Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 01:01 PM

177 posts, read 130,363 times

Advertisements

So sorry for the loss of your dog. I can relate as we lost one of ours last year, leaving us with just our 10 year old Westie. Originally hubby and I said "no more dogs" as the heartbreak when we lose one is hard to bear. But a few months after we lost our girl to bladder cancer we were outside talking to our neighbor and her friend. The friend said that her neighbor just passed away that morning and they had a golden retriever that needed a home. At first I was hesitant, but my husband really wanted to go see him (he loves goldens and has had many over the years). He brought him home and we are one happy dog family again! I think things happen for a reason (this dog needed a loving home) and he came to us.

Just go with your gut. You will know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 01:11 PM

7,090 posts, read 4,526,537 times
We usually get another really fast. So many dogs need good homes.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:36 PM

520 posts, read 3,920,380 times
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful suggestions and sharing your stories.

I just want to make sure that whatever we decide, we go about the right away, if you will.
By that I mean not make an impulse decision.

Our dog right now, is lonely, that I can tell.
He's eating fine.
Just isn't playing like he used to.
He'll play then stop and look at the stairs waiting to see if Chuey coming down the stairs and join the fun.

I know that if we do decide to get another dog, it won't be any time soon.
I'm thinking maybe December, I dunno... maybe I won't be able to wait that long, LOL.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:09 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful suggestions and sharing your stories.

I just want to make sure that whatever we decide, we go about the right away, if you will.
By that I mean not make an impulse decision.

Our dog right now, is lonely, that I can tell.
He's eating fine.
Just isn't playing like he used to.
He'll play then stop and look at the stairs waiting to see if Chuey coming down the stairs and join the fun.

I know that if we do decide to get another dog, it won't be any time soon.
I'm thinking maybe December, I dunno... maybe I won't be able to wait that long, LOL.
Do you arrange play dates with other dogs?

Might be a good idea to introduce your lonely dog to potential new dogs before deciding...

When we brought home Finn, the corgi...even after taking our golden Jessie to the farm where the corgis were bred and she was excited .....when we came home with the pup, Jess was all WTF,mom.

She was not happy. It took a lot of time for them to be buds.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:59 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,588,900 times
last spring I lost both of my 15 year old dogs within the span of about 6 weeks. I had not planned to get another dog after they were gone. Well about 2 weeks after the first one passed I realised that life with no dog in the house was not going to be okay for me. I sort of thought my second dog would be with me another year or so as she was still enjoying long walks and seemed in great health. Well one day I spotted a dog on a Facebook rescue page and I could not stop thinking about him, so a few weeks later he came home to stay and I adopted 10 year old Kyoshi. A week to the day after his adoption my second old girl died quite suddenly. I think she just really missed her friend. They ahd been together their entire lives.

He does not mind being an only dog and I was not going to get a second until in recent days his age has started to really show and it again occurred to me that no dogs in the house was going to be a problem for me. All of my friends agreed that I am a person who really needs a dog an encouraged me to get another dog soon. So I started looking for another dog to be a companion for both of us. A younger dog this time so I will at least not face the prospect of losing tow so close together.

A week ago I spotted another Facebook post and just knew this was the dog. The adoption process was pretty quick although there was some real effort to get the new one here from a rescue about 600 miles away. Thanks to a wonderful organization called Pilots and Paws and a long drive in the mountains for me. My new boy Suke came home on Tuesday. He is just perfect.

Like others have said you need to do what feels right to you. For some people it is a day or two and for some it might be years. Getting a new dog does not take away anything from the love you had with the dog you lost. It does give a wonderful home to an animal in need and with so much to offer it would be a shame to not give another dog a chance.

Be careful of looking for a dog that seems to be just like your old dog. It isn't fair to either of you.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:43 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,021,108 times
We had to have one of our 2 dogs put to sleep last June. I miss her like crazy. She leaves behind our other dog, Jake. Jake is about 14 yr. old. Quite the elderly gentleman.

I want another dog soooo bad, but I have somewhat narrow parameters. Must be female, and I don't want a puppy. I want a young adult female. 5 yrs or less. On the smaller side would be better than on the larger side. And...I want a rescue. I can't see the value of paying big money for a dog, when there are so many rescue dogs out there.

But on the other hand, I'd kind of like a shih Tzu/chichuahua mix. I had the accidental pleasure of meeting one, and thought "this is the perfect dog." lol

Old 09-17-2019, 02:42 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,863,133 times
Ah, just had my sweet pooch put to sleep last Thursday, so I can relate. She had a very virulent form of cancer; it was taking her so quickly. She was the cuddly one. I keep thinking I see her out of the corner of my eye when at home.

Our other sweet dog doesn't seem to miss her at all! It's a big surprise to me.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:44 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,047,879 times
I agree with those who have said that you will know when the time is right. For us, it has been around 5 months between the death of one and acquiring another.

I think the best way of honoring a beloved dog's memory is to provide a home for a dog in need.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:32 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,863,133 times
As others have said, there's no right or wrong here. The best way to honor your dog's memory is what feels best for you. That's all that matters right now. Be kind to yourself as you deal with the grief. Best wishes.

Old 09-18-2019, 03:35 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,308 times
My concern is when I start losing a dog... and know that I probably won’t be able to get another golden - they are A LOT of work and energy - it will destroy me.

Our golden turns 6 years old in a week. I want her around for at least another 6 years....

Our corgi is 2.5. He will probably live forever.

They are two totally different breeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs