Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 03:50 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

Welcome everyone to the doggie chat thread!

All the same rules apply here that apply in the forum, so you may want to visit (//www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...-pls-read.html), if you haven't already.

Other than that, no additional rules apply, feel free to bring problems, brag on your pup, or ask general questions.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 04:50 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,259,867 times
Ou ou ou I’ll start! Synn got her first grooming experience with Petco today. She did so good (I’m told). They gave her a bag of treats and she smells like new carpet lol.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:07 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Well a new carpet small is better than the cheap perfume smell mine have come home with.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
Ou ou ou I’ll start! Synn got her first grooming experience with Petco today. She did so good (I’m told). They gave her a bag of treats and she smells like new carpet lol.

Love that new dog smell.

Mine are in desperate need of cleaning, but even in Hawaii, we are having a "winter" storm, and I can't bring myself to do anything to make them colder than what they already are.

I'll do an update on Steve, our rescue attack dog: if some will recall, he didn't play, or wag his tail for like the first 6 months. He is constant wags now, and actually, almost, played tug-of-war.... once. HUGE step for him.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:49 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,259,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Love that new dog smell.

Mine are in desperate need of cleaning, but even in Hawaii, we are having a "winter" storm, and I can't bring myself to do anything to make them colder than what they already are.

I'll do an update on Steve, our rescue attack dog: if some will recall, he didn't play, or wag his tail for like the first 6 months. He is constant wags now, and actually, almost, played tug-of-war.... once. HUGE step for him.
So happy for Steve. Tell me which toys you use to play tug o war; ropes or plastic?

Old 02-12-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
So happy for Steve. Tell me which toys you use to play tug o war; ropes or plastic?
What magic toy enticed him to almost play? The tape from an Amazon package.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:14 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
Georgy got a bath on Sunday after she slipped into the pool, unable to resist the grandkids. She can swim, yay, but I need to teach her to go to the swim out and stairs, once she’s older.

Speaking of wet, all of our dogs have been oblivious to rain, including Georgy now. It’s a steady rain today and she still takes her time and doesn’t even hesitate when she sees wet!

At almost 15 weeks, Georgy is potty trained. There have been no accidents for the past two weeks and she has never done a poo in the house, just a few wees when she couldn’t hold it. She goes to the door and sits and if anxious, gives a yip. I take her in the back yard, going through the pool cage. The left door is for wees, the right for poos. In a pinch, she’ll do both on one side, but prefers them separate.

She passed her puppy class and we start basic obedience next week. I really like the instructor, she hones right into what each dog and owner needs.

I totally love having a dog again! I had a lot of chat saved up. Thanks for this thread. I know people didn’t want to combine the pic thread with chat, but I hope it’s okay for a pic in chat.

Attachment 207954

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-13-2020 at 07:05 AM..

Old 02-13-2019, 08:56 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
New game.

The roomba found Pensive's Kong, which I had incorrectly assumed was lost in the woods.

There is 2 1/2 foot of snow in the yard and Pensive loves to play fetch. We play fetch in the house with her light weight, foam filled squeaky balls. Now she has her kong back and she wants to play fetch with the kong. I don't want fetch with the kong in the house because it is really heavy and bounces crazy. I'm afraid it will break a window or damage furniture. The snow is too deep to play fetch outside.

So, Pensive brings me the kong and sets it on my lap. It rolls off and she chases it and brings it back and sets it on my lap and chases it when it rolls off.

She likes to leap up and catch the foam balls. If she catches this heavy kong, I'm afraid it will break her teeth. I won't throw it for her.

Share the games your dogs play to entertain themselves.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:56 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Speaking of wet, all of our dogs have been oblivious to rain, including Georgy now. It’s a steady rain today and she still takes her time and doesn’t even hesitate when she sees wet!
Attachment 207954
What a pretty pic you posted! Mine are oblivious to rain or snow if they are loose in the fenced yard and can run around and sniff things (2 beagles) Otherwise, if just on a leash or tie out they are pretty spoiled and want to do their business and hurry back in if a rain drop hits their head.

At work we talked about this and I found out that many with small dogs say they refuse to go out in the rain at all. We went through a polar vortex recently and were discussing what to do with our dogs. I am starting to see why those doggy litter boxes make sense for some tiny dogs. I have cats anyway so am used to scooping litter daily.

I see we have one thing in common; you are on your third Springer and I am on my third beagle. I initially looked at shelters like you and I was open to any small breed. (In my case I wasn't looking for a puppy but found one in need) I had no luck either after looking for months so went with a beagle that I am familiar with.

Just wondering if you are seeing any major differences yet versus past dogs? I sure am. I know all dogs have unique personalities but this one has been a challenge! He is a year now so things are much calmer. My first was very even keeled, middle of the road, the 2nd (I still have and he is 10) is super shy and this pup is extremely outgoing with people and animals and has no fear of anything. That confidence is great but has sure made for some training/listening challenges.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:59 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
.......... but I hope it’s okay for a pic in chat.

Attachment 207954

THat's a beautiful puppy and she sounds really smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs