Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 10:21 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,833,140 times

Advertisements

...and the coat after 10 months is thinnish and all undercoat.

Brief history: We adopted a dog that looks to be part Border Collie or Aussie, maybe part Setter(?) after an unfortunate interaction with a car. She was apparently running loose, covered with ticks, fleas, under-nourished, her rear leg badly shattered and needing surgery. My brother (responding law enforcement) called us (the biggest suckers on the planet) a week after her accident after her owner failed to come forward.

So the vets had to shave the entire rear leg for external pins. She was 4 months in a cone and a pen in our living room to restrict movement. The leg has healed quite satisfactorily but her coat isn't the same on that leg. Also they shaved a spot near the base of the tail for spinal anesthesia and that too is still visible. Will the guard hairs come back eventually? She's a great dog and we love her but it would be nice to have her coat back, especially this cold winter.

I searched this forum but couldn't find an answer. Thanks.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:48 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
I'm glad she found the biggest suckers on the planet

It will take some time for the growth to regenerate as we've gone through a shedding season. I suggest adding salmon oil to her diet as it's great for skin, coat, heart and joints.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:18 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
When Jazz was about 12 she had to have a large nerve sheath sarcoma removed from the front of her chest. She was a border collie X cattle dog ad had a very dense double coat which had to be shaved in that area. Her coat never grew back she got a little line of fuzz down the actual incision line but for the rest of her life (2.5 yrs) had that big bald spot on the front of her chest. I could put a bandana around her neck or fancy holiday collars to hide it. I asked an older groomer I knew about it and she said sometimes when you shave double coated dogs down all the way the hair does not grow back. But that is something people with double coated dogs need to think about especially those that shave them down for summer, I think the groomer said it is more common as the dog gets older.

I want to say thank you for taking the dog in and giving her a loving home may you have many wonderful years with her.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:50 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
My previous Australian cattledog needed several surgeries/shaving over the years. Her coat was never quite the same in those spots, but over years some of them did come back. Some sites seemed to recover better than others. Her spay was done at age 3. The fur there was always thinner. Maybe part of it depends on the particular site? For example, belly undercoat tends to be thinner anyway so maybe it doesn't recover as well.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:43 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Bah Humbug I Shaved Strip Clipped Collies & Shelties & even Other Breeds ALL had no problems Growing their coats back!

Old 01-24-2018, 03:36 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Bah Humbug I Shaved Strip Clipped Collies & Shelties & even Other Breeds ALL had no problems Growing their coats back!
I do not know what the Bah Humbug is about as in my post I said that the groomer said SOMETIMES and that it is more common in an older double coated dog... and yes My dog was one the hair did not ever grow back and I have talked to others that had the same experience so why Bah humbug just because you never had that experience?

Old 01-24-2018, 03:46 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
The dog will have to go through an entire coat cycle, which means a full year. If there is an actual scar there might not ever be hair on the scar.

With shaving, the end of the hair is blunt when it grows back in and all that hair has to be shed and grow in new before it looks right.

Unfortunately a small number of females have a coat change after being spayed and their coat after that will be wooly forever. Maybe as she sheds it will all turn to wool. It's rare. I've only had one girl do it; a papillon, which is a miniature spaniel and spaniels are more prone to turn wooly. But none of my other papillons ever did it.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:51 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
PS: my wooly Papillon never had her coat shaved, it just came back wool after her annual shed.

Trying to think which breeds I've seen it in. Border collie a couple of times and cocker spaniels have a higher instance than other breeds. But it is not common enough that it should stop anyone from spaying.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:10 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,833,140 times
Thanks folks. I guess I'll wait to see what happens (if anything) and also I'll be grateful that she (Lucky) has full hair coverage but a shorter/finer/woolier hair coat on the shaved leg. She is missing the guard hairs and long feathering that she has elsewhere. The vet thinks she's 6-8 y/o.

On another note we have another rescue (looks like a little Beardie) that had some sort of puppy blow where she lost massive amounts of coat at around 11 months old. We saw skin all along her back and on her rear legs. We were freaking out thinking she had some sort of disease but apparently some dog breeds do that. She was black and white. She grew in very full but the black turned to a medium gray and her hair is soft/silky.

I appreciate the input.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:59 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,583,552 times
I really have no new advice to offer about your dog's coat, other than to wait and see what a full cycle brings. I mostly just wanted to say that these pups are very lucky to have you. You may say you are a sucker. I say you are an angel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.