U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2018, 04:17 PM

10,939 posts, read 12,070,092 times

Advertisements

I just got sad news that my aunt's dog died. He was older, I think 13 or 14 but so far, only had cataracts, but the vet wanted to keep him a few days to run tests & give him IV for some reason. He died while still at the vet & my aunt was supposed to pick him up today. She'll tell my mom more later. I hope nothing suspicious went on at the vet.

I found that dog for her & was with her when we picked him up from the breeder. I LOVE dogs & have attended dog shows in the past for when I got my dog & hers. I like unique breeds that you don't see everyday. Hers was a purebreed Bichon Frise.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 04:56 PM

1,148 posts, read 953,789 times
A Bichon that age has died of old age.
You are grieving: sorry for your lost.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:12 PM

Thanks. I hope that's all it was. It just seems a little odd to me. However, my cousin (my aunt's daughter) did mention about a month ago that the dog didn't look quite right & I guess he recently started sleeping on the cold bathroom tile floor. I wonder what that means? Lots of dogs like a cold surface, but we know that when there's any kind of new behavior to get it checked out. My aunt's quite a busy lady working 6-7 days a week so maybe she didn't notice how he was back then. So sad.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:27 PM

3,507 posts, read 2,910,150 times
I read a traveller's blog online. Back in 2014, her little dog died from Cushings' disease. It is often mistaken for the aging process in dogs. You can read it about halfway down this page of her blog. One of the symptoms is the dog seeks out cool surfaces. Her little dog always ran to the streams' edge and laid in the cool waters as soon as she came to a new campground.

Spike’s lab results lead to a diagnosis | rvsue and her canine crew

I'm very sorry about your dog, and hope you and Mother feel better.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:56 PM

Thanks again. Again, it was my AUNT's dog.

More info here: The vet said it was something w/ his pancreas, but NOT pancreatic cancer.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:02 PM

17,024 posts, read 10,614,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks again. Again, it was my AUNT's dog.

More info here: The vet said it was something w/ his pancreas, but NOT pancreatic cancer.
Pancreatitis? It can be fatal if it goes untreated. And, early symptoms may not be noticed. Why would you suspect something suspicious at the vet?

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-20-2018 at 04:04 PM..

Old 10-20-2018, 04:29 PM

4,985 posts, read 11,854,721 times
Vets do not keep healthy dogs for a few days to just run tests. Usually when a vet keeps a dog for a few days to run tests and give IV fluids and or drugs you have a very sick dog. And If it was indeed pancreatitis that can turn deadly quite fast. Vets and even human doctors are not Gods or magicians and often can not stop death when an illness has reached a certain point no matter what they try. Too often what actually can happen is that we prolong death not life and that is sad.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:26 PM

I'm just hearing what my mom told me that her sister told her over the phone. The vet even said he was fine the day before. That's what led me to wonder. My aunt didn't even want to take one last look let alone take possession of the body. I would have at least looked. She did break down quite badly when the vet told her & they didn't want her to drive, but to relax there for a while in which she did so for quite a while before she left.

When my Boston Terrier had to be put to sleep, I was right there by his side even when the dr administered the shot in which he was dead in a few seconds.

Now both of our dogs are up in heaven together even though they never met each other on earth.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:26 AM

12,441 posts, read 9,791,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks. I hope that's all it was. It just seems a little odd to me. However, my cousin (my aunt's daughter) did mention about a month ago that the dog didn't look quite right & I guess he recently started sleeping on the cold bathroom tile floor. I wonder what that means? Lots of dogs like a cold surface, but we know that when there's any kind of new behavior to get it checked out. My aunt's quite a busy lady working 6-7 days a week so maybe she didn't notice how he was back then. So sad.
I'm sorry for you and your Aunt.

But it was a 14 year old dog. Their time with us is all too short. No reason to think the vet did anything wrong.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:34 PM

1,148 posts, read 953,789 times
I've put a handful of pets down (even other people's pets because the dog was suffering BADLY and the owner couldn't cope) and I stay until the end plus a little until I am ready.
When you adopt a pet, there's a beginning, a middle and and end : you sign up for all three or not at all.
Shelters are full of elderly sick cats and dogs of owners who won't be there for them at the end. It saddens and angers me to no end.
Off my soapbox...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs