew on it or rest against it), and put a flap of canvas over the door. A simple 60 or 100 watt light bulb will keep the dog house warm and cozy.

An online friend of ours sells excellent dog house plans to keep them warm and protected. http://doghouseplans.ca/custom_plans.cfm

Old 12-15-2016, 03:08 PM

965 posts, read 939,042 times
I would probably wait until next fall to see how long they want to go. I have moved from -30, high altitude to desert 100+, to -50, to desert 120+, to -20 Hugh altitude. Yes, crazy extremes... My dogs seem to 100% adjust after a season in new temps. I try to adjust after a year
Like a few have said, with those thin coats I would give them sweaters for now (fleece goes over big with us), and not ask them to stay out for more than a potty break this year, unless they want to. I would bet next year they are excited about snow.
As long as the sun is shining mine want to be out, but if it is cold and windy they feel it like I do.
It takes some time for us (humans) to adjust to dogs wanting to be inside or outside more I think. Now I just don't worry about it. If I want them out so I can vaccuum in peace I send them out. Or, if they want out I let them out, just not when I am not home.
My hairy GSD hates to go out when it is windy, even if it is summer. So I don't force him then since he is like a camel.

Old 12-15-2016, 03:19 PM

965 posts, read 939,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
For sure when watching them, it looks like their paws get cold pretty quickly. I just want them out and running around 20 minutes 3-4x a day to make sure they get some energy out and potty
I don't ask mine to stay out if it is too cold for me. I go out and throw the ball or stick, or walk or whatever. I have two that will play together, chasing each other, but rarely if I am not outside with them. Sometimes if I a man not up for a walk I just stand out there's supervising tiny puppy, and the other two will start grabbing their toys and running like the wind.

If I let them out, and they go potty and ask to come back in I let them in, if they wind up inside I let them out again. Sometimes they will run around, sometimes they just sit there so i let the man back in. They end up self regulating for exercise.

Are you used to putting them in the yard to exercise themselves? I have never expected that, so I don't see it as enough exercise (for mine). If that is the case, it might be more difficult to get used to that habit (at least this year).
Maybe some brain games for winter would help? Maybe put them each in a quiet place with games or a kong a few times a day?
When it goes negative for us, we play tug, or do Nosework inside.

Are you just not used to having to let them back in so soon? Or do you really have to have the most out for a certain amount of time every day? If it is not urgent, I would play wait and see, and just change your habits up a bit for now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs