Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 08:24 AM

560 posts, read 453,447 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a Pomeranian who is going to be about 9 this July. I just adopted a kitty who is about 12-13 weeks old. My dog has not seemed to mind the kitty expect when he sees me playing or holding it. If my mom, dad or two brothers are giving the cat attention my dog could care less. If it's me then He jumps right into my lap and if the kitty gets too close he growls. I've told him no and taken him off my lap. I am trying to make sure my dog still has his favorite places to go like my bed where the kitty isn't. The kitty will play and run around not seeming to mind the dog. Kitty has hisses a few times if my dog gets too close for comfort.

How long does it take before you realize your dog might not actually be a kitty dog? My dog gets along with our family cat so I thought he wouldn't mind a kitty. I don't want to make my dog jealous or upset. I want to be fair to all the pets. I want to give this realtionship enough time, but I also don't want to do any unneeded stress to both pets.

Any tips or suggestions to try to curb the jealously and help them get along together when I am trying to play or hold one? Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 08:27 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
Hi,

I have a Pomeranian who is going to be about 9 this July. I just adopted a kitty who is about 12-13 weeks old. My dog has not seemed to mind the kitty expect when he sees me playing or holding it. If my mom, dad or two brothers are giving the cat attention my dog could care less. If it's me then He jumps right into my lap and if the kitty gets too close he growls. I've told him no and taken him off my lap. I am trying to make sure my dog still has his favorite places to go like my bed where the kitty isn't. The kitty will play and run around not seeming to mind the dog. Kitty has hisses a few times if my dog gets too close for comfort.

How long does it take before you realize your dog might not actually be a kitty dog? My dog gets along with our family cat so I thought he wouldn't mind a kitty. I don't want to make my dog jealous or upset. I want to be fair to all the pets. I want to give this realtionship enough time, but I also don't want to do any unneeded stress to both pets.

Any tips or suggestions to try to curb the jealously and help them get along together when I am trying to play or hold one? Any advice would be great.

Thanks
I would get rid of the pomeranian and get a dog.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
I would get rid of the pomeranian and get a dog.
Haha well that's not happening. He's my baby.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:51 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,975 times
You can try "no"s and nose swats when the Pom growls, but I don't think they will ever work. Your dog is not just adult, he is a senior dog. Not likely to change attitudes. The only other thing I can think you might try is positive reinforcement. Every time the cat comes close, but before the dog growls, give the dog a treat. Repeat until you can get the cat closer. Keep repeating as you bring the cat a tiny bit closer each time. I imagine you would need someone to hold the cat and slowly inch closer with the cat.

I do not predict success in this endeavor, but maybe it will work. Personally, I think you are going to have to end up living with it. Since the dog isn't actively chasing the kitten, the kitten should be able to learn to tolerate the dog's possessiveness.

Good luck!

Old 06-02-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
You can try "no"s and nose swats when the Pom growls, but I don't think they will ever work. Your dog is not just adult, he is a senior dog. Not likely to change attitudes. The only other thing I can think you might try is positive reinforcement. Every time the cat comes close, but before the dog growls, give the dog a treat. Repeat until you can get the cat closer. Keep repeating as you bring the cat a tiny bit closer each time. I imagine you would need someone to hold the cat and slowly inch closer with the cat.

I do not predict success in this endeavor, but maybe it will work. Personally, I think you are going to have to end up living with it. Since the dog isn't actively chasing the kitten, the kitten should be able to learn to tolerate the dog's possessiveness.

Good luck!
Thanks! Not much has changed the rest of the day. My dog just isn't use to sharing me. He seemed to be a tiny bit better as they slept near each other when I was out of the house. My mom caught a photo of it.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:14 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Sounds like normal adjustment issues to me. The dog will get used to the new cat. Just like it takes time for an established cat to get used to another cat being brought in. The pecking order has to be established. Not unusual at all to have a few issues at first. They'll work it out, I have no qualms about that.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Sounds like normal adjustment issues to me. The dog will get used to the new cat. Just like it takes time for an established cat to get used to another cat being brought in. The pecking order has to be established. Not unusual at all to have a few issues at first. They'll work it out, I have no qualms about that.
Thanks! My dad said he thinks they will get along and become best buds (if not best buds they will stand each other). I'm worried about making my dog sad or that he isn't top dog anymore which is the last thing I want. I got this kitty to be his friend when I start working and it's just us. I didn't want him to be alone all day without another furry friend.

The good news is the seem indifferent when I'm not trying to hold or play with kitty. The napping near each other was a positive for me. I'm trying to be hopeful that they will adjust and my dog will realize he can share mommy.

I have made sure to keep my bedroom a kitty free zone as it is my dogs spot to go relax.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:27 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,411,522 times
Always put the dog first! If you are petting kitty and dog comes by, make over dog, let him know he's still first. Whenever you see both of them in the same room, greet dog first, even if it means ignoring kitty. Then, pet kitty, so dog can see kitty is a part of the household, too. If kitty is in your lap and dog wants up, gently put kitty down and pick up dog. Teach both their pecking order and reassure dog he's still first!

Old 06-03-2017, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Always put the dog first! If you are petting kitty and dog comes by, make over dog, let him know he's still first. Whenever you see both of them in the same room, greet dog first, even if it means ignoring kitty. Then, pet kitty, so dog can see kitty is a part of the household, too. If kitty is in your lap and dog wants up, gently put kitty down and pick up dog. Teach both their pecking order and reassure dog he's still first!
Thanks! Last night I let my dog stay in my room and sleep on my bed. However this morning he threw up which is rare and usually a sign that he is stressed out.

I am thinking I was wrong about him needing a kitty friend when I am away. I think he would rather it just me the two of us. I'm going to keep trying for a few more days though

Old 06-04-2017, 12:08 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
Thanks! Last night I let my dog stay in my room and sleep on my bed. However this morning he threw up which is rare and usually a sign that he is stressed out.

I am thinking I was wrong about him needing a kitty friend when I am away. I think he would rather it just me the two of us. I'm going to keep trying for a few more days though
I like Maryleel's idea about putting the dog first. That might help - but it also might make it worse by reinforcing the growling possessiveness. Still, it might help, and worth a shot. I would expect any fix to take a long time - weeks or even months.

I sure got a chuckle about you getting the kitten to keep the dog company! Well, live and learn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs