Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 09:26 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times

Advertisements

If you can not make the litter pan out of the dog's reach, then do NOT use clumping litter. Clumping litter will also clump in the dog's gut!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 09:33 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Dogs are disgusting, vile creatures. Remember, you are dealing with an animal a half step removed from the wild. In fact, many can and do revert back to being wild, and in some places packs of formerly domesticated feral dogs do roam. I never let any of my dogs on the bed, or on furniture considering where their paws, mouths and butts have been.

All that being said they are great pets, friends and family members. Yes, some do eat the cat poop and their own poop. I put a cover on the litter box, and place it so only the cat could get to it. Problem solved. My dog NEVER ate his own poop, but I would clean it up immediately.
Yep. This.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:49 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Here is an informative website for the problem of "coprophagia". At the age your dog is, he may not 'grow out of it'. I had a beautiful show quality dog who did that, and it was disgusting to me (I never knew such a condition even existed.) My cat's litter box was in the bathroom off the master bedroom and she was meticulous about her 'area'. So eventually I got the idea to put a chain lock on the inside of that bathroom door and allow just enough room for the kitty to get in and out of there, and for me to put my hand in and unlock the chain. Problem solved??? Nope. Well, the otherwise sweet dog would try to bang that door open -- ruining the moulding, and once pulled the chain right off the door.

I had to re-home him to a family who were breeders of that breed (free to good home of course); and it broke my heart. I haven't had a dog since; now only kitties who have all lived to a ripe old age; and my current shelter kitty who is approx. 3 yrs. old and just as sweet and lovey as could be. And incredibly clean habits.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-p...ms-coprophagia

Old 08-05-2019, 09:19 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
I've never found anything that will keep a dog out of a cat's litter box except making the litter box inaccessible to the dog.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:35 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,912,638 times
We had a small dog years go who really went for good poop.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:58 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,912,638 times
That should be goose poop. Our little dog loved goose poop. Although, yes, she did think it was good goose poop.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:08 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
My sister keeps her litter box in a bedroom and has a gate with a small door, big enough for just the cat.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-11-2019, 11:12 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,173,683 times
First off, never let your dog eat poop of any sort. Good way to spread disease and worms! So if you have a habitual offender that you can't seem to break any other way, the problem is easily solved with an electronic collar. While I know many people hate them, there are times, especially when the dog's health and safety are at risk, they are very effective.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:30 AM

19,750 posts, read 22,654,259 times
I watched something funny this morning.

My cat Gretl was outside and over on my neighbors patch of earth ( we all have acreage). She furiously dug in a patch of bare ground, then squatted, and dutifully buried her deposit.

About 1/2 hour later my neighbors black lab Honcho was walking around, caught wind of her deposit, dug it up and ate it.

Was kinda funny to see it happens outdoors and not just in a litter box, lol.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:35 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
We had a small dog years go who really went for good poop.
There's a great line in the movie "The Patriot" where Mel Gibson proclaims "Dog is a fine meal". Well to dogs, Poop is a fine meal! Yuck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs