Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 08:00 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,618,891 times

Advertisements

What if I feed my dog just meat for a while so she burns fat from having almost no carbs?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 01:19 AM

37,208 posts, read 41,406,761 times
What if you just feed her less. No people food. Count treats in her daily calories and feed her an appropriate, measured amount of dog food. Ask your vet how much to feed.

My vet and I were discussing my diabetic dog's excellent, stable weight. We laughed about how easy it would be for humans if someone else made our food choices for us.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:06 AM

965 posts, read 942,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
What if I feed my dog just meat for a while so she burns fat from having almost no carbs?
What is the purpose? That will matter. Cancer, losing weight, seizures, organ problems? Or something else. There is a lot of information out there, depending on the reason for this.

If it is to lose weight, cutting portions /adding exercise is the best way. Changing a diet temporarily just for this reason wouldn't be a good idea, not necessarily bad, but might not be worth the process and possible digestive issues. Keto diets don't work like they do for humans. Feeding a dog meat, and fat will make it burn energy more efficiently, it will not make them go into starvation mode.

"Just meat" would never be a good idea. A raw diet is the "easiest" but only after research - if you want/ need to cut carbs out. However, you can still overfeed a raw, or home cooked to any dog.

A home made diet would work, but would be far more complicated and expensive (due in part to the Supplements needed). You would need a vet's version of all the nutrients you would need to add after cooking. If you can get a recipe that your vet recommends, and follow it to a T, it too would be easy, every few days in a crockpot.

When feeding my dogs a raw diet I specifically add RAW, but never cooked fat - and never remove any fat. Dogs utilize fat for energy more efficiently than they do carbs.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:13 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,781,365 times
Why in the world would you do that? Just meat is not a balanced diet for a dog. Also diets too high in protein can cause health issues.

Feed the dog less and exercise her more.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:21 PM

13,723 posts, read 12,497,223 times
Dogs, unlike humans, don't or shouldn't have unlimited access to food. So, you don't have to worry about their likes or dislikes. Just feed them less kibble and/or walk them more.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
What is the purpose? That will matter. Cancer, losing weight, seizures, organ problems? Or something else. There is a lot of information out there, depending on the reason for this.

If it is to lose weight, cutting portions /adding exercise is the best way. Changing a diet temporarily just for this reason wouldn't be a good idea, not necessarily bad, but might not be worth the process and possible digestive issues. Keto diets don't work like they do for humans. Feeding a dog meat, and fat will make it burn energy more efficiently, it will not make them go into starvation mode.

"Just meat" would never be a good idea. A raw diet is the "easiest" but only after research - if you want/ need to cut carbs out. However, you can still overfeed a raw, or home cooked to any dog.

A home made diet would work, but would be far more complicated and expensive (due in part to the Supplements needed). You would need a vet's version of all the nutrients you would need to add after cooking. If you can get a recipe that your vet recommends, and follow it to a T, it too would be easy, every few days in a crockpot.

When feeding my dogs a raw diet I specifically add RAW, but never cooked fat - and never remove any fat. Dogs utilize fat for energy more efficiently than they do carbs.
She's just overweight and I don't want her to get diabetic or hurt her joints. Right now she is eating the amount for her target weight. She starts agitating for dinner hours before it's due and is pitiful all evening wanting more.

Everyone is talking about Keto diet for people right now - it was just a thought. I don't want to do raw and I know that 'just meat' isn't good for them. I just thought maybe she could also go into ketosis and burn this fat sooner so she can not SUFFER so long on this regular diet!

Old 06-08-2017, 05:42 PM

965 posts, read 942,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
She's just overweight and I don't want her to get diabetic or hurt her joints. Right now she is eating the amount for her target weight. She starts agitating for dinner hours before it's due and is pitiful all evening wanting more.

Everyone is talking about Keto diet for people right now - it was just a thought. I don't want to do raw and I know that 'just meat' isn't good for them. I just thought maybe she could also go into ketosis and burn this fat sooner so she can not SUFFER so long on this regular diet!
When was the last time the checked her thyroid function? It is worth testing, since really hungry, and overweight - both possible symptoms of hypothyroidism. The test and medication is fairly cheap, and works wonders

Just take away 2 T of kibble at first, and add 2 T of frozen (defrosted) green beans in its place, and cut up small at least at first.
Or.... when she acts starving offer her the green beans, if she doesn't eat them, she is not starving yo death

It will fill her up, and not be so drastic a change. Frozen green beans have no salt added, and once defrosted it should be easier to digest. You can cook them if you want as well. The will just be used as fiber more or less.
You could also add a t up to a T of cooked / canned PLAIN pumpkin (not pie mix).

Maybe adding those 2 in a bowl when she is really bugging you can be her treat. You could also add a t of PLain yogurt. A lot of times overweight dogs will refuse green beans, etc.... you vocal keep offering. If she refuses forever, it should make you feel a little better about her sad eyes.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
When was the last time the checked her thyroid function? It is worth testing, since really hungry, and overweight - both possible symptoms of hypothyroidism. The test and medication is fairly cheap, and works wonders

Just take away 2 T of kibble at first, and add 2 T of frozen (defrosted) green beans in its place, and cut up small at least at first.
Or.... when she acts starving offer her the green beans, if she doesn't eat them, she is not starving yo death

It will fill her up, and not be so drastic a change. Frozen green beans have no salt added, and once defrosted it should be easier to digest. You can cook them if you want as well. The will just be used as fiber more or less.
You could also add a t up to a T of cooked / canned PLAIN pumpkin (not pie mix).

Maybe adding those 2 in a bowl when she is really bugging you can be her treat. You could also add a t of PLain yogurt. A lot of times overweight dogs will refuse green beans, etc.... you vocal keep offering. If she refuses forever, it should make you feel a little better about her sad eyes.
Thanks. It's really pitiful! And I know how I feel on a diet. I gave her a small amount of milk last night. That helps me on a diet feeling a little fuller. I know she is not a human, but probably same concept. She is not lactose intolerant.

I know, because she used to steal every glass of milk I poured myself! She drank a LOT when she was a food thief. We have made great progress on that front! Though, I don't leave anything unattended. Maybe SHE didn't make any progress, lol! Just me.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:30 AM

13,723 posts, read 12,497,223 times
Quote:

Good call on both the thyroid and the green beans.

Question on the pumpkin, would it stop her up? I give it to my hound for diarrhea.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:42 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,781,365 times
The other thing to do is take a quarter cup of the kibble you normally feed her and instead of putting it with her meal, dole it out once piece at at time as a treat. That way she thinks she's getting something extra but is really getting the same amount of food.

I second the green beans and thyroid check ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs