Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 06:59 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,556 times

Advertisements

We've had plenty of dogs, but we have never had an in-ground swimming pool, and we have only ever taken our dogs swimming in lakes or the ocean. So, we've been pondering MAYBE having our next house have an in-ground pool -- something I have abhorred even the thought of until now. (This would not be in Chicago, where my location is listed on city-data, because we couldn't use it for a long enough season to make it worthwhile.)

I am thinking that dogs and a swimming pool could mix wonderfully, especially in a hot climate when it's hard to go for dog walks without overheating them for much of the (long) summer. I do know that not all dogs know how to swim (our chocolate Lab puppy did not, initially), and I know that there needs to be an exit from the water that they can manage. But assuming we take care of those things, can people please weigh in on the pros and cons of having your dogs use your backyard pool a lot? I can imagine the filtering system needs extra attention. What about dogs & pool chemicals? Bad? Okay?

I just have this fantasy of having a couple of water-loving dogs in a hot climate (as we did for a long time in Texas), and having an easy and fun way to splash and cool ourselves off and get them tired out without overheating them. But does it really work like that?

Thanks for any tips / insights you might have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 07:38 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
We have had inground swimming pools with five bichon dogs living in Houston and now Plano Texas. Our dogs do not swim but were all trained to do so by the breeder who sold us the last three. They go outside a few times a day to do their business or travel from the Master Bedroom wing to the FR/KIT etc wing of the house. No issues with them falling in it or going in intentionally. They have chased rabbits into the pool and trapped them there until we could reuse the rabbit. Our current thee are 5 lbs and 10 lbs in size and chase off mallard ducks who land in our pool while traveling north or south for the next season.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:49 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
My deerhound's brother drowned in a swimming pool with a cover. He went out onto the cover, it collapsed to dump him into the water and then closed over him.

I'd worry about the dog drinking the pool water chemicals. Maybe a dog wouldn't drink out of the pool if he had a steady supply of fresh cool water to use instead?

Dog can be trained to go to the steps to get out of the pool. Just like children, I wouldn't allow dogs to have access to the pool without adult supervision.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
My deerhound's brother drowned in a swimming pool with a cover. He went out onto the cover, it collapsed to dump him into the water and then closed over him.

I'd worry about the dog drinking the pool water chemicals. Maybe a dog wouldn't drink out of the pool if he had a steady supply of fresh cool water to use instead?

Dog can be trained to go to the steps to get out of the pool. Just like children, I wouldn't allow dogs to have access to the pool without adult supervision.
These are the sorts of cautionary tales I need to hear. The drowning accident sounds absolutely harrowing for the dog and the family. And yes, I definitely agree about the no-access-without-adult-supervision.

I think a dog would ingest a lot of pool water while playing, even if they're not drinking to abate thirst - they certainly do in lakes and ocean, and you need to be mindful of salt poisoning in the latter.

Hmmmmm....

Old 07-05-2019, 09:08 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
A couple of things come to mind.
Make sure the dog is fully oriented about how to get in and out...where the steps are.
My daughter had a pool for years and the dogs and kids had a wonderful time...no issues.
Many dogs have drowned in above ground pools because they couldn’t get out...but I don’t think you’re talking about above ground.

One very sad thing happened to my nieces little dog. It was obsessed with trying to catch the frogs that were constantly in the pool. It would spend hours running around the edge of the pool, sticking its head in the water, snapping at the frogs. The dog finally went blind because of the exposure to the pool chemicals. Obviously humans and dogs eyes are exposed to pool water all the time without any problem, but this was just an extreme case. Also, I’m not sure if this was a regular, or salt water pool.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
A couple of things come to mind.
Make sure the dog is fully oriented about how to get in and out...where the steps are.
My daughter had a pool for years and the dogs and kids had a wonderful time...no issues.
Many dogs have drowned in above ground pools because they couldn’t get out...but I don’t think you’re talking about above ground.

One very sad thing happened to my nieces little dog. It was obsessed with trying to catch the frogs that were constantly in the pool. It would spend hours running around the edge of the pool, sticking its head in the water, snapping at the frogs. The dog finally went blind because of the exposure to the pool chemicals. Obviously humans and dogs eyes are exposed to pool water all the time without any problem, but this was just an extreme case. Also, I’m not sure if this was a regular, or salt water pool.

That IS a very sad thing about the poor dog going blind, and again, the sort of thing that I need to hear so I can make a decision. Thank you for passing it along.

I would not do the whole dogs-and-pool thing without steps or a (non-slippery) incline that they'd been well-instructed about. I see some pools with only ladders for in and out, and that won't do. (We had one not-very-bright dog who DID have his head on straight about this one thing: He was always very cautious about making sure he saw a way to get out, before jumping in a stream or waterfall.)

Thank you all, again, for sharing your information.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:43 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
In answer to the OP'S post.
I am not doing this caps writing to yell at you, just using it for emphasis only.

DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT EVER CONSIDER PUTTING YOUR DOGS IN A POOL/ HOT TUB ETC, THAT HAS CHLORINE, OR BROMIDE IN IT, OR CHEMICAL SHOCK.
IF SWALLOWED , IT COULD BE TOXIC.
FOUR YEARS AGO, MY CURRENT SHEPHERD DEVELOPED A RASH THAT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO DIAGNOSE BY ANY PROFESSIONAL, OR TREAT.

I SPENT LITERALLY THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS ON VET BILLS, MEDICATION, SKIN BIOPSIES ETC, AND STILL THE RASH REMAINED.
THE ANSWER CAME TO ME ONE EVENING WHILE I WAS IN MY HOT TUB.
MY ARMS AND NECK BEGAN TO FEEL IRRITATED, LIKE THEY WERE BURNING.
I HAD EARLIER ADDED CHLORINE TO THE WATER.

MY HOT TUB IS SUNK INTO A RAISED DECK, AND WHEN THE JETS WERE ACTIVATED, THE SPILLAGE LANDED ON THE GROUND BELOW THE DECK.
THE DOG WOULD GO UNDER THE DECK, AND THAT WAS HOW HE WAS CONTACTING THE RASH, BY WALKING IN THE WATER THAT HAS CHLORINE IN IT.
THE RASH ALWAYS STARTED ON HIS FEET, HE WOULD LICK THEM, AND SPREAD THE RASH TO OTHER PARTS OF HIS BODY.

I EMPTIED THE HOT TUB, IT STAYED UN USED FOR 4 MONTHS.
I REPLACED ALL OF THE DIRT BELOW THE DECK, AND FOUND NON-CHEMICAL PRODUCTS FOR THE WATER.
THE SHEPHERD HAS BEEN RASH FREE FOR ALMOST A YEAR NOW.

AGAIN, NEVER EVER THINK ABOUT HAVING YOUR DOG(S) ANYWHERE NEAR A POOL/HOT TUB IF YO ARE USING CHEMICALS TO FILTER THE WATER.

IN MY RESEARCH FOR NEW PRODUCTS FOR THE HOT TUB, I ALSO LEARNED CHLORINE IS VERY BAD FOR HUMANS AS WELL.
CHLORINE IN POOLS/HOT TUBS, LETS OF A GAS THAT IS NOT GOOD FOR THE LUNGS.

BOB.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:21 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
My parents had an inground pool most of their dogs did not swim in it but my old dog Dash did. He would race out the pet door and dive right in when we would visit. Of course as I would be getting ready to go home he would go jump in the pool so I would have a wet dog in my car. My other dog Jazz could entertain herself for hours by dropping a ball or other toy that would float in the pool or better yet getting someone to toss it in then she would work at getting it back out so she could do it again. Phoenix and Dazzle both fell in and after that stayed a good 2 feet away from the pool.

I would say if you have a pool and dogs it is important that you teach them where the steps are so they can get out on their own. I have a friend in Phoenix that owns and also fosters deaf and or blind aussies and that is one of the things they teach the dogs is how to get out of the pool as many of hers have enjoyed swimming to cool off. On the flip side I have a co worker that has a pool and her dog either jumped in or fell in and drowned so there is a risk.

My brother had a pool and he had English bulldogs which tend to sink because they are so heavy in the front end so they put a very low fence that people could step over to keep the dogs out of that side of the yard, The bullies were unable to jump over it once again because they were so heavy on the front end so jumping things was difficult for them.

Having grown up with the pool I can say they are expensive and require a lot of maintenance thus I myself have never been interested in owning one.

My late Jazz doing her favorite thing getting a toy out of the pool, she would not jump into get it but hung over the edge and pawed the water and raced around the pool as the toy circulated around the pool due to the pool pump it could take a few minutes to get it or 1/2 hr but she never gave up. Later she learned how to use a hula hoop or a stick to get the toys out! She was a very smart dog and loved to figure things out and had seen me get a toy out that way so she started doing it herself! ( and they use to say only humans use tools!)

Old 07-06-2019, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post

Having grown up with the pool I can say they are expensive and require a lot of maintenance thus I myself have never been interested in owning one.

I am really appreciating all of the feedback, and I love the stories and photo, too. Thank you so much.

The quoted part above has always been my gut reaction to pools, even though I have never had one. Whenever I see one in a real estate listing, I just say, "nope," and click on past it. I posted this question to see if the dog-centric benefits might outweigh the expense and hassle, and I'm starting to think the answer is No. I am already too good at worrying, and the various injuries and drowning deaths I'm reading about ... I don't know if my nerves could take it!

Old 07-06-2019, 06:53 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
I am really appreciating all of the feedback, and I love the stories and photo, too. Thank you so much.

The quoted part above has always been my gut reaction to pools, even though I have never had one. Whenever I see one in a real estate listing, I just say, "nope," and click on past it. I posted this question to see if the dog-centric benefits might outweigh the expense and hassle, and I'm starting to think the answer is No. I am already too good at worrying, and the various injuries and drowning deaths I'm reading about ... I don't know if my nerves could take it!
Did you say where you are moving, or how old you are, OP? I have never had a pool, but now that I live in coastal GA, where it is so hot in the summer that we stay in most of the time, I think we would really enjoy it. We are retired, but still capable of maintaining it, and we have a fenced yard, so no worries about safety or privacy. Also, swimming is a good low stress exercise for older people.

I guess my point is to keep an open mind on your current situation, and judge any pool on its own merits.

Does the climate warrant having it?
Is the pool in good condition?
Is the pool configured to be dog safe?
Is there enough privacy so you don’t have to worry about how you look to use it?
Does the pool leave enough space in the yard for the other things you want to do in the yard, like gardening or grilling, or a fire pit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs