Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 12:45 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Georgy got a bath on Sunday after she slipped into the pool, unable to resist the grandkids. She can swim, yay, but I need to teach her to go to the swim out and stairs, once she’s older.

Speaking of wet, all of our dogs have been oblivious to rain, including Georgy now. It’s a steady rain today and she still takes her time and doesn’t even hesitate when she sees wet!

At almost 15 weeks, Georgy is potty trained. There have been no accidents for the past two weeks and she has never done a poo in the house, just a few wees when she couldn’t hold it. She goes to the door and sits and if anxious, gives a yip. I take her in the back yard, going through the pool cage. The left door is for wees, the right for poos. In a pinch, she’ll do both on one side, but prefers them separate.

She passed her puppy class and we start basic obedience next week. I really like the instructor, she hones right into what each dog and owner needs.

I totally love having a dog again! I had a lot of chat saved up. Thanks for this thread. I know people didn’t want to combine the pic thread with chat, but I hope it’s okay for a pic in chat.

Attachment 207954
Is she a Springer? Our darling springer spent many happy hours swimming in our pond. She’ll love your pool. They are such great dogs.

Watch her ears carefully. Our dog got a lot of ear infections and was finally deaf at the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 12:54 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I just want to comment about grain free food. I gave it a try, only a week or so ago, because our dachshund smelled so “doggy”, breath was bad, shakes his ears A LOT, and scoots his tummy along the carpet as if scratching.

Although his ears are clean as a whistle and his skin and coat appear fine, something just seemed off.

I already notice an improvement! I can’t believe how fast it’s working.

Old 02-16-2019, 04:41 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,551 times
Yay for this dog chat thread

Old 02-16-2019, 05:35 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,753,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Is she a Springer? Our darling springer spent many happy hours swimming in our pond. She’ll love your pool. They are such great dogs.

Watch her ears carefully. Our dog got a lot of ear infections and was finally deaf at the end.
Thanks, I will watch them, especially if she likes the pool. I’ve been touching her paws, face and ears getting her used to it. Our last Springer went ballistic if his ears were touched. He was like a backing bronc when I had to put medication in. I don’t want to go through that again.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:07 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Great. Now I'm crying and it's not even 7am.

If DH gets up right now and sees this, he will turn around and walk back up the stairs.....
No, thank YOU. I thought it was pretty special. It's what we all have felt - but nobody else had the talent to say it this way.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:28 PM

Jean_ji My newly acquired Rottweiler likes her ears massaged, so hopefully she will be good about ears meds if I ever have to do that. Freyja will be two years March 23rd and was rehomed to me last December.

I rescued my Catahoula/Pit as a yearling, 3-1/2 years ago. The shelter had named him Sheldon. He knew his name because he'd been there awhile, elst I would have changed it to Radar because when he stands them straight up, he has the biggest ears I have ever seen and he can rotate them, lollol. He has always been good about letting me poke around in his ears for no reason.

We went to Pet Smart $$$$

I probably could have ordered an XXL orthopedic dog bed on line, cheaper that what I paid on sale at Pet Smart but I wanted a bed "five minutes ago."

The XXL pillow-bed that came with Freyja is not holding up under her weight. I do not like to see big dogs falling into "holes" in their beds because the stuffing is breaking down. And I know that huge pillow was not cheap.

We also bought a new cat cave bed for the barn cat because he likes to sleep on the hood of the tractor in the garage -- the tractor stays plugged in during the winter so the hood is heated -- every cat's dream come true, lol

The new cave is Gorilla taped to the hood of the tractor, Freyja is on her new bed in the bedroom and her old pillow bed is in the living room because she doesn't like the crate mats every other dog that's ever lived here has always liked.

Then there's the my two remaining horses who enjoy their share of creature comforts but this is "Dog Chat", so suffice it to say The Boys are 23+ and coming 25. They have been with me 12-1/2 years & 22-1/2 years respectively. I will try to keep quiet about them but it will tough

Old 02-19-2019, 03:06 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
It's noon here and it's been raining since early last night.

Dante is such a snowflake that I think he held his pee until right now. I swear he squatted for about 30 seconds.

I have no idea how he will deal with a move the mainland.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-19-2019, 03:26 PM

2,340 posts, read 612,369 times
Our puppy Bastian is a GoldenDoodle - he is almost 6 months old and today weighed 45.4 lbs. He was groomed yesterday and they notice Redness in his ears, so to the Vet this afternoon, and yep - ear infection. So drops in both ears for 7 days. They also gave me something to rinse out his ears when he gets them wet the the mud puddles in the back yard. He loves the water and lays in it. I wish the rain would go away for the yard to dry up - I need to mow - but it is too wet and the mower will get stuck.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:17 PM

I got barn chores done and manure dumped about 15 minutes before the rains came this morning --- it's now 6:00 PM and the rain hasn't stopped.

The dogs would not go out in the backyard at all today. When DH got home from work, I put their reflective vests on them and they went to the barn with him while he put shavings and hay in the stalls. Doing their business in the pouring rain in the real world was more fun for them, I guess.

I will go to the barn myself and put the horses up for the night, so DH can stay in the house with the dogs -- which there is a reason for that -- <sigh>

I hate hate hate crating a dog. I have t had to crate a dog since my first Rottweiler in the early 90's.

It seems my newly acquired 23 month old Rottie is worse at finding verboten things to chew than my first one was.

When I came up from 2-1/2 hours at the barn this AM, she had got up on the counter and pulled a bunch of papers onto the floor.

Thankfully the only,thing she chewed to smithereens was the rolled up "whipping paper" as DH calls it. That rolled up paper gets shown to everyone -- dogs and cats alike, but not anymore, lol

It was the last on of a laundry list of things she has gotten into, soooo, it was with heavy heart that I brought the training crate (that her previous owner gave me) into the house.

She is going to have to go to jail while I'm at the barn to save my blood pressure. She knows when she did something wrong but she can't help herself -- I'll be glad when her Terrible Twos are over, lol

It's still raining -- with lightening and thunder -- that my Catahoula/mix is petrified of. Once this rain event passes thru, Rain Event #2 comes along on Wednesday and promises to bring even more "inches of rain".

We sit high with great natural drainage but we will still be a soggy mess, as the rain is not supposed to totally stop for several days. My bottomland pasture is as green now as in the summer because, in the whole, we have been warmer than usual for February.

Good thoughts coming to those who are dealing with never-ending mud and high water.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:30 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,964 times
A youtube find for all of us. Totally cute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZS5cgybKcI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs