Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 01:06 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,196,266 times

Advertisements

I'm feeding Honest Kitchen which might slide off of a flat plate. But a pie plate might work.

Since discovering this problem with the stainless steel bowls, I have been looking at all of my own kitchen stuff and almost anything newer is from China. Sadly, I don't think there are any guarantees that products meant for humans have been tested enough to fully determine their safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 01:35 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
how about going to a restaurant supply store if you have one in your area and look and see if they have stoneware bowls which im sure they would have . My sister did that because she fosters giant breeds and also has two of her own so she needs bigger than average bowls and she goes to the restaurant supply and it works out just fine .

Old 10-24-2018, 04:56 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
And do you know where they are made?
Sure Do! Turn them over & READ the Bottom Tells you Right there where they are made!

Old 10-24-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I'm feeding Honest Kitchen which might slide off of a flat plate. But a pie plate might work.

Since discovering this problem with the stainless steel bowls, I have been looking at all of my own kitchen stuff and almost anything newer is from China. Sadly, I don't think there are any guarantees that products meant for humans have been tested enough to fully determine their safety.
Why do you Think everyone is talking about Thrift Stores or Goodwill? Cause they are OLDER Usually Made in the USA! Mostly come from homes where elderly have gone into nursing homes or Died There for the Cook wear is SAFE!

Old 10-24-2018, 06:06 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,911,673 times
I was just going to say that. Germany, England, stoneware etc etc. I could read off my stamps on the bottom but they're downstairs. Good quality, keeps it's nice appearance, some with very pretty designs.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:12 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,996,578 times
Quote:
The vet prefers that I not give food or water to my seizure prone dogs in anything but US made stoneware or glass bowls. Metal bowls from China were definitely a big seizure trigger for both of them, so I agree. I've been looking for these alternatives, with no success. The only thing I found was a place that makes them by hand for very high prices. Given that one strong seizure could easily break the bowl, I don't really want to go that route.
Does anyone know if it's even possible to find non-metal, non-plastic, US made, or at least non-Chinese, bowls any more?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
I use a large glass mixing bowl for water for my cats. But the corningware suggestion is good. That stuff is very sturdy. I have some stuff from the 60's that was my MIL and has been abused and well used, and I use weekly still. You can usually find it in thrift stores.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
For feeding larger dogs, go to a flooring store and buy one large ceramic tile. Dump the dog food on it. I use flat rubber mats (bowls scare one of mine), so I feed them both on floor level. They just lick it right up off the mats and they are easy to toss into the sink to wash.

My "scaredy" dog is even nervous about drinking water from a bowl, so they drink from oversized coffee cups from the dollar store lol.
Quote:

Interesting thread! First, tho, I REALLY have to wonder what problem there could possibly be with stainless steel bowls, made anywhere!? The whole point of stainless is it doesn't interact with stuff, because it's really hard. So it's not going to leach any chemicals into the food. But do tell me if you think otherwise!

Corningware and Pyrexware are good suggestions, but here is something you probably didn't know. Pyrex changed their glass formula some years back (in the 90's, if I recall), and it is now LESS abuse resistant, but more temperature-change-resistant. It is still pretty tough stuff, but it can and does sometime break. So if I had large dogs who could and would break a ceramic bowl, I would be hesitant to use a Pyrex mixing bowl. BTW, I discovered this a couple of years ago, when, in one year, we broke a half dozen Pyrex or Pyrex-like glass baking pans and mixing bowls. We broke our glass stovetop the same year. It was a bit weird. Nothing has broken since, knock on wood!

We do have some smaller glass bowls that seem to be made of heavier glass. We've also got a cheap ceramic salad bowl I picked up in a grocery store, which has been quite sturdy.

The ceramic tile idea is a super one! And 2nd hand stores - another good idea. If I were going to use wood, I might first sand it down, and then treat it with mineral oil to re-seal it. Depends on whether it had any surface coating before. Shellac or who knows what oil. For instance - boiled linseed oil (which is ok for furniture, but not for food surfaces).

Old 10-25-2018, 08:53 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,049,154 times
I didn't read the whole thread but old corningware casserole dishes are fantastic for feeding dogs. We also use them as water bowls. They are inexpensive at thrift stores or you can buy them on e-bay for not very much. They are break resistant, easy to clean and can go in the dish washer.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:34 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photosensitive_epilepsy

IF the Vet said NO Metal he mean ALL metal inc Pie Pans & Stainless Steal!

Old 10-25-2018, 11:46 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,196,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Interesting thread! First, tho, I REALLY have to wonder what problem there could possibly be with stainless steel bowls, made anywhere!? The whole point of stainless is it doesn't interact with stuff, because it's really hard. So it's not going to leach any chemicals into the food. But do tell me if you think otherwise!

I still have the bowls in case anyone knows how to get them tested. Do you?

The seizures stopped when I stopped using the bowls. I don't know if it was a contaminant in the steel or some kind of coating, but it was bad for my dogs. I recently read that Chinese made jewelry can be high in cadmium. And apparently there has been some recycled radioactive material included in steel. I'm using US made stainless steel bowls now and they have been tested for various heavy metal contaminants, but I'd prefer something else.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:13 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,691,352 times
I suggest going to a thrift shop or garage sales and see if you can find something. Have you shopped at someplace like Homegoods or Target? They have everything from plastic to ceramic, glass, and china as well as wood. Would wood bowls work? What about going paper and trying Styrofoam bowls?

I use corningware for my pets. I also have a reverse osmosis at our kitchen sink and use that water after running it thru our Brita. Our water has heavy minerals. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs