Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 11:32 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times

Advertisements

I just picked Dante up from the kennel yesterday and he has cough, but that seems to be about the only symptom. He may be running a little warm.

He had his kennel cough shot before going, and is acting normal.

At what point do you go to the vet or wait a bit to see if it clears up?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 12:33 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Two of my dogs have had hacking coughs over the years and it always turned out to be allergies.

Symptoms of kennel cough are the hacking cough, a low fever, sneezing, runny nose and loss of appetite. But I wouldnt wait too long to go to the vet, even if your dog has been vaccinated against kennel cough. And, if it turns out that the dog does have kennel cough, I'd certainly ask the boarding kennel to pay for that vet visit. Good luck!

Old 07-23-2018, 12:37 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
If he's acting normally and eating and drinking and the cough isn't bad, you may be OK waiting another day. If he's not acting normally (activity level, eating and drinking) or it's gotten worse since you picked him up, I wouldn't wait.

If he still has it after a couple of days at home, I'd absolutely get it checked out. It's possible to get kennel cough even if the dog's been vaccinated or it could be something else altogether. If it's the flu you for sure don't want to wait to have that treated.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:07 PM

122 posts, read 124,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
If he's acting normally and eating and drinking and the cough isn't bad, you may be OK waiting another day. If he's not acting normally (activity level, eating and drinking) or it's gotten worse since you picked him up, I wouldn't wait.

If he still has it after a couple of days at home, I'd absolutely get it checked out. It's possible to get kennel cough even if the dog's been vaccinated or it could be something else altogether. If it's the flu you for sure don't want to wait to have that treated.
Last year, my 12 year old Corgi developed a chronic cough that I thought was kennel cough. Because my other two dogs are on the road a lot being shown, I thought she picked it up from them.

After a few days and the cough isn't going away, I took her to the vet who x-rayed her. He felt she either had blastomycosis or an aggressive form of cancer. Suddenly, we were talking about supportive care.

Because I have the two other dogs at home and some dogs do recover from blasto, we went ahead and tested for blasto which came up negative. We made her as comfortable as we could and she died at home a couple of days later.

Not trying to scare you; but, if the cough persists, please take your dog to the vet and ask for an x-ray.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:02 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Vaccinating for bordatella is like vaccinating for the human cold - there are just so many strains. So it could be bordatella and you just have to wait it out. I wouldn't worry too much yet. If it gets worse and there's a persistent fever, get him to the vet. Just keep him resting and don't let him and Steve mix it up too much. You can try keeping them apart, but honestly it's so contagious, it probably will just be a hassle.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:53 PM

Thanks for the input. I'm going to wait and see how it goes - he was playing today, but you can tell he is still a little subdued.

He shared a large kennel with Steve, but he shows no symptoms.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:14 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrzdefector View Post
vaccinating for bordatella is like vaccinating for the human cold - there are just so many strains. So it could be bordatella and you just have to wait it out. I wouldn't worry too much yet. If it gets worse and there's a persistent fever, get him to the vet. Just keep him resting and don't let him and steve mix it up too much. You can try keeping them apart, but honestly it's so contagious, it probably will just be a hassle.
thank you!!!

Old 07-24-2018, 09:17 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Two of my dogs have had hacking coughs over the years and it always turned out to be allergies.

Symptoms of kennel cough are the hacking cough, a low fever, sneezing, runny nose and loss of appetite. But I wouldnt wait too long to go to the vet, even if your dog has been vaccinated against kennel cough. And, if it turns out that the dog does have kennel cough, I'd certainly ask the boarding kennel to pay for that vet visit. Good luck!
Having the kennel pay for the vet visit makes as much sense as having the school your child attends pay for cough/cold medicine.

There are several strains of Bordetella, just as there are several strains of the human flu vaccine, neither is 100% full proof.

To the OP, considering a cough from derive from a few things; kennel cough, heart issues, flu or pneumonia, I suggest hitting the vet for safety's sake.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:34 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
Any update OP? Hope he's feeling better.

Standards13
, so sorry to hear about your corgi.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:49 PM

He doesn't feel as warm and he is not coughing nearly as much. When he starts running around he starts coughing again, and he is still a little subdued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs