Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 07:45 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried CBD supplements for their dog? I have a 16 yr old who would likely benefit from the inflammation reducing properties but I was wondering if anyone had some first hand experience before I spend $60 on a month's supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 08:09 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
A friend did that with her dog. It was a huge help. Her dog had arthritis, and unbeknownst to her, was in the later stages of cancer. The CBD helped the dog sleep at night and brought some level of quality to her life for the last few weeks.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:37 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,650 times
Yes. We use Hemp Health Inc. CBD oil. My holistic vet recommends and uses it.

It has multiple benefits. I give it to my one dog for her hip issues and to my other dog because it also has behavioral benefits and it helps him be more balanced and less reactive.

Hemp Health has a formulation specifically for pets. They currently have a special for free shipping over $50.

I also use CBD oil. It helps me sleep better and deeper, and it helps with the stiffness and inflammation in my back. I recommended it to a friend who has stage two breast cancer and it helped her get through two rounds of chemo.

Although it is arguably pricey upfront, a bottle will last for 2-3 months.

Last edited by twelvepaw; 01-28-2017 at 08:55 AM..

Old 01-28-2017, 12:14 PM

Thank you both. We're going to give it a try and see if it makes a difference.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:21 PM

511 posts, read 625,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Has anyone tried CBD supplements for their dog? I have a 16 yr old who would likely benefit from the inflammation reducing properties but I was wondering if anyone had some first hand experience before I spend $60 on a month's supply.
I've been making what's called "cannabutter" for my 13 year old GSD who has myriad issues. I buy an ounce of the flower/weed and then infuse it into butter. You need heat and fat for the CBDs to become available. Although it depends how much CBD there is in that particular batch of flower for exact concentration, I use a specific ratio of flower to fat.

Anyway, my dog loves the flavor and I only need to giver her about an 1/8 of a tsp and she clearly feels better. When we first made it and gave it to her, I thought 1/4 tsp would be a reasonable start, but within no time she was having trouble keeping her balance! She slept all afternoon that day, so we knew to go lighter next dose. That's how we got to 1/8 tsp, which varies a tad depending on how high the concentration of CBDs are in that particular batch of weed.

I couldn't imagine paying the prices with the stuff already made that are sold in the stores. Making cannabutter does take time, for sure, and it is a multi-step process, but the savings will be extraordinary. Also, you'll know exactly what you are giving your dog, how much CBD, THC... You actually want some weed with a low level of THC because CBDs would in tandem with the THC. CBDs don't work as well when they are isolated from the whole herb. This is one reason why I decided to try to make it myself, and I'm very happy with the results. The stuff is safe, really safe, so I don't think you have to worry about overdosing. What I was worried about was not preparing it properly and wasting all that money. But nope, after hours of research online and from books at the library and bookstore, I felt confident to give it a go, and it worked. Really well.

Just last week I had to make another batch. I bought 1 oz Sour Tsunami, a high CBD/ low THC strain for $110. I used 8 oz of butter, so add another couple dollars, and this will last us about about 5 months. The last batch I made was last summer in August. I fill 1-2 oz containers and keep one in the fridge for daily use and freeze the rest.

Oh, I should add that I only give her the cannabutter once a day before bed, so of course you'd have to take that into account as to how long it would last for you. Also, my dog weighs about 70 pounds, and that, also, will factor in to how much you'd need to give your dog.

As an aside, my husband wanted to try it out himself when he had a lower backache, and yup, it worked for him. He did say that although he still felt the pain, it didn't bother him. It was like his back relaxed and although he was still aware of the pain, he had to consciously think about it to realize it was still there. So that's kind of cool to know.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:21 AM

965 posts, read 938,689 times
Thanks so much for the great info. Funny I was just talking to a friend about this yesterday, and we were wondering where we would start to learn more. She recently found out her great grandmother used to mix canniabis with pine tar to heal wounds Many, many years ago (before it was even recognized and made illegal). We actually wondered aloud what the source was, if not the t h c. I will share with her for sure. Cool news.
So, I have just spent the past hour or so reading, but would love some advice.

What would you use for a 90 lb dog with hd - he is still good on dasuquin and fish oil (he's almost 5). On a bad day (if he plays too hard) tramadol works ok, but not great. We also have meloxicam in case we need it, but it has been a few years since he needed it. So glad he has calmed down some.
However, there are times he could use some calming so he can focus better, or just not stress. He is a happy dog, but I know it is stress when he winds up.

And I have arthritis, mostly in my hands, and years of insomnia. I quit taking sleeping pills, after a few years - and they never really kept me asleep. I still struggle with decent sleep, I do everything I should for good sleep (including faithfully using my cpap).

I live in a state where it is illegal, but have tried a few edibles for sleep, and they are so different from smoking it (I was never a fan). It did help me sleep, but I feel uncomfortable crossing state lines with even a small amount just for me for sleep. So... it sounds like one of these might work, just not sure where to start. Any ideas appreciated, you can dm me if you prefer.

Sorry, by now I realize this part should probably be addressed in health and wellness. I will ask over there for the human side if that is more appropriate.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:26 AM

Algiz - Thank you for the great info. We have a bunch of dispensaries where I live so I'll pop in and see if they have a strain with very low THC to try making into butter. Britty has been on a CBD oil for the past couple days and seems to have a little less stiffness but at 16 she isn't exactly a bouncy puppy so it's hard to tell.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:53 AM

511 posts, read 625,119 times
Quote:
Algiz - Thank you for the great info. We have a bunch of dispensaries where I live so I'll pop in and see if they have a strain with very low THC to try making into butter. Britty has been on a CBD oil for the past couple days and seems to have a little less stiffness but at 16 she isn't exactly a bouncy puppy so it's hard to tell.
Great that you have ready access, legally! After many, many hours and days of research, I found several reliable sources online. Now, because of the nature of pot, you will get a lot of info about the kind of high each strain offers, and you have to just move past that if all you're looking for is for medical reasons.

Be CAREFUL when going to dispensaries and taking advice. It's not that the people aren't telling you the truth; it's that they don't fully seem to understand or recognize the need for low THC. A relative of mine has major pain and asked me what to look for. I sent her with some good advice, but she still came home with something high in CBD but also relatively high in THC, and when she used it, she got high and hated it.

So here's what to look for - High CBD is at least 11%, and that's on the low side. Good is about 15% and a bit higher, but I haven't found anything above 20% myself in person. I'm going to include a link that is excellent to explore strains and know what's out there. However, if it says the strain is not available in your area, disregard. I just bought some Sour Tsunami last week, and they had lots and yet this site says no one in my area has any. So ignore that. Call first. In fact, this is how I did it. I first figured out the high CBD/low THC strains I was interested in and started to call local dispensaries to see if they had any in stock. Most of the time, they only had one or two. Then I asked the percentage CBD and TCH of that particular strain. It will vary with each batch because of the growing conditions, etc. I've gotten Sour Tsunami as low as 11% and as high as 16%. I've had a lot of luck with this strain, and it's inexpensive compared to other strains available in my area, and I didn't see a difference in my dog's pain relief with a couple other strains I used, so I now stick with the Sour Tsunami. Your area might be different based on how much is currently available (how saturated the market is locally due to success of growers and crops) and exactly what strains are grown in your state. The pot must be grown and sold in the same state. It can't cross state lines.

Now, here's what to look for high CBD, low THC medical pot. You definitely want want some THC. It works in synergy with the CBD and other components in the herb, but you want the THC to be no more than 1%. I might go 2% but no higher. In fact, some of the strains that are being grown specifically for pain relief are being carefully crafted to have less than 1% THC to avoid the high that comes with too high of levels of the THC, so don't let anyone tell you that just because the CBD content is high, like 17% that you can get away with even 5-6% THC. No, that will induce a high even with high CBD levels. So look for strains like Charlotte's Web, Sour Tsunami, ACDC, Harlequin, Cannatonic. Those are some of the strains that fit my criteria, but I'm sure there are others out there.

Leafly is THE site. Anyone in the business will know this site, and in fact, when I went to one store and they suggested a particular strain they had in stock that I wasn't familiar with, I pulled out my phone and checked it out online. Lo! It was high THC, and the guy kind of looked sheepish when I told him no go. He saw I'd gone to Leafly and changed his approach. Go in showing you know a little, and I think you'll be treated a little differently. No one has ever been rude ir indifferent, but when I ask the right questions, they seem to be more informative, but more so, they are more forthcoming with saying they don't know something and are less apt to suggest something that "might" work.

https://www.leafly.com/start-exploring/treat-arthritis

Simplepeace, I wrote the stuff above off the top of my head, but I'm out of time, so check back later. I'll post some other links and suggestions and respond to your questions. Hang on!

Old 02-01-2017, 05:51 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,650 times
Quote:
I would suggest caution with using butter; I wonder whether instead of butter the cannabis could be infused into olive oil?

My other concern is that the process described for making the butter doesn't have any way to control "dose"; it is just too easy for a dog to ingest too much.

I don't have an issue with cannabis for humans, but there are too many variables involved to give it to an animal.

I will stick with my CBD hemp oil.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:03 PM

Thank you both for the additional and extensive info. I do appreciate being armed with all the info possible when it concerns something like this, the leafly link is great. I am lucky to live in a very dog friendly, marijuana saturated area of Colorado so there is a lot of information to be had, if I don't feel confident in making my own compound then I'll stick to the commercial stuff as long as she has success with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs