Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:45 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times

Advertisements

I like to go camping with my two terriers. In this state we have two rattlesnakes that are common all over: Copperheads and Timber Rattlers. So far, the ones we've encountered have slithered away without biting. I keep my dogs on leashes when we walk the trails and won't let them sniff around hollow logs and by rocks.
After checking on the internet about this theme most info says take the dog to a vet. Good advice, But what if the next town with a vet is 20 miles away and it's 10 pm on Saturday night? If a bite happened on a trail it would take at least 30 minutes to return to the campsite, then to drive to a town. Too much time, it could be too late.
Anybody know of any procedures that might be helpful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 12:52 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,293,444 times
You can find instructions on what to do after a bite here. We have rattlesnakes all over the area, so I know the feeling!

Dog Snake Bites

Old 06-17-2010, 01:01 PM

577 posts, read 1,759,520 times
My 45 lb dog got bit by a rattler on the nose, I took him to the vet but it was about 3 hours after the bite. they gave him fluids and kept him overnight. I chose not to give anti-venom ... why because the vet didnt recommend it, she said it would only prevent scarring at that point and for his weight he would have needed 3 vials at $175 a vial. She said the thing to watch out for was the infection afterwards from the dead tissue. My dog never had any issues and healed up fine. I'm sure there are a lot of variables in snake bite's though. I think if it's a small dog it may be a different story, also how big the snake is. The snake that bit my dog was big and therefore knew how to regulate the amount of venom injected. A young snake will blow their whole wad because they are inexperienced. I'm sure my dog just got a warning bite with a small injection of venom. I"m sure the type of poison makes a difference too... I guess my point is that its not always a death sentence for your dog. Also there is a rattlesnake vaccine you can get that will make your dog react less to the venom... you might look into that especially if your dog will be in areas that there are rattlesnakes.

They do classes around here too for training your dog to keep away from snakes... sometimes it's unavoidable but if you have a dog that normally will not back down.. the classes may be helpful.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:32 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,787,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I like to go camping with my two terriers. In this state we have two rattlesnakes that are common all over: Copperheads and Timber Rattlers. So far, the ones we've encountered have slithered away without biting. I keep my dogs on leashes when we walk the trails and won't let them sniff around hollow logs and by rocks.
After checking on the internet about this theme most info says take the dog to a vet. Good advice, But what if the next town with a vet is 20 miles away and it's 10 pm on Saturday night? If a bite happened on a trail it would take at least 30 minutes to return to the campsite, then to drive to a town. Too much time, it could be too late.
Anybody know of any procedures that might be helpful?
I keep two 1cc ampules of diphenhydramine (benadryl), a syringe, a small bottle of sterile saline solution for irrigation, one of those "pop" cold-packs, a pack of sutures, a kotex dam and some hydrogen peroxide in a little bag under the backseat. It stays in the shell bag during hunting season.

There are some perks associated with marriage to a nurse.

My understanding is that quick administration of benadryl is probably the best and easiest thing you can be ready to do. Dogs are dosed a lot higher than humans; ask your vet, but I wouldn't hesitate to go as high as 2mg per lb. of body weight in the event of a snake bite. Your vet would probably go higher and would be administering an IM injection.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:39 PM

205 posts, read 726,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I keep two 1cc ampules of diphenhydramine (benadryl), a syringe, a small bottle of sterile saline solution for irrigation, one of those "pop" cold-packs, a pack of sutures, a kotex dam and some hydrogen peroxide in a little bag under the backseat. It stays in the shell bag during hunting season.

There are some perks associated with marriage to a nurse.

My understanding is that quick administration of benadryl is probably the best and easiest thing you can be ready to do. Dogs are dosed a lot higher than humans; ask your vet, but I wouldn't hesitate to go as high as 2mg per lb. of body weight in the event of a snake bite. Your vet would probably go higher and would be administering an IM injection.
Any suggestions where we non-medical folks can get these supplies. I'm moving soon to the high desert and my "city dogs" have never encountered anything other than cat, squirrels and opossums. I imagine snakes are going to be a concern.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:05 PM

380 posts, read 963,815 times
Wow. This thread really hits home.

We're in the Ozarks region of Southern Missouri. I JUST picked up my 5-year old Afghan Hound from the Vet Hospital. He was bit by a snake (we're not sure whether a pygmy rattler or a copperhead) sometime early Tuesday morning. We think he encountered it in his pen (10,000 sq. ft) and being curious, went to investigate. It's been very hot here, and snakes are out hunting at night when it's cooler.

That morning we noticed he was having great trouble getting up. His hind legs didn't seem to work the way they should. He'd been treated earlier this year for a disc problem and we thought this was a recurrence and knew that rest was the best treatment. Remember - we had no idea he had been bitten.

By that afternoon the weakness seemed better in the hind quarters but he was now struggling to make his front legs work. I also noticed his jowl was loose and saggy like a bloodhound. Not normal in an Afghan hound.

I stayed up with him that night, watching him closely. Around midnight I noticed some blood on the hair on his right front leg. I looked for a source but found nothing. By morning the jowl had gotten looser and it felt like there was fluid inside. I called the vet the minute they opened and we were there within ten minutes.

They drew blood immediately and began testing. During the physical exam the vet found he was running a fever. After putting the thermometer in the dog's ear, the dog shook his head violently and blood spattered everywhere. Not a nose bleed, but coming from a bite wound right under his chin.

Blood work showed frightening pre-renal numbers, and severely compromised blood clotting factors (Thrombocytopenia). They immediately admitted him and began treating him with fluids and steroids.

This afternoon I brought him home. The renal numbers are back to normal, but the clotting factors continue to drop. We have three meds to give him twice a day. An anti-acid med for stomach upset, a steroid to fight the venom, and an antibiotic for the wound. We're not out of the woods yet. The thrombocytopenia is the biggest threat. If the factors continue to drop, we're in big trouble.

Snake bite is not something to be taken lightly. This entire episode has already cost us dearly, both financially and emotionally.

I thought I was doing everything possible to protect my dogs. We give them monthly medications for parasites, and biting insects; we watch their diets and feed the best food we can afford; we bathe and groom them often and regularly; we exercise them, clean their teeth, clip their nails, etc. Their yard is kept free from debris, the grass mowed, the perimeter weed free.

They've always had unlimited access to their yard through a dog door. Now I don't know what to do to keep them safe.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:13 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,787,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freesiia View Post
Any suggestions where we non-medical folks can get these supplies. I'm moving soon to the high desert and my "city dogs" have never encountered anything other than cat, squirrels and opossums. I imagine snakes are going to be a concern.
I don't really know where you would get injectable diphenhydramine, but you can get literally everything else at Amazon.com. Amazing new world we live in.

Amazon.com: 3 cc Slip Tip Syringe with Needle - 22 ga x 3/4": Kitchen & Dining (http://www.amazon.com/Slip-Tip-Syringe-Needle-22/dp/B0002YFR8O - broken link)

Amazon.com: Adventure Medical Kits Suture/Syringe Medic Kit: Health & Personal Care (http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Medical-Kits-Suture-Syringe/dp/B000G7WR44 - broken link)

Amazon.com: INSTANT COLD PACK: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: ACE Self Adhesive (Athletic) Bandage (Blister) 4": Health & Personal Care

Amazon.com: Sterile Saline Solution Blairx, Size: 12 Oz: Health & Personal Care

Amazon.com: Betadine Solution Pint: Health & Personal Care

Amazon.com: QuikClot Sport, Advanced Clotting Sponge 25G: Health & Personal Care
*I couldn't find the Kotex brand...*

You can obviously get hydrogen peroxide and benadryl pills at any pharmacy or convenience store, just make sure that you get the regular benadryl where the only ingredient is diphenhydramine. They also make a "quick strip" that dissolves on the tongue. I haven't looked at the ingredients but it may be a good idea for a dog that is difficult to pill even in the comfy confines of the home with a pill wrapped in bacon. Hydrogen peroxide can do double duty as a "vomit inducer".

Old 06-17-2010, 05:37 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,368,508 times
Quote:
I don't really know where you would get injectable diphenhydramine
Check with your vet, a lot of them will Rx you a small amount for the purpose if you explain you are out and about.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:41 PM

205 posts, read 726,577 times
Nice,,, Thank you very much!!!

Old 06-18-2010, 02:48 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,556,961 times
Even the oral benedryl - our more common bite here is copperheads right on the nose. And most dogs recover just fine.

I would not say "no big deal". A snake bite is a big deal but even humans tend to fare pretty will with copperhead bites with infection being the most dangerous part of it.

I don't have any real life experience with the rattlers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs