Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 02:53 PM

32,690 posts, read 48,227,692 times

Advertisements

Fingers crossed and hope it works.

I bought a nice gas stove for a rental that has a dehydrate setting. The house is vacant. I keep looking at that dehydrate setting and wanting to try it. But it takes 8 hours and I don't want to sit in an empty house for eight hours and I won't leave food cooking in the oven.

So, I look at my oven with the convection fan, wondering how low it will go. A little test shows I can set it at 170 degrees.

I put in two trays of thinly sliced yams this morning at 170 degrees with the convection fan blowing.

So far, so good. The yams have lost half their size and are drying. If this works, I've got two eye of round roasts in the freezer.

In the past I've made beef jerky for my dogs. Just meat. No salt or seasonings. It makes a very high value treat.

It's a high value treat for humans, too, and a well received Christmas present. So, perhaps one roast made into salt-free jerky for the dogs and the other roast made into jerky for the people. The roasts were bought for dog food, but the dogs will never know I stole their dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 03:00 PM

Back when ovens had pilot lights, I used to make wonderful beef jerky just from the heat of the pilot light. It's been decades since gas ovens came with pilot lights.

Pensive loves yams and she knows there are thinly sliced yams on the kitchen counter. Ever optimistic, she is sitting on her feed-me mat and staring at the place where she knows the yams are. Surprisingly, it turns out that she is capable of sitting still for a very long time.

I've seen ( very high priced) dried yams being sold as dog treats in the fancy pet food store. I've never tried drying yams. Both the dogs love yams so I am hoping that the dried yams are a high value treat.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:29 AM

It worked! The yams turned out crisp and dry. Both the dogs are crazy about them.

Pensive is crunch crunch and down the hatch. But the Papillon has to chew hers and as dry and crunchy as they are, it's possible that they are tooth cleaning, at least for the little guy.

They actually taste pretty good to me, too

Old 11-18-2018, 03:40 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,209,417 times
Thanks for sharing this process. Do you keep them in the refrigerator?

Old 11-18-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Thanks for sharing this process. Do you keep them in the refrigerator?
I've got a few sitting out. The rest are bagged up and placed in the freezer. Dehydrated foods should be able to sit out on a shelf and not spoil.

I have to put them up so that Pensive doesn't sit in the kitchen staring at them. She has never counter surfed, but it wouldn't be sporting of me to place so much temptation right where it smells so good.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:39 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,981,260 times
Pensive: engaged in, involving, or reflecting deep or serious thought about counter surfing.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:45 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,987,245 times
Interesting. I have some dehydrated lung that the dogs love, but it's on the pricier side. Might buy some fresh and dehydrate in the oven.

Gross, but I love my dogs.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-19-2018, 10:43 PM

5,098 posts, read 12,606,634 times
Oregonwoodsmoke, My little pig of a dog, Chaos wants your address as she thinks your snacks sound Yummy! She would be sitting with Pensive staring at them.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Oregonwoodsmoke, My little pig of a dog, Chaos wants your address as she thinks your snacks sound Yummy! She would be sitting with Pensive staring at them.
Isn't Chaos a high speed dynamo? There would be a Texas Italian tornado rollicking in my house, furniture flying, squeaky balls being tossed, wild birds terrified, divots ripped out of lawn by flying puppy paws, with frequent breaks in the games for a gulped down snack.

Pensive would love to have a playmate who could keep up with her. Pensive is very good about sharing food. Resource guarding has never crossed her mind. She shares her snacks very nicely.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Interesting. I have some dehydrated lung that the dogs love, but it's on the pricier side. Might buy some fresh and dehydrate in the oven.

Gross, but I love my dogs.
Lungs aren't that bad to handle and not terribly stinky for offal. Because I've raised meat for my family, my dogs have eaten a fair amount of lung. It is interesting to cook, because it floats and it won't stay under water to boil it.

Do you have a source for raw lung? In my area, the custom butcher could be coaxed to save me some odds and ends. Most people don't want the offal when they butcher, so it gets thrown away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs