Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2019, 03:56 PM

325 posts, read 228,977 times

Advertisements

Hi I have posted on her before when I first got my rottweiler puppy. He was 6mos old when I bought him. He is now 3yrs old. When he was younger I would take him to the vet to have his nails clipped but as I currently am in a bit of financial drop I can't afford to do that. I have had dog nail clippers since I got him but every time I have tried to do it I get one nail done if that an as soon as it clips and he hears it he gets upset. He's a very gentle dog but have thought theres a possibility of him biting or nipping me when I try to do his nails. Even if he just sees the clippers he runs. But if gas laying down an kinda sleepy I will try but again as soon as first one gets done he jumps up an gets skittish. I don't think it can hurt him because it gas the safety on it but I think the sound scares him. Now he gets weary if I even touch his nails. He does give me paw when commanded but not if he sees clippers. Any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 04:23 PM

177 posts, read 126,362 times
I was going to type a novel, but here you go instead...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWOkW8wLiSk a great how to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBKni77UfsQ since your dog doesn't like clippers, this one is a good introduction to a grinder.

Good luck!

Old 02-04-2019, 05:45 PM

34,095 posts, read 83,020,975 times
You need three people and the tailgate of a pick-up truck.

The owner holds and comforts their dog.
Person #2 distracts them with small bits of kibble.
Person # 3 does the clipping.

Kibble-clip! Kibble-clip! Kibble-clip!

Old 02-05-2019, 07:48 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,383,527 times
One at a time. Reward as soon as a nail is done with lots of praise and treats. You might not get all of them done for a while, but trying to do all paws (or even all toes on one paw) can be overwhelming to a dog who is afraid of nail trims. You may have to start by 'pretending' to do a nail in the beginning (put a bit of pressure on the nail with your finger while holding the trimmer, to simulate a trim).

I've rarely ever had to trim any nails of dogs I've had - they've always managed to wear them down on their own - but I did have a dog who, every once in a blue moon, did need to have nails clipped. She HATED it, and would threaten to bite whenever I tried. So I began introducing her gradually, rewarding when warranted, and - oddly enough, this helped her the most - I let her play with the clippers after we were done. I imagine playing with the clippers could be substituted with playing with a toy (would make more sense, but hey, she was a bit weird ). Her phobia eventually went away.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:36 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,510,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
One at a time. Reward as soon as a nail is done with lots of praise and treats. You might not get all of them done for a while, but trying to do all paws (or even all toes on one paw) can be overwhelming to a dog who is afraid of nail trims. You may have to start by 'pretending' to do a nail in the beginning (put a bit of pressure on the nail with your finger while holding the trimmer, to simulate a trim).

I've rarely ever had to trim any nails of dogs I've had - they've always managed to wear them down on their own - but I did have a dog who, every once in a blue moon, did need to have nails clipped. She HATED it, and would threaten to bite whenever I tried. So I began introducing her gradually, rewarding when warranted, and - oddly enough, this helped her the most - I let her play with the clippers after we were done. I imagine playing with the clippers could be substituted with playing with a toy (would make more sense, but hey, she was a bit weird ). Her phobia eventually went away.
This is what my vet said to me too. Dogs that are getting enough exercise rarely need trims. The techs looked at my dogs nails too and said they are good and don't need cut. I found out that some people desire a short nail that doesn't make any sound at all on hard floors. There is a lot of clipping involved to achieve that look as only regular trims will move the quick back. OP, I would ask your vet next time you are in if you are in doubt.

For times you need to clip I recommend the advice of having two people. I have never met a dog who likes it. I even trained mine as a puppy and once his nails got thicker he hated it. I never hurt him or cut the quick, BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs