Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 07:19 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

last year our black 3 yr old min schnauzer developed a sore left front foot--we thought she hurt it/twisted it--playing with our large cat--
took her to vet cause was limping and licking it--vet said no outward sign of injury--no cut or bleeding--gave her anti-inflamatory med.
Took that--no real improvement and she started to get growth between two of pads on that foot--different vet at clinic saw her--did not know really what it was--did not look like normal type lesion--was bumpy and hard--not oozing--wanted to just cut it out -- thought it might be fast growing type of cancer

we waited because she had had something to eat and could not have surgery -- took her home--I started to read about sore feet/bumps and read about canine gout--which seems to affect only large-breed dogs--perhaps only Dalmations--but other dogs get similar calcified growths--

we decided to wait and treat it with antibiotics--and the anti-inflamitory med--the growth eventually was about as big half a rasberry and was bumply like that--at first it was deep pinky red and then it turned whiter--we thought at first she had actually broken bone in her foot and it was extruding through the pad when it turned grey-white--
she insisted on going outside and would try to put weight and run on that foot---
she did not act that sick most of the time...
well, it took almost 3 weeks but the large bump went away and her foot returned to normal--
this morning we noticed that she wsa limping a little on the left front foot--and I have noticed her licking that foot a little more often--she does not normally lick her feet very much at all...

we looked at the pad--it is sore--she did not want us to touch it--but there is no bump that my husband could feel
so guess I will take her to the vet today--

does anyone have any experience with same thing happening to your dog---

she eats Innova 1/3 cup twice a day--sometimes a little more--and we do give her snacks like Greenies and a healthy dog biscuit--she weighs abut 15-16 lbs--she is not really that miniature in stature--
I must admit that sometimes I give her other foods--tastes of what i am eating--

we eventually decided that maybe our cat had hooked the dog's foot with a claw or bitten her foot in play and she got an infection in the pad that developed into the abcess/bump---and they play/rough-house together once a day or so I guess

none of her other pads were affected and she has a good coat--no schnauzer bumps even--gets bathed with oatmeal shampoor
so a skin allergy does not seem likely
she has been on the Innova since she was a puppy

so any ideas--suggestions--
we live in Bedford Tx which is between Dallas and FTW--have gone to same vet office for past 25 years which has gone through several ownerships--most of the time we are pleased with this one and it is very close in case of emergencies...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 08:00 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
What about interdigital cysts (between the toes) - ? They can last a while and then come back somewhere else, am wondering if it's possibly that (although they're not that uncommon and I would think the vet would recognize them). Just a thought (the 2nd link has a photo) -

Interdigital Cysts and Growths

Merck Veterinary Manual

Interdigital Cysts

Good luck

PS Innova is a great food, I wouldnt think a tidbit of people food would cause a problem (although would stay away from fatty foods and not too thrilled w/ Greenies b/c they can cause blockages etc, jmo)

Old 05-12-2008, 08:17 AM

thanks for the prompt reply
I looked at your links
apparently those types of cysts drain--and Maggie's did not--it was like "proud flesh" if you are familiar with that term and really had bumps when it was at full blown status--like a cauliflower--but red and then the whitish-grey

I have given her pistachio nuts from time to time--that is the worst--and they are not really as fatty as some other nuts--I could understand if she got upset stomach--like pancreatitis from eating them but she is not having any of those symptoms

Old 05-12-2008, 12:56 PM

389 posts, read 3,538,361 times
I have to say, I honestly did not know dogs could get gout! I would be curious to know what causes it. In humans, it's generally a by product produced by the breakdown of things like red meat and red wine which produces purines and then an increase in uric acid. I think there is also a type of gout caused by certain arthritis...

I am sorry I am not being helpful, but you really have me curious.

Good luck

Old 05-13-2008, 05:36 AM

I guess I overreacted about my dog's possible limping--so far she has not done it again--played in the yard several times yesterday--chasing her ball and running around--showed no sign of favoring the left foot--
took her to the vet and he could not feel anything starting up in her pads--
first time he tried she was really resistant--then he held her a different way and it was smoother--
said to watch her and if she did start limping I could just call in and get some antibiotics--
as far as gout in dogs--apparently ti does have something to do the the kidneys--
some sites say that only dalmations develop it but there are other large breeds that are mentioned on other sites however--

Old 10-09-2011, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 7,293 times
I have a dalmation and last year his leg at the joint swelled the size of a grape fruit. It eventually burst. leaving a whole that eventually heal. Three to four months later he formed a cyst o his right paw that drains. The vet didn't know what it was. Today the same spot is swelling again. After reading and searching I have put two and two together. He has gout and yes that is a draining cyst on his front right paw. I need to take him to the vet tomorrow to confirm and put on meds.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:06 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
I have to say, I honestly did not know dogs could get gout! I would be curious to know what causes it. In humans, it's generally a by product produced by the breakdown of things like red meat and red wine which produces purines and then an increase in uric acid. I think there is also a type of gout caused by certain arthritis...

I am sorry I am not being helpful, but you really have me curious.

Good luck
I think gout is different in dogs. It's not related to uric acid like it is in humans.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:04 AM

1 posts, read 6,136 times
I have a mini schnauzer that has the same problem - painful hard lump between the toes. Antibiotics & steroids cleared it up the first time & about a mont later it came back. My vet says it is a "toe tumor" and typically these are fast growing cancer tumors, so I have scheduled surgery for her (name is also Maggie) in two weeks. The vet will remove the tumor & the toe to ensure that all cancer is removed. He says she will not even notice her toe is missing after she heals. Also says that if we do not do the surgery now, we will more than likely have to remove her whole leg due to the quick spreading of this type of cancer. Please look up dog "toe tumors".

Old 10-28-2014, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,116 times
I have a ten year old dog crossed breed part ratty and black lab just a few days ago i noticed his right leg and under his chin was twice the normal size I took him to the vet they had no idea what it is he is on pain mess and anti-inflammatory but does not seem to help has anyone experienced this before if so what did you do to help your pet.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:09 AM

857 posts, read 2,216,261 times
Gout can go in spurts but it is exceedingly PAINFUL when is flares up!
Pain meds are needed at these times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs