Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2014, 01:30 AM

283 posts, read 328,255 times

Advertisements

(not me)

Adopt a Dog from the Middle East!! - Bodybuilding.com Forums

But I thought I'd relay this to anyone interested in acquiring a new friend/family member. Touched my heart. They would cover the cost of shipping to any country

A local attacked this dog and his brother with acid. The brother licked his wounds and destroyed his organs and died. This guys healed up and is getting spoiled by the group

Their FB Page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Omani...53369938095862
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 01:53 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,991,308 times
As horrible as those images are and bless the people
Who do rescue from over there, I will keep my $$$ here.

I will keep rescuing from our Texas Shelters, giving money to our animal
Rescue services and shelters, and support the people and pets in our country.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:59 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,007,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post

I completely agree. There is an unlimited supply of "stray" dogs over there - and in many other parts of the world where "village dogs" live. It may seem a bit heartless, but I prefer to think of it as realistic. There are something like 3 or 4 times as many "village" dogs in the world as there are pet dogs. Village dogs breed freely, and don't have a human home like pet dogs do. Even if everybody who wanted a dog adopted one, it wouldn't reduce the number of village dogs.

There is also the very real possibility of fraud. The photos may be real, but the "rescuer" may not be. There is also an unlimited number of opportunities to part with your money, and people who will gladly facilitate that.

Last edited by hiero2; 04-03-2020 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 04-05-2020, 09:09 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,985,472 times
Do they really stone dogs to death? If they really dont care about dogs over there, it be hard for the species to have existed over the generations. Dogs require human care. They are not cats. They cannot survive on their own.

Old 04-05-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Do they really stone dogs to death? If they really dont care about dogs over there, it be hard for the species to have existed over the generations. Dogs require human care. They are not cats. They cannot survive on their own.

That's not quite accurate. They can, and do, survive on the fringes of mankind's communities. Those dogs are "village dogs", and they are the most numerous dogs in the world, far outnumbering pet dogs. If man were to disappear from his cities, towns, and villages, those dogs would not survive long after. But so long as mankind is around, there is enough for them to live on.

Old 04-05-2020, 09:39 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,985,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
That's not quite accurate. They can, and do, survive on the fringes of mankind's communities. Those dogs are "village dogs", and they are the most numerous dogs in the world, far outnumbering pet dogs. If man were to disappear from his cities, towns, and villages, those dogs would not survive long after. But so long as mankind is around, there is enough for them to live on.
In a place like ME, where will dogs get water to drink. It gets hot, and there are hardly any trees for shelter.

Old 04-08-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
In a place like ME, where will dogs get water to drink. It gets hot, and there are hardly any trees for shelter.
That's probably one of the reasons that, if man disappeared, dogs would also vanish. They can survive, more or less on their own, so long as mankind still has communities where they can live on the fringe. Here's what you said:
Quote:
Dogs require human care. They are not cats. They cannot survive on their own.
The thing is, they don't require human care. Very few would survive if they had to go live as wolves do, but they don't. Most dogs in the world are village dogs, and they receive no direct human care. They live on the edges and in the spaces of human communities. Mankind needs water - and you won't find communities without it - so dogs have water too.

Old 04-08-2020, 03:02 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,600,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post

I agree and also do not feel we should be bringing in all these dogs from other countries to our country as different diseases also come with them and put our own dogs at risk. We need to work on our own problems of abused and homeless dogs instead of taking on the rest of the world's abused/homeless dogs. Despite living in CA my one dog, Texas Chaos is a rescue from a Texas shelter as if you can not find a dog in your local shelter that you want then look in other areas or even states as many do out of state adoptions no need to be adopting dogs from other countries.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:59 AM

30,574 posts, read 16,263,911 times
OP is 6 yrs old. Not sure if it's really current.

While I agree about adopting locally or at least in your native country, if you see a dog that you love, go for it.

Be aware tho' that some feral dogs, like some feral cats, are too far gone to be tamed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs