Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,172 times

Advertisements

I have a 6 year old American Bulldog who has had a phantom pregnancy & I don't want her to have to go through that again. But I have people telling me conflicting information about her being too old, the effects of anesthesia & problems that can come after. I don't know what to do?? Any advice is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 01:03 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,985 times
I'm sure your vet can discuss all the particulars with you. IMHO, I don't think your bulldog is too old to be spayed. My Boston Terriers have been under anesthesia several times at ages 10 and 11. Todays anesthesia protocols are very safe and do ask for all the details from your vet. Mine has a tech whose only job is to monitor the vitals of the animal during surgery. I usually go for the bells and whistles...do have a senior blood panel run beforehand.

Let us know what you decide.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:17 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worried dog Mumma View Post
I have a 6 year old American Bulldog who has had a phantom pregnancy & I don't want her to have to go through that again. But I have people telling me conflicting information about her being too old, the effects of anesthesia & problems that can come after. I don't know what to do?? Any advice is welcome.
Spaying will eliminate some other potential problems.

I adopted a dog who was certainly over ten. She was spayed with no problems. Talk to your vet.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:30 AM

231 posts, read 236,644 times
Not too late.

Just make sure your dog is kept intubated until she is able to walk around,so no respiratory problems occurr.

Bulldogs need special care when under.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:41 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
We adopted an 8 year old yellow lab and had her spayed. No issues. I think she was so thankful to not be a puppy machine anymore!

Old 04-30-2017, 08:03 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,028,242 times
Quote:
If you look up Canine Pyometra you will find that about one quarter of intact female dogs are at risk for this life threatening uterine infection. As far as I know, spaying is the only way to ensure that this won't happen to your girl. Any surgical procedure carries some amount of risk, but she will never be in better shape to handle the anesthesia and recovery than she is right now.

In the five years that I was a vet tech, I recall a couple of times when we had to do a spay on a dog with pyometra. That was a high risk surgery on a patient weakened by infection, but the only way there was to save the dog's life.

My final suggestion is that when you are considering medical options for your dog, only pay attention to the opinions of veterinary professionals. Friends and family and forum members may be well meaning, but they are not qualified to guide you in these important decisions, and you will only become more anxious as you get conflicting advice. Get at least two opinions from vets you respect and go with what they recommend.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:13 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Quote:
Mine had no problems when she was spayed at 6. It of course depends on the health of the individual dog. If the vet says it's fine, I'd spay her. I've had dogs who were much older than 6 have no issues with anesthesia. I wouldn't worry about what "people" say.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,440 times
I just want to chime in here quickly, because recently I was looking through these forums when contemplating spaying my 16 year old chihuahua toy fox terrier/ chihuahua. She had an open pyometra infection, which can only be treated by emergency spay operation. Our vet said we could either get the surgery that day or euthanize her. While my dog is very old, she still runs around, enjoys food and life. At the same time the risk of such a surgery, the anesthesia, and her extremely old age made us think there was no way she would survive surgery. I couldn't find any cases online of a dog that old surviving, my vet was remaining neutral, and friends and family were split. Long story short, I decided it didn't seem like her time to go and went forward with surgery. I dropped her off, the surgery went well, and picked her up the same day. She rested and took medication for about a week. Now, 3 months later she runs around like a greyhound, plays with other dogs, and is full of life. I just had a feeling it wasn't her time to go, and obviously this situation could have been very rare and may not be the same for everyone. I just wanted to share a success story for those who are in the shoes I was in not too long ago.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:23 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
As a Retired Breeder I can tell you That's BS. This time False Pregnancy NEXT time could be Uterus Infection that Either an Expensive ER Spay. Or Put her to sleep!

Old 12-23-2018, 11:40 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexo5 View Post
I just want to chime in here quickly, because recently I was looking through these forums when contemplating spaying my 16 year old chihuahua toy fox terrier/ chihuahua. She had an open pyometra infection, which can only be treated by emergency spay operation. Our vet said we could either get the surgery that day or euthanize her. While my dog is very old, she still runs around, enjoys food and life. At the same time the risk of such a surgery, the anesthesia, and her extremely old age made us think there was no way she would survive surgery. I couldn't find any cases online of a dog that old surviving, my vet was remaining neutral, and friends and family were split. Long story short, I decided it didn't seem like her time to go and went forward with surgery. I dropped her off, the surgery went well, and picked her up the same day. She rested and took medication for about a week. Now, 3 months later she runs around like a greyhound, plays with other dogs, and is full of life. I just had a feeling it wasn't her time to go, and obviously this situation could have been very rare and may not be the same for everyone. I just wanted to share a success story for those who are in the shoes I was in not too long ago.
WOW Glad to hear she doing Fantastic!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs