Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 05:08 PM

98 posts, read 91,227 times

Advertisements

Its been happening for years in my neighborhood, after I back out of my driveway with my car and reach the last house on the street the neighbor is standing still either on his front lawn or on the sidewalk always around the same area as he holds his dog on a leash, and as I pass by to stop at stop sign the dog viciously barks and lunges at me while im in my car like he wants to attack me as that neighbor remains still and often stares at me. NOTHING I done on my part to deserve such a vicious reaction but its reaching the point that its really really bothering me like its harrassment. This happens on average once every month or 2 as I drive by there almost every day or every 2 or 3 days so it seems that neighbor often brings his dog out to the front to let the dog do his business and I happen to pass by at that time by chance.

I understand im in my car and that dog can't hurt me physically (unless he gets loose from the leash and attacks my tires) but its the fact that it happened around 15 times so far over the years and hes hurting me mentally like a mind disturbance to the point that I want to turn my car around so I don't have to be a subject to this which is my very right.

I know there are laws that if a dog is proven to be vicious he must be kept in a 5 or 6 foot fenced in area. Are there laws that dont allow a vicious dog to be walked or held on a leash because I feel like calling the humane society as this dog has proven with his barking and lunging at me to be vicious.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:14 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
It probably wouldn't be considered vicious.

https://www.animallaw.info/topic/sta...erous-dog-laws

As far as not be allowed to be walked on a leash that's better than being walked while not on a leash.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:20 PM

6,459 posts, read 3,980,997 times
I'm not understanding exactly what your problem is here. You don't appear to think this person is targeting you to intimidate you, you're just having (what I consider to be) an overreaction to a dog reacting to your car passing. It's not even that you're afraid the dog will get loose and you'll hit it with your car, or that you're afraid it will get loose and attack you when you're out walking or in your yard... you are literally so distressed by a dog (on a leash and under restraint by/control of its owner) barking at your car and lunging on its leash (whether "viciously" as you say, or simply that dogs like to bark at and often want to chase cars), one day out of the month, that you don't want to drive past. I'm not sure your issue is with the neighbor or the dog... do you have a fear of dogs or something?

Old 10-24-2019, 05:27 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
I have a female Labrador who is possibly the sweetest dog ever and very submissive towards people. But she will often growl and lunge towards cars. The saying "her bark is worse than her bite" applies here, and possibly in your situation as well.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:28 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
There is something called marauding, it's when an animal lunges at someone even if they are on a leash. I'd contact the local police to ask them about it. What your neighbor is doing could also be considered harassment. I'd tell him in no uncertain terms to stop doing it.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:34 PM

1,156 posts, read 941,766 times
So your neighbor stands in his front yard (which is his right) with his dog (which he has a right to own) on leash (which is responsible) and your issue is that it hurts your feelings that the dog apparently has a deep dislike of you which violates your right not to have your feelings hurt by a dog restrained by a leash held by the owner on his own property?

Just trying to suss this out.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It probably wouldn't be considered vicious.

https://www.animallaw.info/topic/sta...erous-dog-laws

As far as not be allowed to be walked on a leash that's better than being walked while not on a leash.
Well a dog who barks and lunges at someone in anger is proving he wants to attack that person therefore is vicious. But apart from that, its an attack on my nervous system to drive by a neighbor who has alot of NERVE to stand there holding his dog on a leash as the dog lunges at me and barks like he wants to attack when I did nothing, there SHOULD be a law against this as this neighbor doesn't learn anything from this, he keeps on doing this over and over again the times that I happen to see them and I dont know if they are doing this towards everyone who drives by or only me.

Its really sad that if ever the very first time a man showed such vicious anger towards someone, that man would be arrested in 1 minute but the law allows people to allow their dogs to show such vicious anger over and over again now for the 15th time like they have rights to harrass and disturb. The law needs to CLAMP DOWN on this repeated vicious disturbance and threat of attack by dog owners and their dogs.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I'm not understanding exactly what your problem is here. You don't appear to think this person is targeting you to intimidate you, you're just having (what I consider to be) an overreaction to a dog reacting to your car passing. It's not even that you're afraid the dog will get loose and you'll hit it with your car, or that you're afraid it will get loose and attack you when you're out walking or in your yard... you are literally so distressed by a dog (on a leash and under restraint by/control of its owner) barking at your car and lunging on its leash (whether "viciously" as you say, or simply that dogs like to bark at and often want to chase cars), one day out of the month, that you don't want to drive past. I'm not sure your issue is with the neighbor or the dog... do you have a fear of dogs or something?
I usually leave my house every 2 or 3 days and I happen to catch them their by chance once every month or 2 or 3 over the years. The dogs barking and lunging at me while im in my car has gotten worse for nothing I done on my part and its really getting to me. WHY should I have to be a subject to this? It causes me extreme stress and nervousness, and a mental disturbance to the point im thinking the moment I see him there with his dog is the moment I turn my car around. The law should not allow a dog owner to do this continuously towards any person walking or driving by. He knows his dog will lunge at me so why does he keep on bringing his dog to his very front lawn why not his back yard? This is the 15th time it happened to the point either I will turn my car around or better yet I will never drive pass there again, when backing out of my driveway I will not turn left, I will turn the opposite direction to avoid his house completely.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:08 PM

143 posts, read 144,557 times
Most dangerous dog laws require the dog do actual physical damage to a person or in some places another animal before being declared vicious. Barking and lunging at your car is not even close to that. Hell where I live leashed dogs can bark and lunge at pedestrians with the clear intent to do harm and as long as they do not make contact they are clear with the law.

Acting aggressively towards cars is not the same as people aggression. My parents' terrier is afraid motorcycles and puts on a show to scare them away. She thinks she is quite successful because all the motorcycles "run away" from us (i.e. they keep driving). She has met people that just got off motorcycles in parking lots and was happy to greet them but wary of waking the monster machine near them. The one time she met a motorcycle off leash she started charging it, realized she was getting close to the dog eating machine without any backup, and turned tail running back to safety. There is a reason for the saying, "All bark and no bite."

Old 10-24-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaynes288 View Post
Most dangerous dog laws require the dog do actual physical damage to a person or in some places another animal before being declared vicious. Barking and lunging at your car is not even close to that. Hell where I live leashed dogs can bark and lunge at pedestrians with the clear intent to do harm and as long as they do not make contact they are clear with the law.
Acting aggressively towards cars is not the same as people aggression. My parents' terrier is afraid motorcycles and puts on a show to scare them away. She thinks she is quite successful because all the motorcycles "run away" from us (i.e. they keep driving). There is a reason for the saying, "All bark and no bite."
The dog is acting aggressive towards me while im in my car (not towards my car) for no reason I know. What happens if hes walking his dog and im cutting the grass on my front lawn property and he walks by and the dog recognises me and starts to bark and lunge like he wants to attack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaynes288 View Post
Hell where I live leashed dogs can bark and lunge at pedestrians with the clear intent to do harm and as long as they do not make contact they are clear with the law.
WHY is the law allowing dog owners and their dogs to do this to innocent people on their own property or on a public side walk or street who are minding their own business and doing NOTHING to that dog and owner?

A dog owner and dog causing extreme nervousness and stress not only causes mental stress but may also cause physical stress from the result of that. Its being proven that extreme stress is not physically good for the body and thats what vicious barking and attack-lunging from a dog causes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
There is something called marauding, it's when an animal lunges at someone even if they are on a leash. I'd contact the local police to ask them about it. What your neighbor is doing could also be considered harassment. I'd tell him in no uncertain terms to stop doing it.
There should be a law that if a dog owner knows his dog barks and lunges at any person continuously like he wants to attack (this is the 15th time now the past 4 years) while his property meets a public place like a sidewalk or a street where the dog is not contained within a 5 or 6 foot fence but on a leash, the dog owner should receive a warning from the police or humane society.

Last edited by domic; 10-24-2019 at 07:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs