Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2018, 11:34 PM

840 posts, read 773,928 times

Advertisements

What laws apply to a person who claims to have lost 2 little dogs ...

picks up a nearly-identical-to-one-of-their-dogs dog that was found alone & many miles away from their home ...

discovers it isn't theirs, supposedly after leaving with it ...

but, instead of returning the dog to the person that was taking care of it while trying to find its real owner, takes it to their home 26+ miles away, without knowledge of the person who initially found & was caring for it while looking for its owner ...

supposedly to try to find its owner from there ... ?

This scenario is playing out right now in S CA. I was privy to the OP's lost ad, and another person shared texts from the finder of a nearly identical but younger dog, who unwittingly released the dog to what he thought were the owners, never to hear from them again....

The one who posted her family lost 2 dogs, & picked up this found dog as their's ... claim they were going to take it to the pound when they decided it wasn't theirs ... then decided to take care of it themselves at their home, while trying to find its owners themselves ...

all while looking for their own 2 lost dogs. whom their children likely miss very much (their pictures are posted on this lady's account).

There had been some accusations made by an excited & upset animal lover in the group, and in response to that the OP said she didn't appreciate being accused, and then the entire thread that started with pictures of her family's 2 lost dogs was deleted by her / the person having picked up & kept a dog they admit is not theirs.

I'd like to think they're trying to be honest & get that dog home, but, can't see that making any sense since they've removed that dog from the area where it's found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 05:48 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,999,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
. . .I'd like to think they're trying to be honest & get that dog home, but, can't see that making any sense since they've removed that dog from the area where it's found.
Being honest is not the same as being smart, or thinking clearly, or having common-sense. They could be honest, and acting like idiots.

Honesty also comes in all shades of grey. They could be making honest attempts to find the dog's humans, but have a selfish reason for taking it home and being dishonest about that aspect.

I'm no lawyer, but I don't think the law comes into play much on this. AFAIK, the law treats dogs like property. So, if they found Lost Dog #2, away from it's humans, it would be like finding a purse somebody lost at the mall. Finders keepers legally, I think. Not a moral or neighborly answer, though.

The situation sounds morally shady to me, don't think one could come down clearly on one side or the other. I just hope all the little dogs get returned to their proper human homes.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:57 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Some of the smartest people do the stupidest things .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs