Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 08:17 AM

58 posts, read 331,884 times

Advertisements

We have a MinPin (Male) that is 2 1/2 years old (Levi) and a Dauschund (Female) that is 1 1/2 (Paris)

Well, we bought Paris when she was already 5 months old and it was only a matter of months before she went in to heat. Levi was not fixed because the original plan was to buy a female min pin and raise her so that eventually they would have AKC registered babies. Both our dogs have papers.

The first time Paris went in to heat we tried and tried to keep them seperated but they ended up hooked anyways but she never got pregnant......hmm well like a month or so later she was already in heat again and I didn't even see it coming until I caught them. (My husband refused to get Paris fixed because he wanted to raise dauschunds too.) 2 months later we have 5 little Doxie-Pins which is a Hybrid breed to my surprise, I had no idea.

EVERYONE wanted one. We sold them for $150 a piece and we kept one. She is now 12 weeks old and she is just the love of my life right now. Sometimes good things come from things you dont want but at the same time Im not sure how I feel about all these "mixes" It seems like the world has gone mad trying to manipulate things to grow how they want no matter what the consequences. Is this good? Is this Bad? I Love my puppy to no end but over all, in general should this keep on? We already have requests for more puppies and at 150 a pop why not right? I'm just curious as to what some other thoughts are on this.

I'll post a pic of London our Doxie-Pin puppy on the picture thread

Old 04-17-2008, 08:22 AM

Default London

Never mind I'll just put it here

How cute is That???
Attached Thumbnails
Doxie-Pins And Other Hybrids-dscf0073.jpg   Doxie-Pins And Other Hybrids-038.jpg  

Old 04-17-2008, 08:22 AM

960 posts, read 1,677,052 times
You want approval for being a backyard breeder.
Well...you won't get it here.

Thousands upon thousands of dogs are killed each day because they don't have a home. Keep it up and you will be sending more dogs to their deaths.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
You want approval for being a backyard breeder.
Well...you won't get it here.

Thousands upon thousands of dogs are killed each day because they don't have a home. Keep it up and you will be sending more dogs to their deaths.

Im not asking for your approval. Im an adult and could care less if you approve or not. The fact of the matter is it happened. Its done. Why would I have spent hundreds of dollars on registered dogs if I wanted mix breeds?

Sending more dogs to their deaths?? Did you read the post at all? We sold all of the dogs and have REQUESTS from half a dozen people for one of their own.

Point being I asked for "thoughts" on the subject. Thank you for your thoughts.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:00 AM

960 posts, read 1,677,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy08 View Post
I Love my puppy to no end but over all, in general should this keep on? We already have requests for more puppies and at 150 a pop why not right? I'm just curious as to what some other thoughts are on this.
You asked the questions...I gave you my thoughts.
You're a backyard breeder, and I would say the same thing to any backyard breeder whether it's lab/chow mixes they were producing.

There have been several threads discussing "designer" breeds. Perhaps you should read them.

Best of luck to your dogs.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:09 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,361,613 times
I think the point he (she) is trying to make is that people who just let dogs mate and sell the pups are not adding anything to the standard, especially when youre selling hybrids, or mutts as they really are. Many people by the mutts because its fashionable, but when they get home and the dogs dont teach themselves to potty train, or eat the couch the go straight to shelters.

Quote:
We already have requests for more puppies and at 150 a pop why not right?
I think thats what makes me say why ? As for the reasons above. I have friends were are breeders, its a full time, very consuming job and not something you do just for the quick $150. My friend bred purebreds and told me "If you make big profits youre doing it wrong".

Old 04-17-2008, 09:17 AM

5,323 posts, read 18,211,464 times
Glad you enjoy what you have. I'm not out to attack you, however there is no way I'd pay $150 for a mutt when all of the shelters across this Nation are loaded with them.

From breeders with high standards I've been told you never breed the female until she's at least two years old and most certainly don't breed her every year.

As for AKC and I might get my hands slapped for this, it's nothing but a census. That don't follow up on anything. I know a person who tried for kicks to see if he could get his Lab mixed registered, it worked. You wrte some things on the paperwork, give them money and voila you have a registered dog.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I think the point he (she) is trying to make is that people who just let dogs mate and sell the pups are not adding anything to the standard, especially when youre selling hybrids, or mutts as they really are. Many people by the mutts because its fashionable, but when they get home and the dogs dont teach themselves to potty train, or eat the couch the go straight to shelters.

I think thats what makes me say why ? As for the reasons above. I have friends were are breeders, its a full time, very consuming job and not something you do just for the quick $150. My friend bred purebreds and told me "If you make big profits youre doing it wrong".
Originally we were going to give the dogs away, but after friends and family etc. started seeing the puppies we had over 20 people wanting them. I wasn't about to start "picking and choosing" over friends and so we decided if we sold them than the people who actually wanted them and would take care of them would be willing to pay for them. That way it would weed out any friends just saying oh "I want it" and then the puppies were not taken care of. I actually didn't set the price on them, that was the first offer for one and it stuck.

I spent a lot of time and effort on getting these puppies to the age of being sold and I would want someone else to do the same. It IS wrong if it is just for profit. Not that it is any ones business but to set things straight half the money was put in to my childrens savings account and the other half was split between them to buy whatever they wanted. Which ended up being an X-Box so they had to add the money back together. I believe the way I talked about the money came across wrong.

My question was not actually if I should keep doing it, Personally I believe that It shouldn't be done. But are these mutts as they are called any less of a dog? Does it really change anything about the dogs quality? In the beginning there were not breeds, just dogs and humans manipulated them to be what they wanted just as they are still doing today. So in the end who decides whats a breed and whats a mutt really?

Old 04-17-2008, 09:49 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,361,613 times
Just figured by
Quote:
I Love my puppy to no end but over all, in general should this keep on? We already have requests for more puppies and at 150 a pop why not right? I'm just curious as to what some other thoughts are on this.
that meant you were gonna breed again ?
They are no less of a dog, but you cant really say anything about the dogs quality, because its not from a pure bloodline and has history and whatnot.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:50 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,297,050 times
As far as I am concerned, you should not breed any dogs until you can get tests done to certify that they are free of certain potentially deadly diseases that they can pass on to their offspring. I have heard some horror stories about people getting dogs from breeders that do not do this - usually ending with severe impairment or death for the dog. It is not a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs