U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 06:44 PM

772 posts, read 626,617 times

Advertisements

As a spinoff to an earlier post, are there breeds of dogs that you rarely saw and now suddenly they're everywhere?

I never saw chihuahuas as a kid or young adult. None of my dog-owning friends or family ever had one. Now I see them all over the place. And it seems like a lot of the "small" dogs available in shelters or rescues are chis or chi mixes.

I think there are more poodle mixes now. Like someone saw a Cockapoo in 2001, thought it was cute, and then proceeded to breed all sizes of poodles to every other breed under the sun. Now I've seen Goldendoodles, Aussiepoos, St. Bernadoodles, Shih-poos... Poodle mixes come in more varieties than M&Ms.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 05:40 AM

505 posts, read 300,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
I think there are more poodle mixes now. Like someone saw a Cockapoo in 2001, thought it was cute, and then proceeded to breed all sizes of poodles to every other breed under the sun. Now I've seen Goldendoodles, Aussiepoos, St. Bernadoodles, Shih-poos... Poodle mixes come in more varieties than M&Ms.
OMG, yes! I live across the street from my neighborhood park and most of the dogs I see being walked are poodle mixes, Teddy Bears, chihuahuas and yorkie/yorkie mixes. Although I am contributing to the cause by having a Maltipoo.

I think it is the intelligence of a poodle, and being no/low shedding, that make these 'designer breeds' so popular. Then you can mix this breed with others that have desirable traits such as size and temperament.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:05 AM

10,168 posts, read 7,624,041 times
Malinois, unfortunately. Hey, let's get a dog that's bred to bite! What could possibly go wrong.

The GSP is now in the top 10. That's really not a good thing, but mostly bad for some of the dogs since people don't realize how much energy and how tightly wound a lot of them are.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:29 PM

199 posts, read 96,198 times
The breeds I see the most of are not necessarily dogs that have become popular through being en vogue, but rather are a result of failure to spay/neuter or do breed research before getting a dog. Chihuahuas and pit bulls (some purebred but mostly mixes) are the most abundant dogs in rescues right now, so I see a lot of them. I also see tons of purebred German Shepherds and Huskies in rescues/shelters. It's just people getting a dog for looks and not researching the breed first, and then they end up in rescue.

Very sad. It's why I have a chihuahua mix myself even though I never wanted a small dog and definitely not a chihuahua in particular. But I must admit she's the cutest dog ever and cracks me up on the daily. Definitely worth it, but not what I set out to get when I started looking for a dog.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:00 PM

6,063 posts, read 7,068,726 times
Around here a lot of doodles of one sort or another. I might have been interested myself if it wasn't for the cross breeding between two breeds with similar health issues. And I see a lot of little dogs, usually mixes. And lots of Labs and Aussies. The Labs aren't new around here though.

There's one guy I pass sometimes walking a giant dog that looks like a wolf and may be a wolf for all I know. Reallly big. Very beautiful. I've wanted to roll down my window and ask what kind of dog it is but I haven't done that yet as it might in fact be a wolf cross of some kind.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:10 PM

25,386 posts, read 33,351,761 times
Pitbulls and pitbull crosses are everywhere.

And the rescues are deceitful about it. Ad for a collie cross, the photo is a pitbull. Ad for a cocker spaniel mix, the photo is a pitbull. Ad for German Shepherd mix, the photo is a pitbull.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:52 PM

199 posts, read 96,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Pitbulls and pitbull crosses are everywhere.

And the rescues are deceitful about it. Ad for a collie cross, the photo is a pitbull. Ad for a cocker spaniel mix, the photo is a pitbull. Ad for German Shepherd mix, the photo is a pitbull.
That's terrible. The rescues here definitely state that they are pitbulls or pitbull mixes. We have one rescue that started out being only pitbulls but eventually broadened their scope. I don't mind the breed personally but I don't want trouble with my insurance, so I won't go there.

Old 03-16-2019, 12:54 PM

9,405 posts, read 12,305,950 times
IF your dog is truly mixed you won't have any trouble with insurance especially if you're talking homeowners insurance. Renters insurance I can't speak to.
I'm seeing a lot of French bulldogs lately.

Old 03-16-2019, 01:14 PM

9,521 posts, read 5,715,930 times
I was about to say French bulldogs. Never used to see them, now there are a ton. Pugs and corgis also seem a lot more popular than they used to be.

And the "doodle" mutts are EVERYWHERE.

Old 03-16-2019, 01:19 PM

306 posts, read 206,772 times
I see a lot of:
1. Siberian huskies (as someone else said they end up in shelters a lot due to their high energy, prey drive, independent nature, and escape artists abilities). Awesome dogs though. So freaking cute and friendly.
2. Poos and doodles (people think they are hyperallergenic. But they aren't)
3. Brachy breeds (i.e. French Bulldogs). I would want one (best personalities and sizes) if it weren't for their horribly disfigured skulls leading to eye, breathing, and cardiac problems. And not a good breed to have in FL in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or