Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 02:55 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, Roxy was lethargic and slept in a bit. Not to unusual for her. She does this every once in a while. So, I proceded downstairs without her, leaving her to catch some beauty sleep in the bed we share.
Normally she barks when she wants to come down - the bed is very high. At about one PM, I checked on her, and she still seemed sleepy. I took her out for a walk, but since it was raining, she wanted to come in, which is not unusual.

In the evening, at around ten, we noticed that her breathing was rapid, as though she was in pain. She went from lethargic to limp, and she slept on top of my chest, which s

We do not have an Emergency Veterinary clinic in the area. I stayed up with her most of the night, petting her, singing to her.

I fell asleep at about 7 AM and awakened my husband. She was in the same condition. She also had not passed urine for over 12 hrs. We called our vet, and he told us to come right over.

My DH drove, I held Roxy in here favorite blanket as we drove to the vet's office, only 10 minutes from our home. When we got there I noticed that her mouth was open and her tongue a very pale pink, a sign of shock.

I carried her into the office and put her on the table. Her eyes stared blankly and her mouth hung open. The doctor checked her heart. She passed urine on the table and he announced that she was "gone".

I was horrified and let out a wail, like a mother who lost her child. In fact, that was how I felt.

She was only 6. She had seen the vet last summer for flea medication and a check up.

She was a healthy, happy, active little girl until this happened,

I just went through the loss of an older dog, Bella, who passed the night before she was going to be put to sleep. Bella lived a long life - we think she was about 15, which is good, especially for a larger dog.
While I was sad, sad enough to post about it here, I also knew it was coming. I felt relief that she passed on her own. And gratitude for the long time she had with us.

With Roxy. I feel none of that. All I feel is sadness.

We acquired Roxy when my children were in high school. I knew when they went away to college, that I'd experience some degree of empty nest syndrome. Our other dogs were family dogs. Roxy, as with many Dachshunds, was a one person dog. She was "Mommy's Little Girl".

My plan went well - I did experience empty nest syndrome, but with Roxy by my side, it was more bearable. She was a little comedian and she brought us so much joy and happiness! Our house, devoid of teenagers, and populated with aging dogs, and a quiet cat, was happier and noisier. She got into her fair share of mischief, loved doing Zoomies, fetching, and carried around her dog toy, a stuffed Dachshund in her mouth, dutifully grooming her, like a good momma.

I am devastated and deeply saddened. So is DH. I am crying constantly and mystified by how this could have happened to a relatively young, and healthy dog.

The vet's best guess was pyometria - and inflammation of the uterus. She had just gone through estrus, and another dog we had twenty years ago, had a pyometria, but was saved by emergency surgery.
Where were lived before, we had an all night emergency clinic.

I just cannot stop thinking that her life could have been saved if we had a clinic here that was open all nights.

Does this sound like pyometria to you?

I have another question that may sound strange, but I'll ask it anyway.

Since Roxy joined our family, my health has not been as good as it once was. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and I have had a persistent cough, sinus problems and my asthma has worsened.

Since I have been in poor health, and my children have left for college, I've become depressed.

Could my illnesses and depression have, over time, made Roxy ill? I have read that devoted animals sometimes absorb our pain. She was a very perceptive and empathetic little girl.

I am wondering if in some way, I might have contributed to this. Could I have caused her untimely death?

I cannot even think about life without Roxy. We already miss the rapid clicking of her nails on the hardwood floor, and as I type this, I miss the feeling of her snuggling close to me.

I know that the worst is ahead of me. I am still numb and shocked.

I want to ask those of you who have suddenly lost a beloved pet, how you dealt with this? Did anyone go to a pet bereavement group? If so, was it helpful?

Please give me any advice that you can.

This is truly one of the worst days in my life.

In advance, thank you for reading this,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 04:41 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Oh, my dear, I am so sorry. Many hugs to you and DH.

You did not make Roxy sick. Please know this. Yes, animals can often share our pain, particularly if they are highly bonded, but I do not believe for a moment that this is what caused her death. Dogs and cats are more likely to show their empathy by simply staying close to us, offering comfort.

I don't know if there is a way to tell for sure if it was pyometra without a necropsy. It is always a possibility with a female, particularly one who has not been spayed, but even spayed females can get stump pyometra.

I had a cat years ago who became suddenly ill one morning. She died at the vet's office. Diagnosis was congestive heart failure.

I know it may be too soon to ask this question, but do you have other pets? I hope that you do. I know that nothing can fill the void left by any beloved pet who has gone, but there are people who simply are not complete without an animal companion. I am such a person, and I think you might be, too.

Damn. All words, none of any help. All I can really do is mingle my tears with yours.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:48 AM

19,826 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Sheena, I'm so sorry for your sudden loss. You're right that the pain is particularly intense when we lose a vibrant young dog. I lost a young papillon a little over a year ago that likely would have been fast friends with Roxy. He also loved to carry toys in his mouth and brought great joy and laughter to my home at a time I was struggling with health issues. I do believe these little souls come into our lives to enrich our lives and to teach us lessons.

There is an online pet loss support group that has helped me through two separate losses. The members are kind and gentle and it is a safe space to ask questions. So often we feel guilt and wonder "what if...?".

Pet Loss Grief Support Message Board

That link will take you to their message board but explore the site as there are many resources throughout.

There is a lady whose multiple videos brought me great comfort after losing my little Gabriel. If I find some appropriate to your situation I will post them.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:58 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
I am sorry Sheena. Our furry friends become part of the family--it is painful when they are no longer there.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:39 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
I went thru this a year ago. I put Katie down do to health problems about 2 months later I woke up & Lady-Bug was dead. So unexpected! [[[[hugs]]]]]]

Old 11-03-2017, 10:49 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
so sorry for your loss . The only problem with having pets is that they don't live as long as we do . I still miss several fur babies I have had over the years . God bless you and I hope the pain eases with time .

Old 11-03-2017, 11:23 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
So very sorry for your loss. While saying good bye to a dog is very difficult I do think the sudden unexpected deaths are even more difficult. Sadly there are many things that can cause a sudden death in both dogs and humans. My parents lost one suddenly that turned out to be from a ruptured tumor on his spleen, he was acting lethargic and would not eat that day. They went to the ER vet who thought it was a spinal injury gave them pain meds and told them to take him to their vet in the AM. He died during the night and their vet did a necropsy for free ( back in the 80'S).

I have always found doing something with photos of my dog and just talking about my and telling stories about the dog helps me get through the grief. I do have friends who used a pet loss support group and found it helpful.

My heart goes out to you and your husband and I hope time will mend that hole in your heart you must be feeling. ((((Hugs to you both)))) Roxy will live on forever in your heart and via your memories.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:27 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Very, very sorry for your loss.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:45 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
I'm so sorry to read this. What a terrible shock. Sending my condolences to you and hoping you find peace in remembering the happy times you shared.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:00 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,385 times
Your post brought tears to my eyes. I recently lost a healthy 8 year old French Bulldog...my beloved Wolfgang, suddenly and unexpectedly. He vomited a couple of times on a late Thursday afternoon, we took him to the evet where he got a shot for nausea and sub/q fluids...and we all came home. The next morning we were on our way to our own vet and it was almost exactly like your experience. He was gone. The light had left his eyes. I wailed too. He was not sick. I didn't opt for a necropsy but my vet suspects it was hemangiosarcoma...an aggressive disease, cancer, that's difficult to diagnose and by the time it is, it's often too late. It was probably a tumor on the spleen. Knowing this doesn't make my grief any less and nearly 4 months later, I still ache and my heart is heavy. His beds are still throughout the house, his feeder in place, his bed on the floor next to my side of the bed...his crate still up. I know I need to move on...somewhat...but I can't bring myself to do so. I have over 1000 pics of him on my phone and as much as I want to look at them, the tears start every time. The devastating loss of my sweet boy is still so fresh and raw...so I'm grieving with you. I wish i could help you but I'm having a hard time helping myself. I'm going to check out the link to the online bereavement message board.

I didn't mean to make this post all about me...I feel your shock and pain so deeply. I grieve with you as you look for answers and solace. I just didn't want for you to feel so alone. You are not. Please DM me if you'd like to continue this with personal emails. Don't beat yourself up. It's highly unlikely anything could have changed the final outcome.

I hope Roxy is running with Wolfgang...healthy and happy. I tell myself that I believe in the Rainbow Bridge and I pray it's true because I'd like nothing more than to be reunited with my boy some day. I wish you peace and healing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs