Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 07:12 AM

811 posts, read 1,557,177 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information about this? Rosemary oil is in some dog foods as a preservative and I was told it can cause seizures. Trying to research it has shown conflicting reports and I am getting pretty confused! My old dog had a couple of mild seizures, that I know of, starting before he went on his present food which does contain Rosemary oil. He had another one last night, his 2nd in two weeks so now I am wondering if I should change his food. I called the dog food manufacturer (Victor) and they said they had heard about seizures but there is no confirmed reports and the amount used is so small it would be unlikely.
Any thoughts? I thought I had finally found a good food that he loves and that doesn't cause excess gas, which is an issue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 07:48 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
ive never herd of rosemary causeing seiures in dogs...unless the dog is already allergic to it (and liek humans animals can be allerci to anything) and even then they have to consume a fairly deacent amount.
id be more apt to belive the seiures are causd by something other than the trace aounts of rosemary oil however.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:43 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
I have to agree with Foxy, a trace amount of rosemary oil isn't likely to be the culprit. Has your dog been to the vet for a check up recently?

Old 04-10-2013, 09:37 AM

811 posts, read 1,557,177 times
Yes, he visits the vet quite regularly (skin allergies) and I did talk to them last year about the previous seizures but as they were so infrequent we decided to just monitor the situation. I think I will just keep an eye on him and if this continues on a fairly regular basis then we will talk again and see about putting him on a low dose of meds to try and control it. My previous dog had frequent Grand Mal seizures and in the end they were so bad we had to have her put down for her sake so this is a concern as you can imagine. I just didn't want the rosemary oil to exacerbate the situation.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:41 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
i think if it were rosemar oil in the food oud be seeing them much more frequntly.

id start keeping a journal, see if theres a comon item ONLY in the 12 hours before a seizure it could be somehting as ridiculously simple as "ups guy was here" (some seizures are stress enduced) or "treat = turkey today" or "neighbor was brunign something stinky today" ect...
also keep track of weather petterns...

Old 12-26-2016, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,113 times
I have a dog that is prone to seizures also. This has been my first experience having an animal with seizures. I linked his seizures to Ranch Hound. We then changed to a temporary cheap dollar store brand and all the seizures stopped. Recently I heard Victor brand was very good so I bought a bag almost a week ago and all the sudden his seizures returned. I have 5 dogs and all the others have been doing great. He has an allergy to certain ingredients and I am having trouble pinpointing which ones. I would like to be able to buy a large bag of decent priced dog food, but I am going to have to thoroughly research since our vet is of no help and wants him to take seizure medication when I am certain it's a dog food ingredient. Other than ingredients, it could be that Victor is very high in carbohydrates. Any information on ingredients that lowers the seizure threshold is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:13 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
A neighbor had a beautiful golden retriever that suffered from seizures. Prior to this dog, she had another GR that suffered from seizures throughout her life. A few years ago, she found a correlation between rosemary and seizures and discontinued the dog food she had been feeding for years. The sweet golden stopped having seizures. I know Rosemary was a popular ingredient in some dog foods years ago, I'm not sure if it still common as I usually home cook for my dogs.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:25 PM

279 posts, read 486,350 times
Yes, rosemary can cause seizures in dogs - it doesn't matter what the amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs