Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 10:12 PM

2,068 posts, read 998,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I can't rep you again, but I want to wish you luck in changing the law! I long for the day that fireworks are illegal in every residential area everywhere, and it's actually enforced. I like your suggested $5000 fine and 6 months in jail. Fireworks in neighborhoods are reckless and dangerous and should not be tolerated.

I long for the day that DOGS are illegal in neighborhoods.

A $5000 fine for a load of **** in my front yard sounds like a good option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 12:54 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
I long for the day that DOGS are illegal in neighborhoods.

A $5000 fine for a load of **** in my front yard sounds like a good option.
In most places, it already is illegal for a dog to roam freely. Are you suggesting dogs should not be able to reside inside its owner's house or fenced yard? It shouldn't be allowed outside if it's barking and disturbing neighbors (because everyone deserves peace and quiet, free of barking dogs AND fireworks).

And I'm with you on the huge fine for dog crap. But that's a whole 'nuther thread topic.

I have no right to be a nuisance in any way to my neighbors, nor they to me. Would you agree?

Old 07-08-2019, 11:39 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I can't rep you again, but I want to wish you luck in changing the law! I long for the day that fireworks are illegal in every residential area everywhere, and it's actually enforced. I like your suggested $5000 fine and 6 months in jail. Fireworks in neighborhoods are reckless and dangerous and should not be tolerated.
Talked to one of my reps in the state legislature today, and I can submit my proposal anytime after September 15th.
That is when the current session ends.

Bob.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:42 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Some dogs have always been afraid of loud noises. I don't think it's anything new. Social media has helped highlight the issue of fireworks. More pets go missing on the 4th than any other time of the year. https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/health/prepared-pets-go-missing-july-4-5-day/http://

Personally, I'm glad the issue is being publicized. If it helps one person check their fencing, make sure their dog has tags or is chipped or bring the dog inside on the 4th that's a good thing. It helped one dog stay safe. The majority of dogs that get out don't make it back to their owners.

Shelters are already overwhelmed in the summer because people are dumping pets before they go on vacation. In Houston there was a 2 hour wait at one shelter to surrender an animal. https://www.thedodo.com/close-to-home/houston-animal-shelter-drowning-in-dumped-dogs

When dogs that are lost because of fireworks are added to the mix, it makes a bad situation worse.

Luckily my dogs aren't bothered by the noise. I can hear the fireworks that a local country club sets off in my house with the doors closed. The country club is probably 3-5 miles away. I have to say they did seem louder this year than in the past.

Fortunately, it's illegal in the city where I live for an individual to set off fireworks.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:08 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times
When we lived in Fullerton, Orange County, sleeping was near impossible on the 4th, at night, and the day before and after. Never mind the dogs, I mean me and the wife.

Up here in Paradise ALL FIREWORKS are strictly prohibited. Offenders know they could be arrested if they are lucky, or get shot if they are not.

We slept in peace, me, the wife, and the Airedale, not a sound, day or night.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:20 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Our dogs are "fine" -ish. They appear unbothered unless you know them, and then you can tell they are nervous. Not enough for a sedative, but enough where we gave them extra attention.

We had just had a huge thunder storm the night before which shook our house, so the fireworks were a step down.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-09-2019, 06:15 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
The fireworks in my town are set off on the outskirts of one of our fields and they hammer against the side of the house as though we are being bombed. But it's really the only time of the year anyone uses fireworks. It has just ticked me off when people use our very long driveway as their viewpoint. I don't know if they are locals or people who don't realise it's a private driveway. I always get the horses in before they start and in days past when Mister was alive, I'd take the dogs for a drive anywhere where there weren't fireworks with the radio turned up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs