Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 12:26 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,098,750 times

Advertisements

Situation: ...86 yr old gentleman who has had dogs (labs, german shepherd, brittany) all his life.
Will be faced with putting down present dog, probably within 6 to 12 months.
Lives in rural setting (fenced 14 acres), for many years, with proper cyclone fence dog run 12x20 w/ dog house for 6 to 8hr daytime use and proper nighttime sleeping area in utility room.
No cats, kids or any other adults.........a one man/one dog environment. Multiple references available.
When the time comes for individual to put present dog down, ...he wants to immediately acquire another suitable dog for companion/ house-dog / degree-of-protection type situation.
He has decided he does not want a puppy or even a young dog............thinks a rescue dog from a normal, good non stressful environment in the age group from 4 to 7 yrs of age would be perfect.
Wants to deal with a highly respected Rescue organization and is willing to pay up to $500.

He thinks the following types (breeds of dogs) would be good choices: ...............
German Shepherd; Malinois or Siberian Retriever............male or female not important. But must be neutered.

All helpful, opinions, suggestions and comments would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 12:29 PM

32,480 posts, read 47,405,393 times
An adult German Shepherd might be ok, depending on the dog. Malinois would be awfully high energy for an 86 year old man, unless he is in training to run a marathon and wants a dog to run with him. Malinois is strong willed, wired to protect, and extremely high energy. Not an easy breed to control for a person who is not seriously into dog training.

Alaskan husky Labrador cross seems like a really weird cross to do deliberately. I can see all sorts of possible results from that cross that would be less than stellar house pets.

The way some rescues are run $500 might be on the low side to get a purebred rescue that has been screened in a qualified foster home. The only "non-sressfull rescue situation" I can think of would be to buy a retired show dog from a serious fancier show breeder.

He's accustomed to high energy dogs, so maybe he can get a bird dog that dropped out of bird dog school. Not all dogs can attain the high standards required and those dogs are kicked out of the program. Gundog breeds from hunting lines are really high energy, but they tend to be very kindhearted, people oriented, and non agressive. If he wants a bit of protection, then a German shorthair pointer or a weimaraner. The German origin gun dogs were bred to protect and many of them still will.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:51 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,574,293 times
Mals need a job to do. Staying in a run or laundry room isn't work so the dog will get bored and destructive. Bad choice.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:55 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,261,753 times
My father was an active, fit and outdoorsy 80-something with a border collie. She died young of cancer. As active as he was and as much as he loved her, that dog was still bored.

My advice would be to get an older lab. A 4-7 year old Mal or German Shepherd would still be a lot of dog and require a lot of training. The thing to consider is that at 86, this guy's health could turn on a dime. What happens to the dog then? If it's a poorly trained adult Mal or GSD, it would be very difficult to rehome.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:23 PM

22,815 posts, read 18,101,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
He has decided he does not want a puppy or even a young dog............thinks a rescue dog from a normal, good non stressful environment in the age group from 4 to 7 yrs of age would be perfect.
Wants to deal with a highly respected Rescue organization and is willing to pay up to $500.

He thinks the following types (breeds of dogs) would be good choices: ...............
German Shepherd; Malinois or Siberian Retriever............male or female not important. But must be neutered.
Agree with other comments about the Malinois. That's a focused working dog! He has also narrowed his "acceptable" rescues to what most other people are also wanting. Of course such an easy dog exists in rescue, but availability low and competition high, and from people who offer an active life with families, kids, etc. Even if he found one it won't be available for long. He doesn't know when he'll be ready. Why make such a specific choice so soon?

Personally, what is described as a Siberian Retriever sounds like a headache for someone who wants a "house dog" companion. Something big, powerful, that sheds year round but may also shed a huge amount, may be hard headed and set in its ways, may not stay home, may run wildlife, high exercise needs, just a lot of dog. Just about any dog can offer protection. Sled breeds don't tend to protect/defend territory. Where I live this is a very common unplanned neighborhood cross. Shelters are full of them that just sit.

I'm not saying he should only consider some small toy breed because he's older, but there are so many medium sized breeds and crosses of mild temperament and less need available that could suit so well. He may want a dog that fits the image of the breeds he's owned previously, but would they be the best fit now?

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-30-2018 at 04:48 PM..

Old 07-01-2018, 07:33 AM

7,339 posts, read 12,555,925 times
Aww, Griz, so sorry the gentleman has to go through the process of losing his buddy. But what a great relationship the two of them have had...

I know it is hard to deliberately look for a mixed breed, but I would recommend a Shepherd-Lab mix, based on our almost 13 years with First Dog, the smartest, most loyal and loving dog in the Universe . Maybe we were just lucky, but she came equipped with all the best qualities of the GSD and the Lab: intelligence, courage, family bonding, loyalty, and patience. If the elderly gentleman can find a 4-7 year old "Sheprador" that's been living with a loving family, he may have found the best possible potential ready-made companion for years to come.

Best of luck to him...

Old 07-01-2018, 07:53 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,946,607 times
I would suggest at 85 not to get any dog other than a senior dog because of the age factor of the human . does he have a backup plan for who would take the dog if he should suddenly pass away in his sleep let us say ? or any other cause . at 85 this is something that should be well thought out before aquirring another pet . Im sorry but facts are facts and I have two friends that have had to take on the responsibility of dog ownership when their mom suddenly passed away . They were not prepared to do this and mom left no instructions of what she wanted done with tippy . sad but true so I would say pass on any animal that age because they could live another ten years and at 95 human most likely wont want to be walking that far with a dog .

Old 07-01-2018, 09:26 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,489,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I would suggest at 85 not to get any dog other than a senior dog because of the age factor of the human . does he have a backup plan for who would take the dog if he should suddenly pass away in his sleep let us say ? or any other cause . at 85 this is something that should be well thought out before aquirring another pet . Im sorry but facts are facts and I have two friends that have had to take on the responsibility of dog ownership when their mom suddenly passed away . They were not prepared to do this and mom left no instructions of what she wanted done with tippy . sad but true so I would say pass on any animal that age because they could live another ten years and at 95 human most likely wont want to be walking that far with a dog .
What...haven't you heard? 90 is the new 50.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:12 PM

2,319 posts, read 1,957,002 times
Huskies are almost as bad as malinois, and more headstrong, I'm told. So I'd think a lab/husky mix would be a chancy idea. I don't have much to add actually - you've gotten the "malinois is a bad idea" advice enough times. And that's good advice. They need work.

As for German Shepherds, I'm not much keen on them at all, for anybody, for a number of reasons. Not anymore - years ago I thought they were a great breed. Most are still good dogs, but it depends. So, for me, my advice with a GS is to get to know the dog before finalizing. More than an hour or a day. Couple weeks would be good.

Brittanies; the gent has had Brittanies - he'll know their shortcomings. I don't see any risk there other than typical Brittany ****.

Labs I've known aren't good guard dogs - too friendly. But I've seen some mixes with a good alert function.

I also agree about cost - $500 may be low. Depends on how the market is out there. I see Missoula County has an animal control office - and they have some dogs. My advice would be to loosen up on the breed qualifications, and go down to the Missoula Animal Control office, and the Missoula Humane Society, and ask them to keep an eye out for good potential dogs. Give them that list of what the dog needs to be, just like you did here. I see Animal Control has an Aus Shep mix - which might work - if the dog is settled enough. Some Aussies won't do well with so little human contact tho - they have a tendency to prefer being close and following along, so they can be there on the farm or ranch, when they get a job. But I've known plenty who lived regular pet lives, with working people, gone 10 hours a day. Get the gent out to meet some dogs, and good luck.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:38 PM

32,480 posts, read 47,405,393 times
It's too bad the budget isn't bigger ( a lot bigger) because a Leonberger would do exactly what he wants. Big, impressive, smart, easy to train, very human oriented, good judgement. A Leonberger will protect when necessary, but won't bite the house guests or neighborhood kids.

Almost any dog will protect and just by being around, a big dog discourages crime because the criminal doesn't know whether the dog will bite or not. It's not necessary to have a protection breed.

One thing that I would suggest to be seriously considered. At that gentleman's age, an easy grooming breed would be easier to live with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs