Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 08:50 PM

8 posts, read 163,863 times

Advertisements

My dog was neutered 9 days ago so i figured that i would take off of his collar and then he started messing with it and now the wound is buldging between the stiches.We put some neosporin on it and put the e collor back on. Should I be concerned. I am thinking that it is 90 % healed and out of the danger zone but thought i better check. Anybody ever been through this before and took their dog to the vet and know what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 11:21 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Sometimes stitched areas can look a little lumpy for a while (still a bit of swelling, I suppose).

But I would say to call you vet/bring dog in. There is usually no charge for a follow-up like that and the vet will know for sure if it's a problem.

You could post a picture here, that would tell a lot, but if you have a concern, that is a valid enough reason to take him to the vet's office.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:27 AM

Thank you, I will take your advice and take him for an after care appt. We took him to the humane society to get the job done and you are right they probably will do it for free. I will let you know how it turns out hopefully on Monday. I would post a picture but not too computer literate and would take forever. The wound is not oozing, It just looks different than it every has,
Blessings
Julie

Old 10-28-2007, 04:10 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
Are the sutures self-dissolving or are they scheduling to remove them? If they are going to remove them that is normally done 10-14 days after the procedure so you should be going in soon?

Old 10-28-2007, 10:16 PM

Not Positive,do believe they are self dissolving.We do have him wearing the e-collar for the next few days so he doesnt bother the healing process. what else can we do besides daily neosporin applications ?

Old 10-29-2007, 08:29 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcarson View Post
Not Positive,do believe they are self dissolving.We do have him wearing the e-collar for the next few days so he doesnt bother the healing process. what else can we do besides daily neosporin applications ?
I say take him in for a follow up as must vets do that as a courtesy. It could be normal swelling/discharge or it could be an allergic reaction to the sutures, one never knows without seeing up front and close.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:56 PM

389 posts, read 3,538,502 times
Usually if it's not oozing or red, it's okay, but since it seems there was a sudden change when he was allowed to lick at it, I would be a little cautious. It could be some type of reaction of the suture material with the licking etc. We don't use dissolving sutures on the outter layer at our office, but it's possible that's what they used, so I don't know what that looks like or any possible reactions, but usually, non-dissolving you can see and are pretty apparent (so they are easily seen by the veterinary staff to remove)

Good Luck, I hope it's not infected.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Thank you so much

Thanks so much for the info. This all sounds like every one is coming to the same conclusion. I think we better take him to the vet. You guys and gals are great. Thank you for your concern and responses.
God Bless you all
Julie

Old 10-29-2007, 10:26 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcarson View Post
Thanks so much for the info. This all sounds like every one is coming to the same conclusion. I think we better take him to the vet. You guys and gals are great. Thank you for your concern and responses.
God Bless you all
Julie
Please do give us an update .

When one of my dogs had leg surgery (imagine your leg being opened from your upper thigh all the way to your ankle ), I was really nervous about the stitches and they looked bumpy and funny and kind of red for a while (no infection though). Today, you can't see a thing unless you look really close, so it healed up great .

Old 10-30-2007, 05:53 PM

Wow that sounds like you probably had to keep the collar on for a long time. That is good that they heal up so well. We have decided to take him in on Saturday because it is not getting any worse. We will keep you posted.
Have a great night and thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs