Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 04:46 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,995,317 times

Advertisements

It is about an hour long, but oh my it is wonderful.

I really want to work for a company that has a "dog culture" with treat stations throughout the building!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH1-...ature=youtu.be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 09:05 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,015,668 times
Just saw this - thanks for posting! I'll check it tomorrow!

Old 12-01-2017, 01:09 PM

Brilliant talk. Lots of gold nuggets in there. She also gives a good talk - not an easy thing. Thanks again!

Old 12-01-2017, 04:19 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,995,317 times
I am glad you enjoyed it.

She always makes her talks seem effortless and very organic.

I love her discussions on the non-verbal interplay and communication between human and dog.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:04 PM

I hope a lot of the regulars in this forum watch it - I found it very educational and informative.

Old 12-02-2017, 03:19 AM

19,878 posts, read 12,170,099 times
I had the pleasure of meeting her at one of her seminars years ago. She is a delightful woman, a gifted speaker and an enormous asset to the dog training world. Very easily in the top 10 behaviorists in the world yet down to earth.

Old 12-02-2017, 06:53 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,043,695 times
I haven't watched it yet (I will), but the first question that comes to my mind is: Are the dogs required to be on leash AT ALL TIMES? If not, no go. There's nothing worse than an already excited dog jumping on other dogs and people.

Kinda like dog parks. There are always people and dogs there who ruin it for everyone else.

About 4 years ago I had to change vets. I visited several local clinics and the first question I asked was, "Are dogs required to be on leash." I was stunned at how many said, "No." Are you F***** kidding me? Do you really think I want a possibly sick, excited, out of control dog jumping all over me and my dog?

Old 12-02-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I haven't watched it yet (I will), but the first question that comes to my mind is: Are the dogs required to be on leash AT ALL TIMES? If not, no go. There's nothing worse than an already excited dog jumping on other dogs and people.

Kinda like dog parks. There are always people and dogs there who ruin it for everyone else.

About 4 years ago I had to change vets. I visited several local clinics and the first question I asked was, "Are dogs required to be on leash." I was stunned at how many said, "No." Are you F***** kidding me? Do you really think I want a possibly sick, excited, out of control dog jumping all over me and my dog?
Bella;

I am not at all sure how your anecdote relates to watching a recording of McConnell's talk at Google! But I am interested in your anecdote about vets - except I don't really understand that, either! How would a dog on leash be MORE likely to jump on strangers? But I would be curious to hear you tell us more about how you visited and selected a new vet. I've done a similar thing about two years ago, and I'm not sure I've found the right vet yet!

Old 12-02-2017, 11:58 AM

5,098 posts, read 12,611,538 times
Thanks for posting this and I hope most take the time to watch it. I think she explains why so many people get bitten by dogs very well and hope that by watching this not only will bites be prevented but when a bite occurs the dog does not end up paying with its life, or even its home. I have been a fan of Patricia for years.

Old 12-02-2017, 02:07 PM

122 posts, read 125,475 times
Not trying to be a Negative Nancy or anything…….

Disclaimer: I also respect Patricia McConnell and often recommend her book “The Other End of The Leash” to others. And, if you have been a keen observer of dog behavior for a number of years, don’t feel bad if you start fast forwarding through the video. That’s what I did the first go around and then re-watched it when I had more time.

But, during the Q&A at the end, I do think she totally blew it when she answered the question about e-collars.

She said she hated them and she had resorted to using e-collars only when working with some farm dogs who needed to stop killing livestock or be killed by the livestock’s owners.

I would HOPE that she thoughtfully applied all the other tools available to teach and proof a recall. Then, I would HOPE that she properly conditioned the dogs to the sensation that an e-collar gives them (a process similar to collar conditioning/leash pressure). And then I would HOPE that she layered the e-collar sensation onto those dog’s previous training so that they knew exactly what the feedback that they were receiving was all about.

I truly believe that’s what she did and I understand that she had limited time in the video. However, I don’t think it would have taken too much more time to flesh out an answer a little better than the one she came up with. Frankly, I’m kind of surprised that she doesn’t have an elevator speech already prepared for this topic.

So, I’m just afraid that to a layman watching this video for the first time, her answering that question in a fairly dismissive way implied that she just plopped a collar on those dogs and shocked the hell out of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs