Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 01:39 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,797,288 times

Advertisements

So sorry you're dealing with this. I'd be worried too.

As far as the phenobarbital is concerned, I've had four dogs over the years who had seizures and were on it with no aggression issues whatsoever. They ranged from a mini Schnauzer to a Scottie to a Lab mix and now my Peke mix - so all sizes and breeds.

The phenobarbital can affect the liver and so since the Peke mix has way too high liver values, we're changing her to Keppra, starting this evening. It will be a several week transition so we'll see how it goes.

Good luck and please keep us informed. We can all learn from each other that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 02:31 PM

7,490 posts, read 4,976,961 times
My standard poodle had another seizure today so I now have to make a decision. Having grown up in the country, we looked at dogs as guards and for utility, so huge vet bills were never part of the discussion.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:01 PM

965 posts, read 942,498 times
Seizure medication is cheap, and a full blood work up is less than euthanasia. Just something to think about.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:52 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,797,288 times
My vet bills related to any of my past and present dogs' seizures weren't huge at all. The phenobarbital has been running about $25/month and the Keppra which I just got this week at Costco was $35 for a month's supply. As I mentioned above, we're in the process of switching to Keppra (generic version) so she won't be on the two meds for long . . . just long enough to transition from one to the other. It could get expensive if you were to get an MRI - which I've decided not to do. It wouldn't change the treatment plan as I don't plan to do brain surgery, even if there is a brain tumor - which there might not even be. It could just be an electrical circuitry problem which is only treatable, not fixable.

My dogs have all had a great quality of life even though they had a history of seizures. The seizures were not the cause of any of the deaths. In fact, one of them lived to be twenty-two and just wore out. Another had a pre-existing unrelated heart condition which was what finally got him. He was thirteen. And another had hip dysplasia which progressed to the point of no return and that was the pivotal thing that led to putting him down at the age of twelve. The current dog is ten and seemingly doing just fine - runs and plays, goes on walks, eats like a pig. The meds, once they adjust to them, can control the seizures to the point where you'll almost forget they ever had one.

Best of luck. I hope your dog's seizures are manageable and that you'll have a long and happy life together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs