U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2017, 01:38 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,031,823 times

Advertisements

so when i'm walking my dog walter, he almost always goes really nutso when he sees another dog. he's never attacked another dog since i've had him (not sure what went on in the 4ish years before i found him), but he acts really aggressive, barking and growling and lunging. we live in a city so walking him around other dogs is not avoidable.

if he gets the chance to actually meet the dog he's freaking out at, he's generally fine. sometimes he keeps growling and we move on. but obviously people aren't always particularly eager to LET him meet their dogs and i don't exactly blame them! he also tends to do fine if he's not at any point prevented from getting to the dog, like if it's coming towards us or stopped on the sidewalk and we walk right up to it without stopping. then he generally won't even growl.

he's also fine meeting dogs off leash, although i don't take him to dog parks because he's clearly not comfortable being mobbed by a bunch of dogs at once. he doesn't get aggressive at all, but he's just obviously not happy. with 1 or 2 other dogs he's good and he likes to play.

the only way i've found to manage this is teaching him "look at me" (using positive reinforcement) and just redirecting him before he sees another dog. he's medium good at this; once he sees the dog sometimes he does a little growling or barking and sometimes he keeps his attention on me. i don't see every dog before he does though! i'd really like to socialize him to the point where he can walk past a dog on the sidewalk without freaking, so i can avoid playing ******* crossing the street trying to avoid other dogs! any ideas about whether this is possible? suggestions about how to do it?

Last edited by groar; 12-11-2017 at 01:47 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 01:39 PM

haha why is f r o g g e r censored in my last post? i probably don't want to know, actually.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:45 PM

oh another weird thing: he does not do this when we are walking in the woods, even on leash. on a trail he can go right past another dog with no problem. he only does this on sidewalks. but that's our whole neighborhood.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:57 PM

14,380 posts, read 16,948,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
oh another weird thing: he does not do this when we are walking in the woods, even on leash. on a trail he can go right past another dog with no problem. he only does this on sidewalks. but that's our whole neighborhood.
I would reward appropriate behavior when you encounter a dog in the woods and he doesn't react. Context is often iffy with dogs, but very positive reinforcement when he's behaving well with strange dogs in one environment may translate. I'd say he's probably just overstimulated in an urban environment.

Otherwise, I would work some commands to distract him. Hand touches are a great one to get your dog to focus on you. Get the hand touch to really be solid, and then try that when you encounter another dog. It just seems like you need to step up from just "look at me" is all. I'm working that with my Catahoula puppy, and she's starting to get it.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:09 PM

21,101 posts, read 11,665,607 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwNe...&feature=share

Old 12-11-2017, 09:13 PM

21,101 posts, read 11,665,607 times
Quote:
so when i'm walking my dog walter, he almost always goes really nutso when he sees another dog. he's never attacked another dog since i've had him (not sure what went on in the 4ish years before i found him), but he acts really aggressive, barking and growling and lunging. we live in a city so walking him around other dogs is not avoidable.

if he gets the chance to actually meet the dog he's freaking out at, he's generally fine. sometimes he keeps growling and we move on. but obviously people aren't always particularly eager to LET him meet their dogs and i don't exactly blame them! he also tends to do fine if he's not at any point prevented from getting to the dog, like if it's coming towards us or stopped on the sidewalk and we walk right up to it without stopping. then he generally won't even growl.

he's also fine meeting dogs off leash, although i don't take him to dog parks because he's clearly not comfortable being mobbed by a bunch of dogs at once. he doesn't get aggressive at all, but he's just obviously not happy. with 1 or 2 other dogs he's good and he likes to play.

the only way i've found to manage this is teaching him "look at me" (using positive reinforcement) and just redirecting him before he sees another dog. he's medium good at this; once he sees the dog sometimes he does a little growling or barking and sometimes he keeps his attention on me. i don't see every dog before he does though! i'd really like to socialize him to the point where he can walk past a dog on the sidewalk without freaking, so i can avoid playing ******* crossing the street trying to avoid other dogs! any ideas about whether this is possible? suggestions about how to do it?
I tried all techniques from this school of thought w/o success. I contacted a dog trainer that is more about silent communication, and he sent me this video. We are doing GREAT with this method!

Old 12-28-2017, 12:04 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,278,318 times
Quote:

I do not let my dogs meet other dogs while on leash EVER. If they are loose and approach us, they get smacked with a baton or other weapon.

To deal with your own dogs' reaction, there are many ways. If corrections (preferably with prong or ecollar) aren't effective, you can act like a "post" and let your dog freak out in controlled circumstances (say, with a friend walking a dog around just out of range) until your dog gets bored. Reward. Repeat. Teach your dog if he sees another dog he gets a rewards if he looks at you.

If your dog is in that frame of mind and meets other dogs, he will ALWAYS be in that frame of mind around other dogs. NEVER let another dog approach him when he is like that. Do what you have to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs