Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 11:45 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
There ya go. Sounds like that old "alpha" routine again.

I have a few thoughts. My FIRST thought is that you should take the dog back. This just isn't working.

My 2nd thought is based on your recent reply - this person who is advising you may be experienced with Chihuahuas, but they are not the trainer you need for this job.

My next thought: if you really insist on keeping this dog in spite of the issues, you should try positive training methods for dealing with fear aggression. Here are some links to books and columns on the topic. I particularly like the Debbie Jacobs and Patricia McConnell books, btw.

My 3 Favorite Books About Training Shy and Fearful Dogs
https://fearfuldogs.com/books-to-help-fearful-dogs/
https://positively.com/contributors/...a-fearful-dog/
https://www.dogtrainingnation.com/do...ful-dog-books/

Personally, I tend not to like Chihuahuas, because, in my experience, they often have aggression issues. Including biting. So I'd be likely to take the dog back to the rescue. But you are not me, so I will wish you luck. Do spend some time with at least a couple of the book offerings I've linked. The authors are well known and have good reputations for their knowledge of training and behavior.

I totally agree with Hiero. But I would return the dog, after 2 1/2 years of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 01:02 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I wouldn’t let him out without a muzzle. Nobody wants to be bitten by a dog. It could also mean a lawsuit down the line.
BLOODY HELL!!! He wouldn't be inside without a muzzle. That number of attacks is a major problem.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:31 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Wow! I've been in the animal industry for decades and this method is about as old as I am, I was born in the 60's

A trainer is someone you're hiring for a job. My suggestion is you either hire a reputable trainer of take the dog back with giving information of it's behavior issues fully disclosed!

LOL! It's OLDER than you - I was taught it in the fifties!

Old 09-27-2019, 08:47 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times
luckygirl15, I don’t know if you’re still reading here, but I agree with those who say, find another trainer. I have a rescued Doberman with all sorts of issues, one being extreme anxiety when on walks. She barks & lunges. It was recommended to take her to group sessions with a local trainer who is highly thought of. The trainer wanted me to buy a dowel (rounded stick) and hit my dog across the nose with it, and also to put an ammonia mixture in a squirt bottle and spray her in the face! What? I actually did the dowel thing once, it certainly didn’t improve the situation, and I was so upset with myself that I broke the thing over my knee and threw it in the bushes. My point is, maybe the trainer you go to is good for another dog, but not for yours.

Have you considered medication? I’m generally anti-meds, but my dog sees a very old-school, experienced vet who is not into gimmicks or selling a lot of unnecessary stuff. She recommended Prozac for my Dobie. I was dubious, but I trust this vet. My dog has taken Prozac for a year and it has helped her anxiety.

Also, I agree with the idea of a muzzle when you’re out. Your dog sounds very unpredictable, and you don’t want the liability if he bites someone. Lots of times, little kids will run up on dogs and startle them. Be sure that it’s a basket muzzle, not one of those velcro things. I have a basket muzzle for my Dobie, she can pant, drink water, eat treats with it on.

Best of luck. I know what it’s like to love a difficult dog with issues.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:14 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
luckygirl15, I don’t know if you’re still reading here, but I agree with those who say, find another trainer. I have a rescued Doberman with all sorts of issues, one being extreme anxiety when on walks. She barks & lunges. It was recommended to take her to group sessions with a local trainer who is highly thought of. The trainer wanted me to buy a dowel (rounded stick) and hit my dog across the nose with it, and also to put an ammonia mixture in a squirt bottle and spray her in the face! What? I actually did the dowel thing once, it certainly didn’t improve the situation, and I was so upset with myself that I broke the thing over my knee and threw it in the bushes. My point is, maybe the trainer you go to is good for another dog, but not for yours.

Have you considered medication? I’m generally anti-meds, but my dog sees a very old-school, experienced vet who is not into gimmicks or selling a lot of unnecessary stuff. She recommended Prozac for my Dobie. I was dubious, but I trust this vet. My dog has taken Prozac for a year and it has helped her anxiety.

Also, I agree with the idea of a muzzle when you’re out. Your dog sounds very unpredictable, and you don’t want the liability if he bites someone. Lots of times, little kids will run up on dogs and startle them. Be sure that it’s a basket muzzle, not one of those velcro things. I have a basket muzzle for my Dobie, she can pant, drink water, eat treats with it on.

Best of luck. I know what it’s like to love a difficult dog with issues.
Actually meds can do great things. They can calm the dog down enough to make them realize the things they were scared of were not the threats they originally thought and that behavior can stay after they are taken off the meds. This dog seems EXTREMELY anxious.

OP, you need a new trainer. This one is giving you advice that will make the dog worse. TBH, I think this was probably not a big deal in the beginning but now it is an ingrained problem. I would either get a positive-only trainer at this point or take him back to the rescue.

From my perspective, the best advice I can give is that you train the dog some tricks (hand touches, give paw, down, sit, roll over) until they are SOLID and then ask for those behaviors when he is getting overstimulated (but before he is over threshold). Keep plenty of itty bitty tiny treats on hand to reward with. But first, he needs to feel safe. You're not doing that for him with the methods you're using.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:09 AM

768 posts, read 858,141 times
Why in heck would you even want to keep an animal that bites you? Makes no sense when there are so many kind animals who need a home. How do you suppose this jerk of a dog got into rescue in the first place? Check with a vet....most bites are from small dogs...

Old 09-29-2019, 08:29 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Has the dog had a good physical? We had a terrier mix who suddenly started attacking my other dog for no apparent reason. The vet said it was probably a tumor or other brain issue.

Please do not strike your dog, or any other animal. It will only make the problem worse and teach them not to trust you.

When my cat was young he used to play bite a bit too hard so I would pull my hand back while yelping like I had been severely injured. He soon understand that he was hurting me, which he was not, but I didn't want him to go down that path so he learned to be gentle. What a sweet boy he still is today! Trust is earned with a gentle hand.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:06 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,381,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
There ya go. Sounds like that old "alpha" routine again.

I have a few thoughts. My FIRST thought is that you should take the dog back. This just isn't working.

My 2nd thought is based on your recent reply - this person who is advising you may be experienced with Chihuahuas, but they are not the trainer you need for this job.

My next thought: if you really insist on keeping this dog in spite of the issues, you should try positive training methods for dealing with fear aggression. Here are some links to books and columns on the topic. I particularly like the Debbie Jacobs and Patricia McConnell books, btw.

My 3 Favorite Books About Training Shy and Fearful Dogs
https://fearfuldogs.com/books-to-help-fearful-dogs/
https://positively.com/contributors/...a-fearful-dog/
https://www.dogtrainingnation.com/do...ful-dog-books/

Personally, I tend not to like Chihuahuas, because, in my experience, they often have aggression issues. Including biting. So I'd be likely to take the dog back to the rescue. But you are not me, so I will wish you luck. Do spend some time with at least a couple of the book offerings I've linked. The authors are well known and have good reputations for their knowledge of training and behavior.
I think this is probably (imo) the best response, although there are many good ones. I learned several years ago (firsthand experience) that slapping, hitting, or otherwise threatening a dog who is in an anger/fear-driven/aggressive mode does nothing but reinforce their behaviour. Reacting with heavy-handed, threatening gestures only makes a bad problem worse. Whatever trainer suggested this, or anything like it, needs to be ditched. IMMEDIATELY. (And I'd let others know that this trainer does this, if at all possible.)

I've not had any experience with chihuahuas, but if you can find a trainer who has, and who enlists positive, rather than negative alpha methods, I'd definitely go that route. Otherwise, all I can say is, hiero made some really good suggestions. I hope you're able to find a positive solution.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:07 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,381,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Has the dog had a good physical? We had a terrier mix who suddenly started attacking my other dog for no apparent reason. The vet said it was probably a tumor or other brain issue.

Please do not strike your dog, or any other animal. It will only make the problem worse and teach them not to trust you.

When my cat was young he used to play bite a bit too hard so I would pull my hand back while yelping like I had been severely injured. He soon understand that he was hurting me, which he was not, but I didn't want him to go down that path so he learned to be gentle. What a sweet boy he still is today! Trust is earned with a gentle hand.
Absolutely agree.

Old 09-30-2019, 03:44 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
I agree do not be afraid to get rid of a trainer and get a new one if you do not agree with what they are telling you to do. Years ago with Jazz who was fearful and reactive I had several trainers wanting me to alpha roll her or do equally as crazy things that just did not sound right to me. She trusted me and saw me as her safe thing if I started doing the nonsense they suggested she would start to fear me as she would be anxious about what she was afraid about but at the same time get anxious thinking if I tell that dog to go away by barking my owner is going to freak out and flip me on my back and that frightens me too and thus be twice as anxious. So I told them I did not agree with their suggestions and looked for help else where. No regrets about it as I had her 14.5 yrs and had a very special bond with her.

I have to wonder if a previous owner thought that aggressive behavior was funny as way too often I see little dogs in videos acting aggressive as a hand moves towards them etc and everyone laughing as they think it is funny to see a little dog acting tough. It turns my stomach when I see that as they are teaching that behavior then when they get tired of it will dump the dog and some kind hearted soul will adopt it and end up with issues like you are having. People need to stop sharing those videos as they just are not funny, as no aggressive dog is funny does not matter if they are the worlds smallest dog still not funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs