Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 06:47 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times

Advertisements

So I'm at work yesterday, a grocery store. A cashier announces that there's a dog in the store. I turn toward the direction she's looking and the dog runs right up to me!!

Luckily he was wearing tags, called the vet clinic and gave them the Rabies tag number and asked they call the owner to let them know the dog's location.

Sure enough the owner was in the store My car read the temperature as 90 plus just minutes before. "I had the window down" Duh!! Dog was smart enough to find cooler temps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 10:15 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Sad summer days for my dogs because they must stay home if I intend to stop anywhere that they can't go inside with me.

No amount of "sad dog eyes" can overcome the thermometer reading.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:26 AM

1,558 posts, read 1,048,631 times
What do others do when traveling long distances in the summer with dogs in the car?

Old 07-13-2019, 11:05 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
What do others do when traveling long distances in the summer with dogs in the car?
I'm actually going to use part of my bonus this year to get a full kit of equipment to make it possible to travel with my dogs in the car in heat. Battery operated fans, reflective blankets, cooling mats and vests... A lot of people crate in the car at dog events pretty safely, even in summer - you just have to keep checking on them (and it's hard to forget to do that when everyone is doing it all around you). I'm getting this stuff so everyone is comfortable and I can try out more events that are outdoors in summertime. In Colorado, the intensity of the sun can kill your desire to do dog sports. :/

Old 07-13-2019, 11:07 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
We can lock our car and leave it running with the AC on.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-13-2019, 11:29 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
When ever we went any where with dogs I carry Gallon jugs for Frozen water! When hot they lay against it when thirsty the Drink it. I also attach Battery operated Fans to cages. Place the ice jugs behind the fan. Like a swap cooler on the go.

Look what I found!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1a55WBBT_k

Old 07-13-2019, 11:44 AM

1,558 posts, read 1,048,631 times
Some good suggestions here. I'm going to look into the fans. I'm always afraid to leave the car running with the AC on. My car is one that the door unlocks if the key is close by, so if I leave my extra key inside, would that not cause the door to remain unlocked?

I've read that if you do leave the car with AC running, you should put a sign in the window to that effect so that it doesn't appear that dogs are locked in a hot car.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:33 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,304 times
Quote:

A few years ago I drove 1700 miles each way on a road trip in July. To Oklahoma. With my two senior dogs. Some days were 100+ degrees. I just never left the car for more than the time it took to run to a bathroom unless I could take them out with me and always parked in the shade with windows partly down. Cuts down on some options for eating and sightseeing but it is doable.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:34 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,973 times
You just can’t fix stupid

Glad the critter did not die

Old 07-13-2019, 02:58 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
When ever we went any where with dogs I carry Gallon jugs for Frozen water! When hot they lay against it when thirsty the Drink it. I also attach Battery operated Fans to cages. Place the ice jugs behind the fan. Like a swap cooler on the go.

Look what I found!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1a55WBBT_k

Interesting. Only suited fir low humidity environments per the video.

I saw them in the back isle in Wal Mart after you check out. In with All the odd ball stuff they have I never paid mind to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs