Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 04:15 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
The reviews aren't that great, I researched it.
Really. What lab did you do your research in?
It’s lifesaving for dogs with kidney disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Oh, here I found it

https://www.wildatheartpets.com/page...-feed-how-much

Bones should make about 10-15% of the diet and the meat 60-75%.

So bones even though my dog has teeth that are broken and damaged?
Do you not understand that dogs with kidney disease need special diets? Less protein, etc?

Eh, whatever.

My condolences on the loss of your dog.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:38 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Do you not understand that dogs with kidney disease need special diets? Less protein, etc?

Eh, whatever.

My condolences on the loss of your dog.
Please take your nastiness someplace else. Sorry that I don't like your dog food, my dog doesn't eat it anyway, I had it years ago, she's very picky.

I'm creating a recipe and and don't just add random stuff. My result has already been sent to a nutritionist for approval. I was hoping for a cheaper bill if I supply the basics and only need minor input. Unfortunately, there aren't any nutritionists around here where I can go to.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Please take your nastiness someplace else. Sorry that I don't like your dog food, my dog doesn't eat it anyway, I had it years ago, she's very picky.

I'm creating a recipe and and don't just add random stuff. My result has already been sent to a nutritionist for approval. I was hoping for a cheaper bill if I supply the basics and only need minor input. Unfortunately, there aren't any nutritionists around here where I can go to.
Your dog had kidney disease and ate prescription food years ago?
I’m not being nasty. You’re being foolish.

You need to keep the phosphorus and protein levels low. You simply can’t feed a dog with kidney problems a normal diet. You will seriously hurt your dog.
I had a dog die of kidney failure. It’s painful.
Please look at this link. Do a search about diets for kidney problems.
She is a vet and a REAL animal nutritionist.

https://www.petdiets.com/Ask-the-Nutritionist

Last edited by mistyriver; 07-01-2019 at 08:20 PM..

Old 07-01-2019, 08:18 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
High Protein Diet is Death to Kidneys! Your dog Needs a Special Diet. Low to Zero Protein. That means No Meat No Eggs Nothing with Protein in it. That list of No can also mean No to certain veggies.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:52 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
No high protein diet for kidney disease. I also had a dog with kidney failure. https://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2016/...should-i-feed/

Old 07-02-2019, 07:31 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,999,429 times
Quote:
Oh, here I found it

https://www.wildatheartpets.com/page...-feed-how-much

Bones should make about 10-15% of the diet and the meat 60-75%.

So bones even though my dog has teeth that are broken and damaged?
Yup, broken and damaged teeth will change the equation. I'm going to assume that your vet has seen the broken teeth, and you've discussed particular teeth with the vet. A broken tooth can break again, and that could be a problem. However, chewing on bones is still the best method for keeping the remaining teeth clean. My current two have congenitally missing teeth, and manage to chew just fine.

Those percentages are a bit higher than I would use, but that is typical of raw-feeding regimes. I have no bones with grain in the diet, even as a major portion. As I've mentioned, historically, both in recorded history, and in the archeological records, domestic dogs (who were fed*) were typically fed diets HIGH in grain, where grain was more of their diet than meat. That, of course, reflects somewhat on the relative scarcity of meat in agrarian societies.

The total weight of meat is about the same as what I include. About 60-75% of the food I cook, by original weight, is meat - but that includes the innards and the fat. Most of the rest by weight is rice or oatmeal, with some yam, then the veggies. By volume, when cooked, the grain is more like 50% or more - but that's because it now has all that water in it.

The other advice you are getting about the kidney issues should be heeded - but talk with your vet. You two will know how bad your dog's issues are.

The other advice is right about this much: you are dealing with a special case. Your dog has compromised teeth, kidney issues, and old age. I believe you are taking all this into consideration, and paying attention, but I would also be remiss to not speak clearly about the need for caution.

Regardless of all that, if you are replacing your previous diet with home-cooked, I am confident the dog is eating a better diet.

*Most dogs were historically village dogs, although it varied from culture to culture. Village dogs fended for themselves, typically scavenging from leftovers first. Valued dogs, for hunting, herding, or companionship, got fed.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Your dog had kidney disease and ate prescription food years ago?
I’m not being nasty. You’re being foolish.

You need to keep the phosphorus and protein levels low. You simply can’t feed a dog with kidney problems a normal diet. You will seriously hurt your dog.
I had a dog die of kidney failure. It’s painful.
Please look at this link. Do a search about diets for kidney problems.
She is a vet and a REAL animal nutritionist.

https://www.petdiets.com/Ask-the-Nutritionist
My dog has been healthy all her life. Until now. She is in perfect weight and condition. She looks like a puppy. Only I see that the back legs are a little wobbly. Her teeth have always been bad. The kidney is a surprise from last week, when I had her blood checked.

My vet did not find it necessary to tell me I need to change anything, he just said "she is old, what do you expect" and I was too shocked to respond to that. Once it settled, I got on the internet to research.

Just leave me alone, please.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
High Protein Diet is Death to Kidneys! Low to Zero Protein. That means No Meat No Eggs Nothing with Protein in it.
Uhm, no.

Last edited by oh-eve; 07-02-2019 at 07:57 AM..

Old 07-02-2019, 08:54 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
YES It IS! I lost a dog & my Mom to Kidney Failure! Its VERY Painful way to die. When my dog had it decades ago there was no special diets. I was given a list of foods Not to feed her. Was very short list ...she died a Painful death 3 months later. My mom lived on Dialysis for years Every time she ate some thing not on the list she was in the hospital a week! Once on the 4th of July the neighbor shared with all the neighbors watermelon.... mom hid inside they came and got her to join them she had1 bite of watermelon sent here to the hospital in ambulance! That bite sent her BUN thru the Roof!

"My vet did not find it necessary to tell me I need to change anything, he just said "she is old, what do you expect" and I was too shocked to respond to that. Once it settled, I got on the internet to research."

Sounds to me your vet telling you she dying & best to put her to sleep.... PLEASE Put her to sleep this is a Painful way to die!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs