Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2019, 10:44 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,474,655 times

Advertisements

My dog needs to take Tylan power (vs Metro) when she eats so 2 or 3 times a day
It has a bitter flavor apparently and maybe even a smell — although not to me...
I was putting it in a piece of her canned RX food and making a ball w/power inside so hopefully she would eat it before she knew what it was
That isn’t working anymore

She takes 1/16 tsp at a time
Any idea what sz capsule that would fit?
She is 16 lb min schnauzer so not a large dog and the portion of Tylan is not large
Looked online but most of the info seemed about weight— like grams of powder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 12:25 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,630,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
My dog needs to take Tylan power (vs Metro) when she eats so 2 or 3 times a day
It has a bitter flavor apparently and maybe even a smell — although not to me...
I was putting it in a piece of her canned RX food and making a ball w/power inside so hopefully she would eat it before she knew what it was
That isn’t working anymore

She takes 1/16 tsp at a time
Any idea what sz capsule that would fit?
She is 16 lb min schnauzer so not a large dog and the portion of Tylan is not large
Looked online but most of the info seemed about weight— like grams of powder
I don't know what size capsule she would require, but have you tried mixing the powder with maybe a teaspoon of Hill's Prescription Diet a/d Urgent Care?

It that doesn't work, maybe you could place the capsule, once you decide on the right size, onto a teaspoon and cover it with the Hill's. Of course, check with your vet to see if it would be okay given her medical situation.

Hill's Prescription Diet a/d Urgent Care with Chicken Canned Dog & Cat Food, 5.5-oz, case of 24
https://www.chewy.com/hills-prescrip...-care/dp/54659

You might be able to purchase just a few cans, instead of a case, from your vet.

My 65 pound dog is on a very strict diet since she has Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI). So, no pill pockets for her whenever she needs to take antibiotics. She had a UTI not long ago, and the only way that she would take her stinky antibiotic pill was when it was covered with the a/d Urgent Care.

I have to add, though, that she is always willing, when necessary, to take her Taylan powder thoroughly mixed in with her RX food.

If all else fails, you might want to try mixing the Taylan powder with a small amount of her food, adding water, and then delivering it via oral syringe.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:40 PM

32,480 posts, read 47,405,393 times
If my dogs have to take Tylan, I mix it with a little bit of butter and they take it just fine.

Take three little dabs of butter with the meds in the second one. Let them take one dab and think about it. Then offer the second dab with the third dab immediately following. The dog will gulp down the dab with medication in a hurry to get the third dab.

Your local pharmacist can sell you empty dissolving capsules. Just tell him it is for 1/16 of a teaspoon and he will know what size you need.

Let me warn you, though. It is a lot easier to take the powder out of a capsule than it is to put powder into a capsule.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 09-02-2019 at 08:58 PM..

Old 09-02-2019, 11:21 PM

13,908 posts, read 39,079,600 times
IF it mixes with water do that & use a Needleless Syringe to put it in the back of her mouth.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:50 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,474,655 times
It would be sz 3 capsule probably but she has gotten better about taking it rolled in small portion of her canned food...

My dog has pancreatitis which I didn’t mention but giving her butter would not be appropriate

I think the flavor is bitter enough that adding it to water and giving with syringe could make her cough and aspirate...I don’t know how much it would take to dissolve it completely...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs