Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 07:53 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,509,430 times

Advertisements

Every dog gets his day, and a pit bull puppy named Apollo, credited with saving a teenage girl from being raped in Brooklyn, got his.

He's now being called "Apollo the hero dog!"

Link to story and video clip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 08:18 AM

981 posts, read 899,511 times
This made my day, i have two pitties and usually when i see a pit in the news it isnt a good story. thank u!

Old 12-17-2016, 09:17 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,193 times
Good Boy!

There's no such thing as a bad dog. Just bad owners.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:09 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
What a wonderful dog. Pits are so underrated. If I wasn't allergic and limited to non-shedding floofballs, I'd definitely be a proud pit owner.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:55 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaucka
This made my day, i have two pitties and usually when i see a pit in the news it isnt a good story. thank u!
Ahhhhhhhhh give them both hugs for me would ya please??

A good story indeed!!

Old 12-29-2016, 07:34 PM

103 posts, read 71,886 times
this will soon pass. im wondering what the next "dangerous" breed will be in the next 10 years.... i own 3 of the most "dangerous breeds" and they uh.... ..... are lap dogs.... pit/doberman doberman and a shep/chow mix and i am proud..pits are the most misunderstood breeds out there. they actually score the highest on the atts higher than goldens and labs.. but the media wont mention that

Old 12-31-2016, 10:31 AM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,039 times
That is what I love about these dogs, friendly and playful but protective when need be. Great story

Old 12-31-2016, 10:33 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntd06 View Post
this will soon pass. im wondering what the next "dangerous" breed will be in the next 10 years.... i own 3 of the most "dangerous breeds" and they uh.... ..... are lap dogs.... pit/doberman doberman and a shep/chow mix and i am proud..pits are the most misunderstood breeds out there. they actually score the highest on the atts higher than goldens and labs.. but the media wont mention that
If you want a real scary breed, look no further than Caucasian Shepherds. They are on average 200 lbs and born human-attack dogs with longer fangs than any other breed today. They can take on packs of wolves and bears.

Thankfully they rarely exist outside of Russia/Georgia/Azerbaijan.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:12 AM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
If you want a real scary breed, look no further than Caucasian Shepherds. They are on average 200 lbs and born human-attack dogs with longer fangs than any other breed today. They can take on packs of wolves and bears.

Thankfully they rarely exist outside of Russia/Georgia/Azerbaijan.
This is no different than the myths spread about Pit Bulls.

Hardly scary, they make excellent livestock guardians and great with the family.

The largest males are 200lbs, they do not "average 200lbs".

My female 110lbs. Weight range about 85-125lbs for females. Males 100lbs up to 200lbs sure.

They are not born "human-attack dogs" let's not sensationalize here. They are bred with a defense drive and territorial instinct. They will be protective of their property, their people and their animals. Unless your a predator after stock or a person planning a B&E you do not typically have anything to be scared of. Like most stock and defense driven dogs, they just have a need to protect. Not usually the type of dog to go off site to attack or even pursue a trespasser. They just want the threat to leave. They also give ample warning, some dogs barely give that and are quicker to attack.

They would only be scary if you are somewhere you shouldn't be, doing something you shouldn't be, ect. There are going to be exceptions of poor owners, but that isn't the norm. The only "scary" one I ever met with raised without socialization and encouraged to be aggressive to anyone and everyone, which is completely the opposite of what you want to do with a defense driven guardian breed. I have no doubt the dog would attack me. None of the others I have ever met have been scary.

The longest fangs? Where are you getting what sounds like unfounded information. I can not say what breed has the longest for sure, but Kangals appear to have some of the longest canines on average from what I have seen. Caucasians to me do not appear to be the longest, especially comparatively. Even young Kangals have "long fangs".

Take on wolves? Can't most livestock guardians? That is what they are bred to do, so not seeing how that is different than most others. I saw a video of a Sarplaninac take on wolves and successfully defending the flock and killing wolves in the process.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:35 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,509,430 times
I've seen more vicious "rat dogs", i.e. tiny yappers than I have other breeds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs