Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 03:56 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times

Advertisements

Thought I would check in and see how everybody is doing?

I hope Scout is getting past his infection. Dash seems to be over his and took his last antibiotic this AM ( Yeah!). Giving him Robitussen DM at bedtime seems to have really allowed this infection to drain out so his breathing has been better then with past infections. I don't think keeping him on antibiotics would be good as these past couple of times he has been on them he does not eat well and my vet really does not want him loosing weight.

This evening I will give him his neoplasene. I have had him off it since new years as I wanted to get him cleared up before giving any more of it. I am hoping that I can keep him from getting as stuffed up as he has gotten by backing off when I suspect an infection or feel he needs to heal from a tissue producing sneeze. He is on metronomic therapy so when he does not get the neoplasene he at least still has that going for him.

I had him out one day and two old ladies came up and were looking at him and telling him what a handsome boy he was. Well he no longer trusts people that act nice like that as he thinks they could be vets in disguise so he had his head down. Finally he realized they were just two sweet old ladies out to do nothing to him so he looked up at them and gave them a butt wiggle. His face was covered in nasty looking snot but his two new girlfriends said nothing about it. Inside I was laughing as he was far from handsome at that moment.

I hope everyone else is doing well and that those of you in the cold areas of the country are staying warm. You are all in my prayers. Jan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 06:38 PM

82 posts, read 440,049 times
I'm sorry for what you're going through with with your dog and condolences to you for losing your mom, how very hard that had to be.
I had a dog with nasal cancer. My 15 year old Schnauzer, Muffin. She was such a love. She didn't have any pain, but did have bleeds. When it got to the point when one of the bleeds was so bad I thought it was going to suffocate, I had her pts. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do as between the bleeds she was fine. Stay stong give lots of hugs.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:50 PM

104 posts, read 471,114 times
Default tillie update

tillie is hanging in there but our friends say she sounds like darth vader as her nose breathing is sometimes loud and deep and gurgly. i liken it to sucking the last of your chocolate shake out of a straw when there is nothing left in the bottom of the glass. but then there will be times where she is sleeping or just hanging out and her breathing is peaceful and quiet. i am not sure if Robitussen DM would be right for her. jan, let me know if tillie's symptoms sound like what was ailing dash. i don't think there's anything to lose by trying it if it will calm down her breathing. btw, she is not congested as she has been in the past, just has the sound of whatever bloody/snotty/mucous-y stuff is in stored up in her nostrils.

i was interested to hear that dash does not eat well while on antibiotics. tillie's been on baytril for a few weeks - as she is on and off - and has decided not to eat her rawhide after-dinner treat. i don't know if there's a connection. i will look for her to start with the rawhide strips again when she is off the baytril. meanwhile, i sent an email to dr ayl/tracy to let him know that some 7 months after IMRT out 10 1/2 yr old girl is still around. i thought he'd like to know how his work is holding up and, as i've mentioned, we have not been back to him in 3 or 4 months. well, not surprisingly, i haven't heard back. we know how noncommunicative that place can be!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:23 PM

22 posts, read 95,028 times
For those of you who are thinking of trying the guaifenesin route (Robitussen or any similar generic product with guaifenesin in it), the dosage is .5ml per 10lbs of body weight. Emmitt is 22lbs and gets 1ml. I generally cut it with distilled water to lessen the taste. He seems to tolerate that better.

Tallmomma, I used that EXACT description to describe Emmitt's sound (sucking the last bit of your shake through a straw). The generic Robitussen definately helped with that! I spoke with Dr. Scanlan who told me that there was a possibility that some of the dead cells had become infected in Emmitt's nose and that we may want to put him on antibiotics for a week. She also gave me the name of three medications to order that specifically targeted his obviously inflamed nasal cavity. We could only get the recommended medication through our veterinarian. He put him on antibiotics for a week and ordered the medicine for us and we started treatment last Friday. I will give it a few more days before I report on the effects. I WILL say that on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the best, Emmitt is now about a 7. Stay tuned...I'll let everyone know how successful we were with knocking out the stuffiness.

In the mean time, please try the guaifenesin. It won't hurt your dog if he/she is congested. It helped Emmitt as well as me and my wife get some much needed rest! Hang in there! We will all figure this out one way or another!

Old 01-29-2009, 12:35 PM

129 posts, read 491,350 times
Glad to hear everyone is plugging through okay. I got a little nervous with the quietness of the board! Scout is still on his antibiotics and seems to be doing well. The essentially stopped and, while I'm still seeing a bit of blood every once in a while, it's better. The question will be what to do when the round of antibiotics is done. Hopefully, he'll remain symptom free, but if not I'll have to decide whether to start prednisone or another round of antibiotics. The clindamycin costs a fortune!

We got a foot and a half of snow yesterday so we've been playing outside a lot. He's skiing and snowshoeing with me daily like a champ. These dogs are amazing.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:31 AM

Tallmomma,Tillies breathing sounds alot like Dash however we were getting small amounts of yellow drainage so I knew there was an infection so decided maybe it would clear up faster if the Robitussen opened him up so it could drain out and it seemed to have worked, Just make sure you do not use any robituusen or other brand that has acetaminophen in it as that is toxic to dogs. The DM formula does not have it.

So far the neoplasene does not have Dash stuffed up yet. I ended up doing 0.3ml down each nostril as both have been bleeding off and on. He was so mad at me as I think he thought we were done with that stuff since he has not had it since New Years. I am planning to try it every 4 days then back off to once a week this time.

Dash had a very hard time the last time he was on Baytril so this time we used clavamox again. It did not use to affect his eating but this time it did. He is getting back to his normal eating which is good. I give him probiotics when he is on antibiotics and for awhile after wards to keep the good bacteria in his gut. Right now he is looking pretty good but we all know how that can change over night.Sending out positive thoughts and prayers to all who are on this journey with us.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:00 AM

104 posts, read 471,114 times
we will try the robitussin DM and keep you posted. thanks to all.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:57 PM

129 posts, read 491,350 times
We got a script for prednisone from our regular vet today. He recommended giving it a shot and seeing how Scout handled it. Scout is about 65 pounds, and he has him taking 20 mg per day for 3 days and then 20 mg every other day. My parent's dog takes pred for Addison's Disease but only 1 mg per day. I was wondering how much your dogs were taking. I have a call in to the oncologist to make sure she agrees with it, so I'm not going to start it yet. Figures, though, that the blood drops have stopped now that I have the pills...
The vet is also recommending Scout have cosmetic surgery to pull up his upper eyelid to minimize rubbing on his cornea (rolling in of the eyelid is due to radiation) and irritation. It's a simple one day procedure, but I'm not sure I want to put him through it. It also costs a few hundred dollars, which I'm sure I'll need as his condition worsens in the future...not sure what to do.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:54 PM

Dash is not on prednisone as he is on piroxicam for the antiangiogenesiss effects. But If I recall correct my parents dog Henry was on 20 mg of prednisone every day for a few days then every other day, He started it because of skin issues then for his Lupus. The dose probably depends on what they are treating and for how long.

One of my brother's bulldogs has had eye lid surgery as his eye lids curl inward and the eye lashes scratch on his eye. I know it is not cheap but they have had to do it twice already as it gets so bad Bruce can not open his eye as it is too painful. So I think I would base any decision on is it causing a problem and making his eye painful?

It is hard to know what to do so I do feel for you but I do know we each make the right decisions for our dogs when we need too. And you will do the same.Give it some time and think about it and don't let any one else rush you into making any decisions as you know Scout the best and know if his eye is painful or not. It is just always one thing after another with our poor pups as if the cancer alone is just not enough

Old 01-31-2009, 05:43 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
My friend's beagle is the same. I can't believe how long she has had nasal cancer.

She is still on prednisone and still peeing all over the house. Last night she pooped inside the house, too. I notice she is sleeping heavier and longer. But other than that, no change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs