Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:09 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,171,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
How come when a (for example) Retriever is Mixed with a Lab its in the mongrel (sp) or X-Breed. But when anything is X'd with a "Pitbull" its a pitbull. Not just a loveable mongrel ? If push came to shove she could get DNA to prove its not one of the purebred breeds that are affected by BSL.
That is very true. You know, another thing that I have noticed a lot of is that with a "pit bull" mix, or a dog that has been labeled a "pit bull" mix, if the dog has any behavioral issues, even if it's nothing too bad, it always seems like people assume it is because the dog is part "pit bull". Like no other breed ever has any behavioral issues, and it never has anything to do with how the dog was bred, raised, trained, socialized, treated, etc.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:32 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,295 times
I think your dog does probably look like a Pit/Pit mix but there is no way to know for sure. A dog can be a Pit mix and not look anything like a Pit Bull and a dog can be a mix of other breeds (with no Pit Bull at all) and look like a Pit Bull. Its hard to tell with mixed breeds and dogs with unknown backgrounds. That is what makes BSL so dangerous because there are breeds that look similar to Pit Bulls and also mix breeds that look like Pit Bulls even though they are not Pit Bull mixes. It is also hard to tell since the dog looks heavy, this can change how a dogs conformation looks. When my dog dropped his weight down to ideal (only 2lbs difference) he looked so much better, to correct conformation standards, when he was a bit heavy he just looked aweful and I was kind of worried since he wasn't full grown how he would turn out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
Looking at ther pictures:
Very strong lab body structure, coat, head, and tail.
The white marking do not match a typical bully breed unless you are thinking American bulldog, maybe boxer, but that's a stretch.
The red nose would first appear to look like a rednose pittie, but look again folks---See those spots underneath the fur?? Notice the spots do not extend into the fur??? That distinct trait is NOT common in bull terrier breeds. We all know the distinct markings of pitbuls and AmStaffs have small portions of whit going up the chest and into the neck as in other terrier breeds. Hardly ever on the face. It occurs but it's rare.

In my opinion, based on that, no pitbull at all. Lab mix with some sort of pointer or something to get the red nose and spots.
What are you talking about? I'm confused. You are basing you're opinion on inaccurate fact I think.

I'm not sure who "we" is but I know that APBTs can be solid or only have small white markings but can also have Irish Spotting, Piebald or even extreme Piebald (in which they could be solid white). It's not rare at all. No APBT color is rare, APBTs with white markings are not rare, the most uncommon is probably the tan points and blue used to be hardly seen but is probably one of the most popular colors now thanks to puppy mills. Since the tan points are uncommon it might be accurate to say piebald sable/tri colors are uncommon as you of course wouldn't see them as often as others but they're still out there, only very small numbers.

Ok I looked, APBTs along with other bully breeds have color "underneath the fur" its commonly refered to as ticking. Its just pigmentation on the skin and you can see it because of the white. Black nose dogs have black and red nose dogs have red. Some have it on the nose, chest, legs or sides/back, just depends on the dog, they can also have pigmentation around the eyes. I'm not sure how common it is in "Bull Terrier" breeds exactly but it is "common" in APBTs, and other Bully breeds like Boxers, SBT, Dogo Argentino, and Boston Terriers, it isn't common in the breed known as Bull Terrier who almost always have "spotless white" but some Bull Terriers do get a spot here or there.

APBTs can have red noses and spots so the dog could be a Lab/APBT mix. Although I was thinking the dog looked like a Pointer/APBT cross because of the shape of face/muzzle and kind of because of the ears. But mixed breeds are tricky.

These are American Pit Bull Terriers, they have not been genotyped for color so I'm doing the best to my knowledge by looks on their genes

Irish Spotting maybe some closer to Piebald

Piebald

Extreme Piebald

Ticking

AST or mostly AST
L-R Lil Dusty heavy AST blood but a UKC "APBT" was the #1 top producing dam in UKC at one time
CH Romeo although UKC reg heavy AST, includes Blue Bandit and Gator pictured below, he was a nice tradition AST not so bully
Cowboy his sire is an AKC/UKC CH, dam's ped is filled with AKC/UKC dogs

CH Gator his grandsire's are AKC CH along with dogs in the 3rd/4th his pedigree is basically all AST
GR CH Kellsey has a lot of AST, Tufftown/Ruffian blood
UCD GR CH Blue Bandit TT he is a brother to Gator's sire, his sire is an AKC CH and I think his dam is too but can't remember

Boston Terrier ticking shown on chest

SBT with ticking on the chest

I have many other numerous pictures of the APBTs.

Since most Colby dogs are Piebald I'd think it'd be safe to say that many APBTs are also Piebald and its not uncommon. There are many other Piebald/Extreme Piebald dogs in history CH Charlie, CH Giroux' Rocky, Carver's Diamond and Miss Spike, the older E.Crenshaw dogs, Stompanato, GR CH Dutchboy also had the almost all white face, as well as GR CH Weehunt, and various others too many to name. Since APBTs can be Piebald then it would only make sense that some AST can be also. The AST standard is stricter on coloring so some colors have been culled against or are less common within the AKC dogs. We must also consider that they English White Terrier was likely used in their creation which was an extreme Piebald marked breed.