Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 02:20 PM

18,525 posts, read 15,362,274 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have a new puppy coming at the end of August, and I want to be ready when he gets here. I have had 2 dogs in the past, but with the first dog, my parents took care of this stuff as I was only a child, and my second dog was a rescue that was already beyond the puppy stage when I got her. So I have never had to care for a puppy before. I was wondering all of the things I will need, so I did an internet search.

These are the AKC recommendations, but more specifically, I was hoping for some input on which are the best in each category?

Food designed specifically for puppies
Treats for training
Food and water dishes
Crate (to be replaced by a bigger one as he grows)
Puppy housetraining pads
Bedding (at least 2 sets)
Dog gate(s)
Soft, adjustable collar (and new ones as he grows)
At least one 4- to 6-foot leash, leather or webbing (an additional longer lead useful for training)
At least 5 or 6 safe chew toys (the more the better—toys can be rotated)
A soft-bristle brush and sturdy metal comb
Gentle puppy shampoo
Good-quality dog nail trimmer

He is a mini Bernedoodle (basically a mutt, with a purebred Bernese mountain dog mother and a purebred mini poodle father), expected to weigh between 30 and 40 pounds as an adult. will be 9 weeks old when we get him. My kids named him Ollie. Here his picture in the thumbnail below.

I would appreciate any input I can get on the best puppy food, treats, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
What to buy before the new puppy arrives?-0063bc9f-8e23-47c5-a7b5-af0c90ed30dd.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 02:41 PM

1,201 posts, read 812,482 times
Fun! Congratulations on the new puppy! For the crate, I would get the size he will need as an adult and use the moveable divider as he grows. For collars, I like to use a martingale on puppies- don’t want to take a chance of them slipping the collar. I have raised 4 puppies and never bought or used puppy pee pads! Why train them it’s ok to eliminate in the house? My pups learn from day one that they do there business outside. Definitely a 20-30 ft leash for training recalls, stays, etc. Personally I use a dremel for nails and start getting puppies used to it the first day I have them. I work with them every day or so the first 2–3 weeks, just turning it on and tugging and tapping on nails if they don’t need trimming. Bully sticks. Lots of bully sticks. Bitter Apple spray is good to have, as is Nature’s Miracle enzyme spray in case of an accident inside. I don’t use special puppy food or shampoo. I use gentle, natural shampoos anyway and I start them on raw pretty much right away.

THe most important thing is train every day, 3-4 sessions each day from the time you bring him home. Also establish and stick to house rules (waiting at doors, no jumping, down/wait for food, etc.,). The pup should not be allowed to do anything that you don’t want him doing as an adult. They are SO EASY to train at this age and if you do the work, you can have basic obedience trained by 12 weeks or so. During those first three months, training sessions should be 5 mins or so, then put in the crate for a nap - just a few short sessions. Also, those first weeks should be used to teach the puppy to stand still for brushing, stick fingers in his ears, in his mouth, squeeze and put fingers between his pads, touch his butthole, etc., and do not allow him to dictate what gets done to him. Hold him firmly and never release him when he is struggling, only when he has relaxed. All these things you do the first few weeks can make the rest of his life so much easier. You can set him up for success or failure in the first 12 weeks!

Old 08-12-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Fun! Congratulations on the new puppy! For the crate, I would get the size he will need as an adult and use the moveable divider as he grows. For collars, I like to use a martingale on puppies- don’t want to take a chance of them slipping the collar. I have raised 4 puppies and never bought or used puppy pee pads! Why train them it’s ok to eliminate in the house? My pups learn from day one that they do there business outside. Definitely a 20-30 ft leash for training recalls, stays, etc. Personally I use a dremel for nails and start getting puppies used to it the first day I have them. I work with them every day or so the first 2–3 weeks, just turning it on and tugging and tapping on nails if they don’t need trimming. Bully sticks. Lots of bully sticks. Bitter Apple spray is good to have, as is Nature’s Miracle enzyme spray in case of an accident inside. I don’t use special puppy food or shampoo. I use gentle, natural shampoos anyway and I start them on raw pretty much right away.

THe most important thing is train every day, 3-4 sessions each day from the time you bring him home. Also establish and stick to house rules (waiting at doors, no jumping, down/wait for food, etc.,). The pup should not be allowed to do anything that you don’t want him doing as an adult. They are SO EASY to train at this age and if you do the work, you can have basic obedience trained by 12 weeks or so. During those first three months, training sessions should be 5 mins or so, then put in the crate for a nap - just a few short sessions. Also, those first weeks should be used to teach the puppy to stand still for brushing, stick fingers in his ears, in his mouth, squeeze and put fingers between his pads, touch his butthole, etc., and do not allow him to dictate what gets done to him. Hold him firmly and never release him when he is struggling, only when he has relaxed. All these things you do the first few weeks can make the rest of his life so much easier. You can set him up for success or failure in the first 12 weeks!
Thank you so much! So, for the crate, they make them with dividers? The site I looked at didnt show dividers, just different size cages. I figured I would have to keep upgrading as the puppy grew.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Thank you so much! So, for the crate, they make them with dividers? The site I looked at didnt show dividers, just different size cages. I figured I would have to keep upgrading as the puppy grew.
Midwest crates are a high quality crate but I’ve bought 4 of these Amazon brand crates and been very happy with them. They are a great price. https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...training&psc=1

To start out, the puppy should only have just enough room to lie down, stand up, and turn around. As he gets bigger, you move the divider back incrementally. Once they are keeping the crate clean consistently and doing their business outside, I give them a more generous space. But the first couple weeks, it’s just enough room to sleep.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:12 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,524,893 times
I didn't see an exercise pen on your list. You mentioned baby gates, so you may not need one. The way my house is set up, gates won't work and the Xpen is great for when I take a shower, need to separate my puppy from other pets, etc. without being as confining as a crate.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Midwest crates are a high quality crate but I’ve bought 4 of these Amazon brand crates and been very happy with them. They are a great price. https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...training&psc=1

To start out, the puppy should only have just enough room to lie down, stand up, and turn around. As he gets bigger, you move the divider back incrementally. Once they are keeping the crate clean consistently and doing their business outside, I give them a more generous space. But the first couple weeks, it’s just enough room to sleep.
That one on amazon looks great. Any idea of the size I should get for a dog that will eventually be 30-40 lbs?

Old 08-12-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
I didn't see an exercise pen on your list. You mentioned baby gates, so you may not need one. The way my house is set up, gates won't work and the Xpen is great for when I take a shower, need to separate my puppy from other pets, etc. without being as confining as a crate.
I should probably get the pen too. I haven’t had baby gates in a long time, and my house is an open floor plan so its not so easy to separate rooms.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
That one on amazon looks great. Any idea of the size I should get for a dog that will eventually be 30-40 lbs?
I would ask the breeder what they recommend for an adult. That’s what I did. My dog breed is about 18” high and around 30 lbs and I got the 30” x 21. They usually have guidelines for breeds if you know a breed of similar size.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:50 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,524,893 times
Quote:
I should probably get the pen too. I haven’t had baby gates in a long time, and my house is an open floor plan so its not so easy to separate rooms.
Yea, I have vintage cherry cabinetry in both my kitchen and bath that is not replaceable. Those are the two easiest rooms to block off and it wasn't worth the risk with a beagle puppy that lives to chew and dig!. A neighbor of mine had to replace all of her kitchen cabinetry after gating her Jack Russell puppy in there.

Pens are also movable so you can put in your family room/LR etc. so puppy doesn't feel isolated. A great tip I read (wish I heard this earlier) is to go to a flooring store and get a cheap vinyl remnant to put under the Xpen. This way you can put it anywhere and protect carpet or expensive hardwood floors from accidents or scratches.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
I would ask the breeder what they recommend for an adult. That’s what I did. My dog breed is about 18” high and around 30 lbs and I got the 30” x 21. They usually have guidelines for breeds if you know a breed of similar size.
I ended up buying the 36 inch one. If anything, it may be on the large side, judging from the dogs on the Midwest Crates list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs